Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It should be taken into account that the longterm November monthly average temperature is an average of two very different values at the start and end of the month, and therefore comparing short periods within the month to the overall average monthly figure is misleading. This time of the year there is a sharp drop in the daily or weekly averages, as can be seen below.

For example, the longterm average daily temperature (purple line) for Casement at the start of November is a around 8.5 °C while at the end of the month it's around 6.0 °C. That's a sharp drop of around 0.6 degrees per week. So taking the current running average for this November so far may be above the longterm montly average, but there's another half of the month to go, so let's see how the month ends overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The Casement average for the 1st to 14th Nov period is +1.6c, and higher if we bring it up to the 16th.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder will kermit start a cold spell/or snap thread over the weekend? Whatever happens I'm sure it will be nothing too exciting but I'm delighted we will be getting at least the high possibility of fairly harsh frosts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They are getting very excited over on Netweather - I can't understand a word of it, but I assume it's all forecasts for the UK exclusively and doesn't include Ireland...? I know a lot of it is still Fantasy Island and they are known for frequently throwing their toys out of the pram, so to speak 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some of the recent GFS runs have been very wintry by later next week and that would include parts of Ireland too. The problem is, the GFS has been known to over-amplify cold at this time range and it wouldn't take much of a downgrade to reduce this wintry potential to the status of further coldish days as we already expect for the early part of next week, taking the snow streamer potential out of play and reducing the frosts to less severe. There have also been some model runs showing entirely different outcomes.

My excitement is about a 6 on the 10 point scale at this point. But I would like to see several days of this output without a lot of chop and change, and would also like to be within five days of any given map showing wintry potential to become a really strong believer.

I think it was around end of Jan 2020 that the GFS had similar looking charts that never materialized even faintly, so there is that, however, the GFS has been doing fairly well since some upgrades too. We are at that preliminary stage where you can start to look for tabloid headlines and that sort of early indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not raining and clouds not particularly dense, yet very dark for the time of day (1.45pm), so much so that lights must be put on. I'd not be surprised if there was some La Palma ash mingled up in those clouds to be honest that is blocking out more sun light (even if through the clouds) than usual.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I cut the lawn last week, the latest i ever did. The Ground was saturated but grass is still growing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just back from walking the dog. Its so mild and bright out. The flies hit me in the face on the way out the door along with the warmth in the air. Home from work early tomorrow so plan to mow the grass again. Cut it last week also. Its grown so much since then! Shrubs all still growing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Lots of spiders still on the go. I killed a false widow spider today in the kitchen as well. First time I ever saw one up here. Great. Whether it snows or not next week I'm hoping for some heavy frosts to kill off the insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

So much for the forecast. Drizzle to frequent showers for the last 2 hours.

I should have cut the grass last night. Frustrating.

Co. Leitrim.

Stunning morning. Watching the sun rise above the Loch into a blue blue sky. Gorgeous.

A day to wrap up warm and get things done outside.

Just a footnote to this. The wind will cut you in two. Layering is your friend.

Post edited by OldRio on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stunner of a day, cold and snow is nice but the more of these achievable kind of days we can get this winter the better 🙂 November has been great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Driving home late last night and there was sleet mixed in with showers on the higher part of the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a beautiful day today in Meath, gin blue skies all day, not a cloud in the sky and it doesn't even feel that cold. It's cooler than it has been recently but temperatures feel normal for the time of year. The coming week will be largely dry, particularly eastern and southern areas which may escape the shower's until next weekend.

The Irish sea showers are quite near the coast of South Wicklow now

Here's my view looking SE towards tge sea which is about 2kms away in that direction

Rainbow visible now from that shower train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Love this type of evening. Cool and clear with Venus bright in the south and the moon just coming up in the north east

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just in now and yeah what a lovely clear evening. Great day getting some winter jobs done in the garden, cutting grass too. Must try and get a pic of the moon tonight, it will be frosty soon, already down to 5.4C here near Tralee, high of 9.9C, quite calm all day apart from a slight breeze in the afternoon for an hour or so, bit of cloud about earlier but totally clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lovely evening after a great day to be out and about, sunny and clear after a crisp start, thankfully it looks like the mild mucky weather from last week wont be around this week and we'll have more weather like today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Tomorrow and Tuesday will be milder than today with temperatures around average 8 to 11C then a bit cooler from Wednesday to about Saturday with temperatures in the 5 to 9C range. It is unlikely to be cold enough for wintry precipitation except maybe over high ground on northern mountains and perhaps the Wicklow mountains but it will generally be a dry week with perhaps a chance of more unsettled conditions from Friday and into next weekend. Plenty of garden opportunities over the next 4 days.

Beautiful weekend in Cork. Out all day yesterday with the kids, pottering in the garden and on the green in bone dry conditions. Got much chillier on Saturday afternoon when the wind seemed to turn to a northerly direction. The sky today was amazing, and the autumn colours just seem to be set off by the blue skies. I'm not sure I remember such a dry, calm and mild November, or one with such an amazing show of foliage due to the lack of wind. I can smell our first frost of the year in the air tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm:

Casement 1 degree

Gurteen 1

Claremorris, Dublin airport ,Athenry 2 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

1.3c here in my area of meath, nice frost on the grass

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice clear night with frost on cars here in Kerry, 1.3C and calm

Pic of Waning Gibbous Moon a short time ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

6.5c by the sea in Greystones with a stiff and heavy rain shower now.

• Advertisement

Frost and ice on the roads this morning. Powder blue sky and sunshine. Beautiful.

Leitrim

Advertisement