Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Also, not quite sure how they had a head-on collision if they weren't on a a two-way cycle track. I didn't give the story any credence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that looks like it could be fatal.

about 20 years ago, probably more, there was a fatality on the (i think) N7 - in heavy fog, a fire tender was attending a crash, and a woman driving a car drove into the tender at such speed she didn't even have a chance to brake. she was killed instantly; i can't remember if there was an estimate of how fast she was driving, but as mentioned, it was heavy fog and as is standard, the fire tender had all blue lights flashing, but she was still driving that fast in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

For a thread where many regulars call out low brow comments on journal.ie (and others) comments like above should also be condemned.

It's in the same vane as some of the low ball comments on the Twitter link.

There's probably a man dead there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I remember that incident and whilst any fatality is awful, her reckless driving led to her death.

I recall driving back to Leixlip one night after a wedding in Mullingar and there was desperate fog that I could barely see the grass at the edge of the road (pre-motorway days). The headlights from any approaching cars only became visible at the last moment. There was no option but to drive slowly. Despite all of this, the number of cars that overtook us at speed was unreal. I honestly don't know how they could make it home without carnage.

• Advertisement

Apparently the truck in the above video had a large crash cushion and the speculation was that the driver's airbag went off so hopefully no fatality.

One of the replies to that tweet shows images of of damaged maintenance vans (despite the high-viz)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Can we set a bot to auto-reply that photo to anyone who says high-vis should be compulsory/saves lives/etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I think that part of the problem is that people fail to anticipate stationary vehicles on a motorway if there isn't a queue of vehicles. And that perhaps the perceived size of a stationary object does not increase linearly with distance - so if you're approaching a stationary vehicle at speed you may not perceive that it is not moving until it's too late to stop.

A few years ago when the M50 was being widened I was driving in lane 1 at 100 km/h. There was very little traffic and it was moving freely. The car in front of me had its brake lights on, which is nothing unusual as people often apply the brakes for no apparent reason. I was getting closer and then I realised that the car was not just moving slowly, it had come to a complete stop. Fortunately I had been keeping plenty of distance and was able to safely move into lane 2. As I passed, the driver had the rear offside door open and was standing outside the car with both offside doors open, leaning into the back of the car as though they were getting something from the back seat.

Had I been driving as close to that car as people normally do on the M50, I would probably have been doing 80-90 km/h when I drove into it.

I will always remember the surprisingly short interval that elapsed between "that car is moving more slowly than I'd expect" and "that car is not moving at all".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, one area that i do think hi-vis (in a general sense, i guess just 'visibility') may be important, and paradoxically is difficult to cater for, is turn signals.

e.g. a builder's vest, whatever it does offer; if the person is wearing dark sleeves or gloves, doesn't provide for a turn signal from a cyclist being visible. and the extra issue here is for a motorist approaching from any direction in any urban or suburban area, their headlights are 99.9% likely to be dipped, so even if the cyclist is wearing some sort of retroreflective gloves, the headlights are unlikely to catch them in a significant manner.

I know (very well I know) that no one is interested in wrist lights, but they do a great job of making hand gestures conspicuous, and they do seem to cut down on people pulling out of side roads. The bio-motion of arm movements is also something onlookers seem to register very quickly.

I'd go so far as to say that in urban scenarios, I'm happy enough to have a fairly mediocre front light, once I have wrist lights as well, as in urban contexts the be-seen effect is more important than the to-see-by, and they're more versatile in the be-seen sense.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a phenomenon related to motion camouflage, where someone approaching smoothly is harder to notice than someone approacing with a bit of lateral motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I would've said the motion aspect was well known/ well discussed, hence reflectors on pedals. I'd nearly have some time for the argument if the demand was reflective ankle bands rather than builders vests when the torso is probably the worst place for reflective detail in an urban context.

Yeah, there's an Austrlian study mentioned ages ago in the thread were they figured reflective material around the knees and ankles was more effective, because of biomotion. You can see this effect when you see firefighters on the news walking in front of the cameras in the middle distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On many major road work sites , the guys are wearing orange hi-viz suits with reflective strips around the lower arm /wrists and and lower legs-

The dayglow colour is really only any good if it contrasts from the background - you may easily distinguish one hi-viz wearing pedestrian who's walking on the road ...

But won't see him at all if he's walking along side a stream of hi-viz wearing pedestrians on the foot path -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

But won't see him at all if he's walking along side a stream of hi-viz wearing pedestrians on the foot path

That's the same reason motorcyclists are against the mandatory use of daytime running lights on cars.

Well "hi viz"/ reflective panels were of limited use this morning given the amount of motorists with no lights (never mind the number with DRL only)

i hadn't know that was the sentiment with motorcyclists. i've been driving with lights on all the time, out of habit, for 20 years.

I heard it mentioned when there was a push (used to be annual) for motorists to use their lights at all times over the winter/ clock changed period. It has seemed to die down - both the requests and the campaign against it (maybe it was just a battle lost). fwiw I don't feel the high percentage of DRL has made any difference on the bicycle - biggest issue is still people not looking, or going when they're not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

I just turn my lights on in the car any time I drive, regardless of time of year or time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Section 8.6 is the relevant section of manual for mobile lane closures.

There is a reason it is so detailed; having vehicles stopped on a high speed road will lead to high speed impacts if there are shortcomings in terms of planning, training and implementation of controls.

Typically driving on a motorway, especially off peak (which is a requirement for MLCs) doesn't require a lot of input from driver and perception reaction time is typically longer than in a lot of other situations.

Some drivers on motorways (in particular) are really poor at anticipating traffic ahead of them.

Here's the accident location (from the co ordinates on the tik tok video). It's the M2 near junction 3

https://goo.gl/maps/xioBX4smmUbtCwqn7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Markcheese

To be fair a motorbike (with lights on ) in a stream of cars ( with lights on ) Is perfectly visable - there's no "gap" in the stream - a motorbike with lights off in a stream of traffic (with lights on ) may look like a gap in the traffic ....

When I had a small motorbike , I always drove with my lights on , wearing a black jacket crouched over a small black and red motorbike wasn't great in poor visability ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

“It's great to see the kids going to school now, and the cyclists, I think it's become the norm now to wear high-vis jackets."

says Evelyn Cusack, Met Eireann

Funnily enough, speaking of Met Éireann, Joanna Donnelly (at least at one stage) decided not to do the norm (if it is indeed the norm).

walking on foot is the best way of walking, to be fair.

Lots are for mandatory hi viz for pedestrians, until it's pointed out it means motorists exiting their car to go their house/ shop/ chipper/ pub too.

I've mentioned previously a big difference to how I'm treated on the road when I nip to the shop in my "normal" clothes than when I'm in heading out for a spin, even on the same stretch of road. Jeans = good, lycra = bad (maybe I need the Carrera bibs afterall...)

Yeah, that's my assumption; that dressing like a "cyclist" (whether that's road gear, or "safety" gear) brings up the punishment passes and the prank passes, as opposed to dressing like a "normal person". I don't know if there is much research on it, apart from Ian Walker's study, which didn't really show any statistically significant difference between the various ways of dressing he tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

That Cllr Brady of Cavan must be a different Cllr Brady of Cavan from this Cllr Brady of Cavan:

and a different Cllr Brady of Cavan from this Cllr Brady of Cavan:

More from Cllr Brady

'It should be a criminal offence to not wear high visibility clothing on public roads'. Cllr Brady said the wearing of hi-viz should be mandatory for all pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists.

“It’s common sense but some people don’t have that”, said Cllr Aiden Fitzpatrick (FF), with Cllr TP OReilly (FG) saying it’s unfair on motorists to expect them to be able to see a pedestrian or cyclist on a dark road.

The motion, calling on the Department of Transport to make the wearing of high-viz clothes mandatory received unanimous support from councillors

did the good councillor actually say she wants it to be a criminal offence, or is that a journalist who does not know the difference?

• Advertisement

She wants it, said so in Cavan county chamber - the first line of newspaper article.

It should be a criminal offence to not wear high visibility clothing on public roads according to a Cootehill Councillor. Cllr Carmel Brady (FG) said she came close to hitting a woman on the Redhills to Cootehill road recently.

Advertisement