Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What are we talking about projecred priced for urea/can /pasture .I was thinking of buying a few incalf heifers as replacements for the spring but will they be cheaper in the spring the way things are looking .I am only small scale anyway but still dont want to be caught with dear incalf heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In much of the world it is heading to a 1000 euros a tonne and viewed as a good purchase this side of spring.

Urea to be specific.

1200 a tonne is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It’s a real genuine option and one that shouldn’t be scoffed at or just ruled out ….milk price strong and looks to stay strong cashing in some stock to secure a key input certainly an option ….relastically how much slurry can u stay putting out on your grazing ground outside of April when rotation shortens ….less will help but will leave a taint ….all these new grasses need there chemical n fix to stay performing ….slowing down and carrying few less cows next year something I’m considering ,off loading anything I don’t like ,3 spinners etc …will still have lots replacement calves comming through …..with Glanbia peak supply worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

With milk probably going past 40c base next year I can't see stock getting cheaper. And if fertilizer can be sourced albeit expensive that sort of milk price will more than compensate. If fertilizer can't be got then thats another story...

Not just fertiliser tho …throw in fuel ,power and concentrate on top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Neighbour tried to buy old stock can last week of local glanbia co-op offered 625 euro a ton immediate payment and they wouldn't sell, they have locked away any stock they have and aren't selling so much as a bag at the minute...

Heard from a pretty reliable source if they divided out what fertilizer they had in stock two weeks ago it would work out at half a ton per active co-op member

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

How quickly will meal price increase.

If milk price is over 40 cent and meal stays under 350 just fire in extra meal into them.

Also lads could buy silage or beet maize for this winter in order to spare there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Could there be a reference year on cow numbers? I have beet ordered. Problem here is some of the land is too hilly to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't see a reference year for cow numbers. That could see lads still on huge stocking rates per hectare. I would see something more like limiting stocking rates on a grazing platform. Whether that is through the NAP or a straight stocking rate diktat I wouldn't care to guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I’ll get rid of 3 titters or anything that’s not performing but definitely not heifers if it comes to that

It’s not slurry I’m on about using it’s well diluted slurry with dairy washings and rain water, a local man I know did just that this year after seeing Kevin o Hanlon at it and has reduced his fert usage in half

we're fine for peak milk

peak milk won’t be an issue next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What's replacement rate/ herd breakdown looking like next year, most of the older cohort still there? Spring calving rate good enough? Would be a good target i reckon. Keep intakes as good as you can in spring and grass right thru the summer and I don't see why not, bad weather etc dependant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Next year will be 20% 1st calvers, 30% 2nd and 50% 3rd. Only 1 cow replaced due to death with a twisted gut. Everything else went in calf.

Calving will be 89% from Jan 15th to March 10th. The rest are all done by April 4th on due dates.

500kgs a realistic target then imo. Well setup for the year ahead with those figures and performance, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Critical to put in place a realistic plan to bank enough winter feed for 2022. That plan will include, culling, conserving this year's stocks, and securing the fertiliser for not only the silage ground, but also enough of your grazing ground, so that you don't have to resort to grazing your silage next May....We've had high prices before, but we've never had the a set of circumstances like we have at present.

There's enough fertiliser in the country for the Jan /Feb period importers holding off placing March orders.

Some form of commitment will have to be given to importers to go and secure March product...and they won't secure it for less than the quoted current prices. Coops may be able to give that commitment, as they can recover any loss, but a farmer buying through non coop merchants is either going to have to pay up front, have some kind of cast iron contractual agreement, or run credit for one third of your normal tonnage allowance.

Merchants are going to double their margin (for security) and this is on a trebled product price.

Secure it...piece by piece where you can beg borrow and steal..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

What about the guys that are only just getting by? The co ops don't seem to be committing to buying at the moment which means they think/hope the price will fall before spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They know that it won't fall before spring.

Fertilizer always rises as the season goes on.

The one time in our life that global supply has been massively curtailed in an unprecedented way is not the year it'll drop in spring..

The main thing to keep in mind is that tough as it will be here, the major global milk providers globally where production costs are brutal will be savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Great back end in fairness for conserving silage. I'm away young lad let cows back out this morning

All I’ll say is I’m ruleing nothing out to do as alps said secure winter 2022 fodder and avoid having to graze silage ground in April /may …..off loading some heifer weanlings or in calf heifers and pulling the hand break for a year ….nothing wrong with it

on the Glanbia peak supply ….the factory isn’t built ,stock are on ground ,herds maturing that issue will be very real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ginger22

so ye think we have problems, spare a thought for farmers in British Columbia and Washington state flooding

https://www.thebullvine.com/news/thousands-of-farm-animals-dead-in-b-c-floods-agriculture-minister-says/#

• Advertisement

I logged into the national dairy conference during brunch earlier. Some waste of my time it was. Clover seems to be the new win win. They had all their choir boys lined up to tell us how it's done. That Galway lad with 270 cows and no full-time labour unit was talking when I logged out. Farmer management was to blame for farmers not getting enough grazings out of every field. They must think everyone is farming Moore park land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭cosatron

I don't know his name. I'd say he's that young lad they're always wheeling out. Near tuam.

Kevin Moran, I'd say, he must of put in a merry go round if that's the case, had a team of lads working for him when he was wheeled out on tour a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The guys that have clover established are actually spreading less N

I don’t see what the issue is, everyone went away from clover because it took over swards previously when the only available variety was cheiftan

clover has moved on like the grass varieties

Found over years your often told a lot of stuff at farm walks …..your also not told lots …don’t get too hung up on any of them any more …Tegasc advice ditto ..clover has moved on ,I’m a fan but it’s limited in what it’ll do in a lowish sr scenario it thrives ,higher sr it’s a help and I find that’s it you’ll save a bit on fertiliser for 2/3 months if weather is good .didn’t bother with the conference earlier ,don’t know if I missed much .presume it was dara Killeen or Kevin Moran they were on about in Galway

Theirs a good chunk of land in the Midlands that their shouldn't even be a attempt at setting clover on, have you seen any teagasc advisors our seed reps outline why?

Whether we like it or not N use is gonna be reduced so figuring out if it can be used in your situation is what needs to be done. Clover taking over wasn't an issue, it's bare patches in spring and autumn and lower ground cover along with persistency in heavy ground due to less chance to graze without damage in the shoulders along with weed management then as well

To manage the shoulders at least a bale extra per cow is reccomended.

Find out what info is there and take what ye want from it, no one makes anyone do anything, well bar the buckos in Europe and then the dep interpretation of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭green daries

Kevin Moran rotary parlour couple of staff at least ( or maybe 5 part-time ) everything is contracted out even fertilizer iirc he's not at home long enough to have no labour it's the usual drivel same spin as always 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Let's say on a 100 cow herd, a bale a cow is 2000 euros for talk sake with added fert usage for those paddocks. Are the savings that huge when you have to use clover safe sprays also

Advertisement