Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

They absolutely shouldn’t, and probably won’t. It’s the disadvantaged and SEN kids who massively lose out if they do.

But the thing that might close schools is the lack of teachers and sub availability. Schools cannot get subs and I can see the union pushing it in December to the point they ask for something stupid like finishing 1/2 weeks earlier for Xmas.

Anytime a principal can’t get a sub or a class is sent home, RTE and papers are on it immediately. If it starts to happen in bigger numbers it’ll be headline news (behind ‘de numbers’ of course).

Ironically enough, despite our school being riddled with Covid absentees, the department of education has decided to send 3 inspectors into our school next week for subject inspections. They are allowed to interact with upto 8 different classes each, while we are barely allowed take our class outside the door!

Inspectors are all qualified teachers, maybe they could be redeployed rather than checking does a school have a Covid policy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Presumably the strategy is that parents who are working from home may be more proactive in keeping kids out of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

This is ridiculous. NPHET did not dictate. They issued public health guidelines for the safety and health of the population with what was a new virus and novel to our immune systems. All of the measures was to slow down the spread of the virus

- the travel restrictions originally was there to prevent people spreading the virus to other parts of the country.

- the 9 euro meal was soakage to slow down drunkeness where one might easily let their guard down after some drinks.

These are just two examples of what we had to follow over the past 21 months or so.

There was no dictating from them. The population followed the guidelines for the most part because many people knew the virus was serious and would cause serioous issues with sickness and disease and deaths.

The vaccines have made conditions better for sure but we are still not out from this pandemic and there's guidelines to follow still.

The media is scum I will admit and the constant covid fear mongering. Its not fair to do that especially to older people. I was afraid of the virus at the start but the vaccines eased my nerves about it but I am still taking the virus and the pandemic seriously. I think it's important to follow the guidelines. I zoned out from the media and don't follow much of the covid news any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

The boosters are still only a relatively new thing for Ireland, start when? In October? The nursing homes were boosted first. Then older people in communities like the over 80s. The boosters are now going to health are workers and the over 70s and the 60+.

There's so many people to boost and it can't be done overnight or in a matter of a few short weeks. Ireland is in a difficult position too with the boosters. The boosters are being rolled out but there's also high infection rates and other viral infections going around so some vaccine appointments will be missed due to people developing symptoms.

A magic wand can't be waved and have everyone done overnight or within a few short weeks.

That's why it's important to slow the growth of the virus so it spreads less within the population while they get boosters into people.

• Advertisement

200k can be done a week. Over 4 weeks ago the decision was made that over 60’s could be booster. 800k could have been done on that period. How many were?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

God it's so reminiscent of October 2020.

Media pushing panic. Commentators calling for a new lockdown. Helen Lovejoy's going on about schools.

Just general pandemonium begging for "something to be done to stop rising cases".

Meanwhile, behind all this, the data all says cases have peaked which means hospital and ICU will follow in 4-14 days and the danger is effectively passed for now. Our health system is not about to collapse.

Any further restrictions at this point will do more damage; social, economic and political; than they will save.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I agree that they shouldn’t, but they haven’t exactly got a good record of making the right decision thus far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They also have to wait at least five months since the last dose though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My dads 69 and 5 months and 2 days since last AZ trying to get him to go today to walk-in Centre today. But I don’t they the folks believe me that he can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Big notice in yesterdays Times from HSE not to go with no appointments

People I know where turned away with no appointments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

But seeing others in here and online saying it worked. He’s very nervous and for sake of 30 minutes worth a chance!

Was that in Dublin IamwhoIam

My father has been eligible for the last 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The main issue I have is we were told that vaccines were our way out of this. Our path back to normality. The Boosters after 6 months will more than likely not lead us back to pre covid normality. The main issue now isn't the virus itself but the control NPHET seem to have when it comes to making decisions about restrictions on peoples lives. The state of our health service is also to blame. FF/FG have been in power pretty much since the foundation of the state so really need to take ownership of it's current state. The media really need to be brought to task also regarding their reporting of the daily positive case load likes it's a factor with pretty much everyone vaccinated. A general election should be called after Christmas. It's about time the people are given a say on how we go forward. If Holohan and NPHET want to run the country then let them put their names forward for office. The Boosters are a tough sell this time. I'd say we will be lucky to get 70-75 per cent uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Haven't checked. Was told by the occ health that while they were recording batch numbers etc that it wasn't at that stage anyhow.

Have you had yours? Is it gone on your cert?

No I’m getting mine Thursday so was just wondering how it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not seen it mentioned by people who've had boosters. Sindo suggested that they are reviewing the logistics of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Streifi

I used the HSE text line to ask exactly that and was told its only internally recorded on the HSE system but to date there is no possibility to add it to the cert and there has been no guidance yet on if/when it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Streifi

Same as the initial shot where you're handed a card with name and vax batch number and ticked if you got 3rd dose (the one for immuno compromised people) ot a booster dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Just rang the HSE to give them fair warning I'm not interested in the booster shot and maybe give the place to someone waiting and told I'd be just put down as a no show. Terrible organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd love know what the supposed large portion of society that are wanting restrictions to be reintroduced are actually wanting. What level of restrictions are they willing to push on the rest of us so they can feel safe in their 'I'm alright Jack' little worlds.

Bar the one poster on here, with his daily rants about nightclubs I haven't seen anyone calling for anything in particular. Like do they want hospitality closed, 5km restrictions, non essential shops, building sites.

We are supposed to be living with covid yet at the first sign of rising cases they're running to the media surveyors crying about how dreadful everything is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

My mother got a walk in booster yesterday morning in Citywest, no issues as long as she was 5 months after her second dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Preprint published today examining transmission amongst prisoners: Transmission potential of vaccinated and unvaccinated persons infected with the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant in a federal prison, July-August 2021 | medRxiv

... clinicians and public health practitioners should consider vaccinated persons who become infected with SARS-CoV-2 to be no less infectious than unvaccinated persons. These findings are critically important, especially in congregate settings where viral transmission can lead to large outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Wouldnt say hero there's some people out there genuinely terrified and best let them have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I used to work for one of these polling companies once long time ago. Probably the recipients were given five or six options and only the last option was 'No restrictions at all'.

Whereas you could create a poll question in which four out of five options are some variation of 'No restrictions'.

The most important question re a poll is who is paying the polling company to carry it out imo.

Advertisement