Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nothing sets off quality alarm bells quite like a rushed, unnecessary follow-up to a Netflix true crime series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I assumed it was based on something but wasn't sure what until after I'd watched it. Its funny, the impression I get from what I've read since is that most people think the game is awful but love the show.

If I had one complaint it would be that the music drops aren't great, and there was a completely unnecessary inclusion of animated Imagine Dragons in an episode, but it's a tiny tiny complaint. Shame there's only 3 more 😔

The fact the first series dropped at exactly the right time in terms of covid lock downs too made me wonder how much of its success was down to the actual show itself .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, this has always been my presumption as well; that Tiger King hit just when the world had been told to stay permanently indoors, with normal TV and film shrivelling - so people latched onto this bizarre, outlandish tale; one that seemed in keeping with the surreal world we suddenly found ourselves in. Thought similar with the few movies that popped up during lockdown, like The Old Guard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lockdown certainly didn't hurt with Tiger King, but we saw the same thing with Making a Murderer. When something like that becomes a megahit, it's almost like Netflix immediately greenlights a sequel that by its very nature will be an unnecessary follow-up, destined to be forgotten near immediately.

TBH I think there's a much deeper problem with Netflix's garish, exploitative 'true crime' series anyway. But the redundant sequel to any such series is a particularly grim bit of server filler to quench the endless corporate thirst for 'content'.

• Advertisement

The only good thing to come out of this whole True Crime trend is Only Murders In The Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I found the first season an interesting show on an obscure topic, but let's be honest it wasn't the be all and end all as many made it out to be. A combination of people watching more tv as we went into lock down and everything being ether the best thing ever or the worst thing ever on social media.

Wondering why the subtitles are so bad on Netflix. Watching the latest Narcos and lines are taking too long to appear and then disappearing after a split second so you cant read it in time. Happening constantly.

Is this some sort of settings issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Paul Hollywood Eats Japan Season 1 - From Tokyo to Okinawa, Osaka and more, the British baking superstar eats his way across Japan on his first-ever visit to the culinary mecca

Black Christmas (2019) - When socially conscious sorority sisters stay on campus over winter break, they must elude a masked stalker determined to kill their holiday spirit

Blue Story (2019) - A gang war dooms the lifelong bond of south London friends in this acclaimed crime drama that features its writer-director as a rapping Greek chorus

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I don't know about settings issues, but I speak a couple of languages other than English and the subtitles do crack me up sometimes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Is the show being played at normal speed? I know I'm saying something obvious but it's happened me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Mindhunter great, but wtf in S2E7 with cordless screwdrivers assembling crosses in 1970's😐?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Upcoming: Sandra Bullock and Viola Davis in The Unforgivable. Bullock plays a woman released from prison after serving twenty years for killing a police officer, who tries to locate her little sister:

Due on NetDecember 10: good timing for Oscar consideration.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I started watching Midnight Mass, not sure if it’s been mentioned. It didn’t sound like a horror movie so I gave it a shot. The characters are well-developed, the island has a Stephen-King-esque beauty. Great start.

Now it looks like it IS going to turn into some demon-related shíte now. Urgh. problem is I’m hooked now. We’ll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

First episode of hellbound done. Not sure about it, dialog can be very childish and then there is the very distracting dubbing done. Same problem with squid game, dubbing is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Watch with subtitles, once you get used to them you’ll never go back to dubs

Generally speaking I'd agree but I read an interesting article during the week about translation for platforms like Netflix, for dubbing, subtitles, and closed captions, and apparently in a lot of cases none of them are great options. Obviously learning Korean fluently in a week isn't an option so I'd stick with subtitles, but it's interesting none the less.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/nov/14/where-have-all-the-translators-gone

I mentioned this when the trailer first appeared a few weeks ago but I thought this looked very like a Sally Wainwright series that aired on ITV maybe 10 years ago with Suranne Jones in it. I looked it up since then and it is actually based on that series. So if anyone remembers that then you'll already know how this ends.

21 Bridges - Armed with a bold plan to lock down Manhattan, a detective on a mission races against time to catch two cop killers -- and makes a shocking discovery.

Added

• Advertisement

Today half the subs were just not appearing at all. But unplugging the smart tv and resetting the wifi has fixed the issue finally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This is a solid film, it has real 90s thriller vibes if you're looking for something old school and it's also only about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Or about 4.3 minutes per bridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it's not spectacular by any stretch but an almost brazenly old school urban thriller (oh god 90s is old school now). Without checking it probably bombed but it's proof Hollywood hasn't completely forgotten how to make once-off concept thrillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Blonde moment, didn't know there was the original Korean on there. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loved tick tick boom! So enjoyable.

Less that a week ago I'd never even heard of League of Legends and now here I am delighted that there's a second season.

I still don't know anything about the source material but you clearly don't have to in order to enjoy this. It's got a really great central storyline with lots of interesting characters and side plots going on that came together really well by the last ep.

Fingers crossed they knew in advance they were getting a S2 and are already well into the animation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Great Train Robbery. (Luke Evans, Jim Broadbent)

The story is well known.of course. Two episode dramatisation. Well scripted and acted. Entertaining.

• Advertisement

Outlaws (2021) ( Spanish) - What started as a crush leads a bullied teenager to a new group of friends and a summer of burglaries, heists, love and more in 1978 Girona

Coach Trip Season 1 (Ch 4)- Contestants embark on long road trips across Europe for sightseeing and adventure - but they must avoid being voted off the tour bus

Celebs Go Dating (Ch 4) Season 6 - At the Celebrity Dating Agency, clients mingle with everyday singletons for a chance to find love with the non-famous

Added

Advertisement