Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Powers 3 Swallow 30 in Tesco. That'll do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Did a large splurge on Scotch in the last month. Decided I wanted to try a really peaty type since I tend to prefer really strong flavours in most things, so bought a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail at a duty free. Absolutely delicious, just great stuff. So between sales in the south and a trip to Newry last weekend I've since bought Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 and Talisker 10. Think I'd class Ardbeg as my favourite (so richly flavoured) but the Laphraoig might be the most interesting (like a tasty, salty groundwater). Talisker I haven't had too much of yet, but so far it's doing the least for me. I think there's something in the finish that tasted soapy/chemically to me but hopefully that might dissipate as I get used to it.

On a side note it did make me wonder if we'll ever start to see Irish whiskey match Scotch in terms of having such interesting flavours at a reasonable price point? At the moment there's just not the same value to be had from a lot of Irish stuff around the €50 mark in comparison to Scotch. Now I know the Irish industry is quite young overall in comparison to Scotland (and we've higher taxes etc) but I do feel that most of the time a lot of our stuff is wildly overpriced and often not that distinct from each other.

Probably not a new opinion, I think it just really dawned on me over the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Opened the Ardbeg Wee Beastie last night. Presently surprised. Lots of smoke but morsly front end and lovely citrus to it. Not a long finish by any means but still nice and sweet.

Also, my brother wants to get a nice bottle to share with me and my dad for Christmas - Irish. His budget is €100. I've had neither but I suggested Redbreast Cask Strength or 15 year old, which would you folks recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got a half dozen nice bottles delivered to me the other day from the O'Brien's Irish whiskey sale:

Green Spot - 55 - goes without saying

Irishman Single Malt 45 - not had this before but their Founders Reserve is so good I have to try this.

Bushmills 10YO Malt - 39 - haven't had this in about 20 years

Powers Three Swallow - 33 - Powers is probably the best 'ordinary' whiskey out there so this should be decent

Irishman Founders Reserve - 30 - Love this so got two.

The mrs still isn't talking to me 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Received my order (very well packages as usual), and you don't have to break the bottle - easily removed, and really is rather a nice gift set at the price, with the bonus of the donation which is made for each one. Indicated limited edition, though how limited, who knows - I think these were on sale in the Midleton distillery shop also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think they sold out quick last time they were out, but I imagine they upped the numbers this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I've been gifted a bottle of Penderyn Celt and was wondering if anyone's tried it? I'm more of a Bourbon drinker myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Jameson Black Barrell Proof.

€60, treated myself. Very smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

A lot of flippers will be unhappy that they have released more bird feeders. I know one lad who has three from last year hoping to sell them on.

• Advertisement

Doing a fitness programme so took a month out from the whiskey to coincide with it. I'll be back on it next week for the Irish Whiskey Societys Presidents tasting. Six whiskeys and a cocktail for €25 delivered. I went for the Festive Old Fashioned.

• Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye
    • Redbreast 15 La Maison du Whisky (Trad Pot)
    • Mitchell & Son Green Spot (Silver Screw Cap, previous bottling)
    • Midleton Single Pot Still Second Fill ex-Bourbon (Cask Pull, Cask Strength) [John's Lane Component]
    • J.J. Corry The Flintlock Batch 3
    • Writers Tears Cask Strength 2021

We will also be including a Craft Cocktail Whiskey Cocktail from Bar 1661; you can select one from this line up including their special holiday edition 'Festive Old Fashioned':

• Festive Old Fashioned. The Festive Old Fashioned is a slow winter sipper, made using Bullit Bourbon and seasonal flavours of fig, caramel, orange spiced bitters and a dash of PX sherry.
    • Old Fashioned. Made to its classic recipe dating back nearly 200 years, there has never been a cocktail with such a fitting name: The Old Fashioned. American whiskey, sugar and bitters - nothing more, nothing less.
    • Banana Old Fashioned. A tropical twist on everyone's favourite whiskey cocktail, the Banana Old Fashioned has a Caribbean feel with some overproof rum, banana liqueur and chocolate bitters, all swimming in Bulleit Rye Whiskey.
    • Whiskey Sour. The Whiskey Sour is part of a large family of drinks made by mixing lemon, sugar and bitters to your favourite spirit. The original recipe has been tweaked by using Bulleit Bourbon blended with Roe and Co Irish Whiskey and leaving the egg white out. 

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Listrydude

Anyone purchase the Waterford Whisky Micro Cuvee: Hearth? Grabbed a bottle yesterday. Can't see them lasting too long...

Welcome to the dark side. That Uigeadail is something special alright. Your not wrong on your point about prices. Hopefully the industry will adjust as it matures. Some good value out there but there has been a lot of releases in the 50-100 price bracket that the liquid in the bottle doesn't justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Very interesting tasting in Celtic whiskey fest tonight, "Tullamore Dew, Casks with Character".

Really broadens Your mind on what they are doing. Some very interesting whiskeys on show. Looking forward to some of the whiskeys coming down the track with them.

That was the tasting I thought looked the most interesting from that festival. Was gonna sign up to it but I'm away this weekend and if I don't do the tastings live I find I struggle to get to them then. Glad to hear your good report and hopefully we get some decent releases from them soon.

Picked up a bottle of Boann New Make spirit which went on sale yesterday. Only a 200ml bottle but at 63% it's probably better that it is.

Single Pot Still “New Born” New Make Spirit

€24,95

20cl

Voted World’s Best New Make & Young Spirit at World Whiskies Awards in March 2021

Boann Distillery’s mixed mashbill Single Pot Still Spirit won the World’s Best New Make Spirit at the World Whiskies Awards 2021.

This “New Born” New Make Spirit has been produced in Boann Distillery’s state-of-the-art distillery, which is the first in Ireland to employ nano-technology and pioneering sub coolers.

This Single Pot Still Spirit is a mash of 40% malted barley, 55% green barley, 3.75% oats and 1.25% rye.

Bottled at 63% ABV. This is your opportunity to taste the Best New Make Spirit in the World!

Voted World’s Best New Make and Young Spirit in 2021 • Colourless • 63% ALC/VOL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Peaty Scotches are a gateway to whisky for a surprising amount of people, myself included. It took a while for me to get around to being able to appreciate more subtle whisky styles - and then I came full circle and went back to preferring Islay and island whiskies most of all.

I agree on some of the inflated price arguments when it comes to Irish whiskey, but the main thing to recognise is that - although it’s not entirely homogenous as a style -generally speaking if someone enjoys peated whiskies in particular then domestic Irish whiskey are just a bad fit for them.

As far as new distilleries go, I do worry that UK distilleries are generally performing to a higher standard. Not sure why that is, but when I compare young whiskies from the likes of Kilchoman and Cotswolds to ours I struggle to say they aren’t markedly better… And sometimes selling for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Have one on order, should be an interesting one.

Managed to bag a bottle of Dingle batch 6 CS which I think is an absolute belter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Got a bottle of blue spot earlier today, looking forward to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't see the point of new make tbh, the whole point of whisk(e)y is the wood.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But if something tastes good and is enjoyable to drink, what more "point" does it need? New make can be really lovely but people are so caught up in whiskey that they can't taste the spirit for what it is - a spirit, a grain/malt spirit, schnapps, eau de vie, moonshine, poitin.

I haven't tasted this newmake in question but I have no reason to believe that it couldn't be a delicious spirit. It's not whiskey. Why does it need a point?

Rant over.

(ignoring the wood/whisky/whole point comment 🤔)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Where you get get one from, haven't been able to find one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Just over 10 years ago, before the Irish whiskey boom, Redmonds Ranelagh were selling Green spot for €35, standard price. It was a well regarded, but not well marketed whiskey. O’briens had the 12 year old Redbeast on sale for €32. The price inflation since then is so huge it’s understandable that the likes of scotch like laphroigh, laguvulin and Ardbeg seem more enticing now.

Around that time, IDL rebranded Green Spot and Redbreast and released Yellow Spot and Power's John Lane - thus reviving the Single Pot Still category. Along with this came a considerable price hike - around 30% iirc. Thing is, this was followed by a huge increase in sales for both Green spot and Redbreast.

The consumer told IDL that they wanted more expensive Irish whiskey and IDL obliged!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My favourite bourbon

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

BLUE SPOT

Mitchells have it online @ 80euro. Max 2 per order. Free shipping over 100 euro so worth your while topping up with some thing else. Also available in Bow Street walk in shop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Opened a bottle of Lagavulin 16 last night… I think the second or third one this year.

I think this remains my “go to” / best personal all-rounder, whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Yeah I got it in their shop in Sandycove, had plenty in stock. Although he said one per customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If the whole point of whiskey was the wood, then why would distillers be distilling different ways, and using different mash bills?

I actually like getting to try new make, and I'm going to pick up a bottle of the Boann Distillery one to try.

I got to try new make from Dingle a few weeks ago, and then have their core single malt alongside to compare, which I found interesting.

• Advertisement

Apart from new make being a major part of the story of whiskey and being interesting to anyone interested in whiskey, I think it can be a lovely drop on its own right, too.

Advertisement