Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see conservative GBnews presenter advert for the pitfalls of nepotistic hiring practices has leapt to the defence of Stanley Johnson...

She may have served far better by keeping her mouth shut TBF 🤦 Handsy? Well does someone want to explain to this genius the damage she's done any reliance the Handsy Patriarch may seek on a "I never" defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,367 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Handsy Patriarch world make an excellent username....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,864 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Personally I see myself more as an "organism of the traditional left" but if anyone here wants to identify as a creature that's their own business

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say I lost respect for Oakeshott had I any to begin with but this is the sort of thing unprincipled trash like her put out for money. She's just a cultural parasite. An excellent addition to GB News.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's been accused of sexual assault. Sexual assault is a real crime. Therefore, the police are investigating a real crime.

• Advertisement

It's amazing. Because he was "only" handsy with her then any other woman's experience must be the same and they should be forced to fob it off like she did

That's my point Penn.

He has been accused of sexual assault and at best, at it's very best wholly inappropriate behaviour. Yet oakeshott not only confirms he's a "Handsy" bloke, but seeks to excuse it as harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sorry, yes. My post was in reference to Oakeshott's tweet, not your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,537 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Rashford and the spectator article weren't about GBeebies either but fùck me he ran with that for long enough until he found out it was a hoax.

• Advertisement

Insofar as GB News is concerned, Isabel Oakeshott is perfectly entitled to her opinion - however outrageous some here may find it. I happen to think she's probably right but I simply don't know enough about the case and certainly won't comment beyond that.

Funny that.

Post the PM you sent me, you were happy to comment privately and hide behind a rule prohibiting posting of PMs.

I'd say the mask slipped but tbh everyone already knows what's behind it.

I was so sure the "entitled to her opinion" sht was gonna come out I really regret not calling it an hour ago.

So incredibly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,557 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He still hasn't admitted it was crap he was smearing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closing this thread while I review some of what's been going on behind the scenes

@eskimohunt, please forward to me any PMs you have sent others in connection with this discussion

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm re-opening the thread. A word of warning. If you wish to discuss topics stick to doing so in relevant threads. If there is not a relevant thread start one in a relevant forum. Deciding to take your discussion to PM with those who may have very different views is akin to trolling. I'm not taking any further action at this stage, but any repeats and posters can expect rapidly escalating sanctions

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For GB News a 'view' is 22 seconds on average.

However, for BBC News for example, that average is about 1 minute and 25 seconds.

So the average BBC News viewer spends 5 times longer watching than their GB News equivalent.

But we don't know the YouTube statistics, and they matter.

The BARB statistics are clear; but we cannot determine the number of actual long-term viewers. Clearly, not everyone is watching for 22 seconds, then turning over. Same with BBC News - not everyone is watching for 1 minute and 25 seconds.

In October, they had 1.8 million TV views, but 18 million YouTube views in the same month. Frangopoulos confirmed my suspicion that GB News would pivot to the digital sphere to a greater extent (in the Telegraph article of several weeks ago).

If this is true, as I believe it probably is, then it's not BARB figures and TV channel views that should consume our entire focus and attention, but rather to consider those views as an appendage to the digital sphere views / engagement - where GB News is attempting to grow to a far greater extent.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Oh good God we have been over these exact same figures so many times now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Youtube stats are irrelevant. This is a new channel and they barely have any viewers.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Do we really have to keep going around in these circles?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For YouTube a 'View' is anything over 11s for a 30s video and anything over 30s for longer videos.

So their 18 million views could be made up of anything and makes them next to no money.

Of course Frangopolous was going to big up the Digital figure. It's all they've got, the TV numbers are catastrophic..

But the figures aren't really that great.

18 million views ,while sounding like a big number really really isn't in the context of generating meaningful online revenue.

Typically you earn between $3 and $5 per 1000 views on YouTube from Ad revenue

GB News are going to be at the lower end of that scale, they just are.

So, they are maybe earning $50k a month at most. Again . sounds like a big number, but it really really isn't.

They have more than a dozen "on screen" staff who are certainly earning more than 50k a month between them, not to mention all the various production staff and admins etc.

The absolute fact is that they are haemorrhaging money at a serious clip.

Declining TV viewing numbers and anemic Social growth(and it is anemic in context) isn't going to cut it.

They'd need 10 to 15x the Social traffic to even start covering their costs, let alone to begin dreaming of profitability.

To a large extent, I agree. But, we simply cannot assume that we can predict their revenue.

You've used SocialBlade quite a few times, and they estimate that the annual revenue can be as high as 667,000 euros.

But GB News isn't just going to stop. They are clearly going to attempt to grow their YouTube - and other social media presence and revenue streams - in the coming months / years.

Quick edit: they've received 3-4,000 new YouTube subscribers in the past 24-48 hours alone.

667k per annum is ~55k/ month, so my point still stands.

They are losing huge amounts of money each and every month .

Even at 10x that level they still wouldn't be breaking even.

I hope that financial runway that Frangopolous spoke about is very very long, they'll need every last inch of it.

There's too much ambiguity around figures, yet they are spoken of with certainty.

We simply don't know the financial runway they have; the staff costings; the operational costs; the revenue streams and current and projected income. We are speaking about a business with no inside knowledge of what's actually happening on the ground.

Would an experienced presenter in Eamonn Holmes join the channel unless he was briefed about what was actually going on? He seems satisfied.

All I'm saying is that these declarations that GB News is dying is based on no inside knowledge.

It's all conjecture and based on no evidence whatsoever.

The statistics we cite could be right, yet our conclusions completely wrong. But Frangopoulos seems confident in the direction of the channel and, given his past success, I see no reason to doubt him.

Eamon Holmes is a peddler of conspiracy theories. His judgement is questionable, to put it politely. Nobody is watching. Pretending that they are does nothing to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,537 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"There's too much ambiguity around figures, yet they are spoken of with certainty."

Says the guy who's go to post is "But thE UtubEZ FiGureZzzzz"

That's what social blade says, 18 million views in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,555 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It seems a strange move for Holmes. Associating himself with a right wing, 'anti woke' channel does not seem a good move at all for a mainstream light entertainment presenter/ host.....possibly career ending.

Already, Andrew Neil is furiously backtracking and trying to rehabilitate himself (mainly by launching attacks on the channel).

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm not the biggest fan of Holmes myself.

I noticed several years ago that Holmes interviewed David Icke, welcoming him into the studio as "...the Great Man". Great man he ain't.

So, I'm no fan of Holmes on that front, as I despise conspiracy theories (and associated grifters, like Icke). That said, Holmes does have an abundance of experience and the kind of 'name recognition' that GB News can capitalise on.

If Holmes leaves his conspiracy nut-job nonsense at home, good. If not, I'll be lamenting his osmosis into GB News.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement