Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options
1929394959698»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Get Real wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on here. This isn't going away.

When the rest of us return to pubs, and have a night out with our mates-The type of people who climb onto moving taxis, and young females who kick bonnets of same, they don't think logically "okay guys, let's tone it down now"

They see town as a venue now in itself. For mayhem. They'll still come. A new precedent has been set, get onto Snapchat, bring your drink and go mental.

Basically a junior night with a bit of paddy's day every week. Numbers work in their favour.

The only way to sort it will be a couple of 18/19 year olds getting court time and even a custodial sentence.

You can’t have the little pricks jumping on taxis, intimidating people, making life dangerous for people going about their work or out socializing....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I believe they were out closing some West Cork beaches at the weekend over large crowds and bad parking so likely the same this weekend if weather good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

cadaliac wrote: »
    I feel especially sorry for people living in the city center and in places where there is constant unrest and calling the guards every night.
    It must be torture.
    It certainly has escalated in recent times and this is for obvious reasons. People gathering and mob mentality is with these scroats has to be stopped. Anyone who think the guards are using excessive force and "Crack handed manner" need their head examined.
    How else are the guards going to deal with this? They are too soft completely - the battons should be used. Round them up and fire them into a paddy wagon and detain them for 24 hours (this just isn't feasible currently - I know)
    Video evidence like the twitter link above should be used to prosecute.

I know only too well that this behavior is a constant in certain areas of all large cities but lawless Ireland shouldn't be allowed to spill onto the city center streets - whether it's reported on or you like that or not.

Are you even in Ireland ? Maybe Homs or Tripoli perhaps ? Cape Town ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I believe they were out closing some West Cork beaches at the weekend over large crowds and bad parking so likely the same this weekend if weather good
    "We want everyone to enjoy an outdoor Summer!"
    "No, not like that."

The Guards have been put in an impossible position by the almost complete inaction of local councils to put measures in place for access at popular spots.

And I have yet to see a single report of a crowded beach or any other outdoor location causing a spike in cases. Not one report, anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mountain

hmmm wrote: »
    "No, not like that."

The Guards have been put in an impossible position by the almost complete inaction of local councils to put measures in place for access at popular spots.

And I have yet to see a single report of a crowded beach or any other outdoor location causing a spike in cases. Not one report, anywhere in the world.

Gardai were turning people away from west cork beaches, because of lack of parking, heavy traffic and difficulty if emergency access was needed.
    Nothing to do with covid measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

mountain wrote: »
    Gardai were turning people away from west cork beaches, because of lack of parking, heavy traffic and difficulty if emergency access was needed.
    Nothing to do with covid measures.

Spot on. The crowds that go to some of the West Cork beaches can be insane. Not even councils fault its natural geography means there is capacity issues to how many can get in and out. Inchydoney been a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Spot on. The crowds that go to some of the West Cork beaches can be insane. Not even councils fault its natural geography means there is capacity issues to how many can get in and out. Inchydoney been a good example.
    There's plenty the councils could be doing with a bit of imagination.

Even in places like that, they could be diverting people by updating a webpage with traffic information. Or Twitter/Facebook.

They could be diverting traffic away, instead of forcing the Guards to tow cars.

They could be advertising alternative places for families to visit.

People don't deliberately go to these places to cause traffic chaos in the heat with kids screaming at them from the back. It's the places they have always gone to, but we're in a pandemic and they are filling up fast. Give them some options, and tell them what the status is before they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

hmmm wrote: »
    "No, not like that."

It's a shame that Gardai have been taken away from more important duties when the Councils could send staff down with signage and advisors to tell people the car parks are full or where alternate parking is, along with traffic cones to discourage illegal parking, and parking wardens to ticket illegal parking. If cars need to be towed only then call the Gards to come down... It's not like the councils don't have the staff or money to do all this...

However, sooner the better people are allowed to go on holidays then things can get back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Three arrested after glass bottles thrown at restaurant staff on South William Street

Restaurant worker taken to hospital for injuries sustained during incident[/SIZE]

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/three-arrested-after-glass-bottles-thrown-at-restaurant-staff-on-south-william-street-1.4597060

You can see where the worker takes the glass/glass bottle across the head and likely needed stitches

"Dirty old town" indeed

https://twitter.com/BluntMan____/status/1405774344752488458

From reading this though, it appears it was two of the workers that were arrested
    Three males were arrested on Thursday following an altercation on South William Street in which glass bottles were thrown at staff members of a premises.

A restaurant worker was injured and attended St James’s Hospital. The worker’s injuries are not life-threatening.

The incident happened at around 9.30pm on the south Dublin street, which has been the scene of much anti-social behaviour in recent weeks.
    It was reported that four people were causing a disturbance and threw glass and glass bottles at the restaurant workers, according to a Garda spokesman.

Gardaí attended the scene and arrested two men in their early 20s and one male teenager. They were taken to Pearse Street Garda Station where they remain in custody.

No doubt we'll have some say "we don't know what happened before the video started" to defend these scumbags

We know exactly what fcuking happened

It was scrotes being scrotes

I've said it before; the ferals are among the top 5, if not top 3, massive problems in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can they check pubs and restaurants for vaccine cert customers, spot checks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I think they can. Not sure if they are actively doing so. Or what their position is on non-compliance with face-masks in retail premises. For example, a hairdressers near me, NONE of the staff or customers wear masks - it's a 'trendy' young persons place, so perhaps they view it as a badge of honour. But right now, without being a curtain twitcher, with all the cases and potentially more restrictions, it's pissing me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They can't check pubs or restaurants for vaccine cert. They aren't compliance officers in the legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

They are incompetent and lazy. Their sole contributions to the covid pandemic were some checkpoints and dropping up some shopping to some elderly.

They really are in desperate need of reform.

Never been arrested. Like most here my only contact with the guards has been at checkpoints and sneaky speed traps. That seems to be all they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is it quite possible that you're not a criminal so you wouldn't normally have interactions with the Gardai? Genuine question, just because you don't see them do something means they're doing nothing? And the speed traps are directions, so the Gardai doing them don't have a choice, blame management for that one. As for checkpoints, well, they're necessary. The Gardai doing them don't want to be doing them, but again they're directions so they have no choice.

Tell ya what, I'll write to Drew and ask him to do a social media post every day showing the good work the Gardai do. I'll even ask him to make one for every division so everyone can see what they get up to when they're not trying to catch you speeding or not paying your motor tax/nct/insurance. Would that satisfy you?

Some people.....

Whether its management or directions?? as you say 🤔 bears no relevance really. They are all part of the same machine.

I'm sure the rank and file meant well when they joined up. But it's the systematic laziness within the force that needs to be addressed.

The whole force needs to be overhauled. The goverment are well aware of this. They even commissioned a Boston police commissioner to assess the gardai's role as a policing body. This was over 2 years and guess what she concluded? She recommemeded widespread sweeping reforms were needed.

Unsurprising, there is huge pushback among the top brass in the guards regarding the report and recommendations. They realize the game is up, their cushty numbers are in jeopardy. They're fighting tooth and nail the implementation of an investigative body. Of course they would rather keep investigating themselves - things are much easier that way.

The gardai siochana needs a complete remodel. It's too outdated, too underesourced and too poorly run. We need a modern competent police force going forward. Hopefully we get full implementation of the O Toole report and if that doesnt go far enough I would not be opposed to them being disbanded and made to reapply again.

Yep, that's all they do. Sure that's evident from our courtrooms and prisons that are basically empty all the time. They may as well close them down 🙄

Advertisement