Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Where r ye reading the details of the new CAP, I don't have subscription to the Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was in Anfield today. Front row seats. Kids got a photo with Jason mc Ateer. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My nephews were at the Tallagh stadium last night - had an absolute ball!!:)

Take what you read with a grain of salt but, agriland, farming independent, social meeja from whatever farming org you fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭straight

Ear to the ground this week was a new low. Ella tried her best to get the old woman to cry. Camera man zoomed in on it. "Expert" said coastal erosion is a natural process and Ella kept suggesting that it must be somehow linked to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,538 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seen that. Felt real sorry for the couple. Don't know anything of the couple or circumstances or whether that's their only residence or holiday home. But you'd take from it that it's an all consuming worry now for the couple and especially the husband.

If it's an only residence you'd think something could be done to build another residence a couple of hundred yards back from the existing house. I've seen cases where just from neglect of an existing farmhouse, the council go and build a modest house for people.

It's all circumstances though. But definitely did notice this new series of ettg looking more into the personal and human element.

I saw on another social media form someone went over to Diddly Squat farmshop in the UK.

You'd want your wellies just to go from the carpark to the shop door.

Be an experience I suppose in it's self if not from a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We were on a nature walk with Eanna Na Lamhna last weekend, a day organised by Cavan Co Council.

Looking at a 150 year old beech she told us that it sequester about 5 tin of carbon at it's current size.

As the average citizen is responsible for 12 tons per year, she pointed out that we need to any 2.5 trees per person, per year.

Say about 12 million........ij

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is that for a 150 year old tree or would a 10year old tree sequester that much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I will be well dead in 150 years time.

There are no beech trees growing around here but remember they are an introduced species and not native. I thought about bringing some seedlings from my place in NCD to see if they would grow here but I will wait to see if we go for any of these new schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Which is not many in reality. I've planted a 1000 trees in the last 2 years alone and you'd be hard pressed to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I hope that Irish nurseries have been gearing up for the imminent demand for native tree species and that we don't have to rely on imported stock (with their associated diseases) to plant on our land. I have witnessed the slow demise of all the Elm trees at home and I'm seeing the same happening with Ash around here. Both diseases were brought into the country from imported stock.

Edit to add - in the 90's my late FIL was awarded a commendation for his life long work planting hardwood trees throughout the farm hedgerows.

Or the average citizen could live more like our grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

For the past 2 years here, I have been gathering small saplings around the place and have put them into a mini nursery in a small corner. A little bit of a pit cover to control the weeds and a small prune helps greatly Better to have local trees going forward.

It's amazing what you would gather in a couple of hours. Hopefully this will be acceptable for the future schemes with tree planting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Grueller

Probably not because the all knowing dept inspectors will need to see a receipt to prove that they are what they are looking at.

Well, the 6 of is tested positive for covid. No symptoms with the children, wife is a bit wheezy, I just have a bit of a cough. Thank you Pfizer.... I'd say the whole country must have it and don't know it. No way would I have went for a test only for the wife sending me. They should do more random testing to get a clearer picture of infection rates especially in schools.

I think people really haven't a clue what they're on about really when it comes to carbon. 5t a year or 5t in total?

The only way they'd have any legitimacy on the carbon talk is say we'll cut this tree down and turn to biochar and this is the carbon we've saved. Otherwise it's all a circular cycle not really worth a monkeys talk. It's the same talk on cows on methane but in reverse talk.

Another point. Get a co2 monitor and put it a foot above the ground in that deciduous forest soil today and the reading will be above the average with that leaf fall decaying and the trees having shed their leaves.

Put that co2 monitor in a green field today with optimum soil pH, P and K, etc and it'll be below average. Still growing.

That's for a 150 year old tree, so it needs to be an ongoing process of 12 million a year, forever.

And of course, if they die and rot, or are burned, the stored carbon is released.

Oak is probably best, due to its long life, but as Enna pointed out, we are never gonna plant our way out of this.

Population control and reduction of fossil fuel use will be urgently needed.

Now, a Covid type virus/pandemic might sort out population growth, or climate change might trigger a global famine with the same results, or a dirty little war in Ukraine with Nato becoming involved might see Putin turn off the gas supply to Western Europe ( double benefit there, population reduction and drop in gas consumption) but I feel there's little point in us greenwashing ourselves with our electric cars and peat bog protection when we are importing electricity to charge the cars and importing peat for horticulture and worst of all, importing lignite briquettes to throw on our fires.

Lignite, the dirty old man of East German Power production....

We probably need nuclear power, be that our own or French, to maintain our current lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've over populated the planet, It won't be sorted and with countries with the biggest populations not buying into it, it's dead in the water already.

Won't be a word about it in ten years, and in the meantime brazil etc will have taken our meat markets

Yep, we have gone from 4.5 billion people in 1980 to 7.2 billion in 2020.

All of who are travelling, cooking, heating themselves and having children who need more houses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Im just out of out of isolation. Young fella got it either in school or at football. He tested positive but the rest of us didn't. We were told to lock him away in his room for ten days. He is only 8 so I sacraficed myself and joined him. We are lucky enough to have a empty house over the road that is owned by a man in Scotland. He told me when covid started that if anyone needs to use the house to isolate belt away. We went in there and I went for a test after 3 days. I got it no symptoms thank god. Wife droped off supplies every couple of days. So 2 weeks of Netflix and playstation later we are out. I never want to see FIFA 21 again. I have probably put on 2 stone.

Now I know people will think I was crazy to intentionally getting the virus. But it was the choice I had to make. I couldn't just isolate an 8 year old. It was scary for him just having it never mind having to be alone for 10 days

I don't think you're crazy, I don't even like bringing our young lad (nearly 4) for testing because he hates it. Couldn't be locking a child away on their own, pandemic or not.

That sounds worse than a 2 week sun holiday. My wife brought it home from work and gave it to the rest of us. We all isolating on the farm together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

That why I think all foreign aid to third world countries should be tied to the implementation of family planning measures and increased education and opportunities for young girls so that they don't end up being treated like breeding livestock as is currently the case in too many of these places. The aid "industry" itself needs serious reform too as much of its current approach is massively wastefull and often self serving(in terms of pay and perks for its upper level staff)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Good loser

Heard some years ago that Coillte planted a large property in Westmeath with 100% beech.

Maybe 250 - 350 acres.

Anybody know it and how it has grown?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Any chance anyone knows where in the South East youd pick up a good quality Comeux/welding cap? Or anyone selling them online in Ireland? Hard come by in the few local spots ive tried.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

Farm&industrial,KWS or Ferns in ross those 3 would be the best bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How do you claim your medical expenses?

We use an accountant to do our accounts and want to claim on medical expenses, can you do yourself or do you need the accountant to claim on your behalf

Advertisement