Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

From what I remember there were complications on his residency qualification, as he got stuck visiting South Africa during a lockdown. Still fair play to him, coming here, playing for Rainey OB, getting picked up professionally and selected for an international squad. Must have been some Welsh selectors at Ulster games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Will they cap him just to tie him to them?

Where does he sit in the Ireland pecking order? I'd be surprised if he really is the 4th best hooker (assume they have 3 in their squad) available to Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Brad Roberts on the bench for Wales.

What a story for him.

Fair dues

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

headed to cardiff next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Got his cap, hope it works out for him and Wales haven’t tided him down for the sake of it.

Bears the question now, do we persist with his progression and where is Stewart?

• Advertisement

His first throw took serious cojones as well.

I'd still be using Roberts now. He's an international hooker after all, he will have learnt things in the Welsh camp that he can share with the rest of the squad which will be no bad thing. So for the next few months keep him playing. Let Stewart earn his corn at AIL level (he's missed a lot of rugby), and then perhaps during the 6Ns if Roberts is with Wales Ulster can start the transition process.

It's funny, it's only now I look at the name 'Bradley Roberts' and I think to myself "of course he's Welsh, how did I not see that before!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭ljsulster

Watched highlights of the hitch game at the weekend. The injury doesn’t seem to have affected Stewart much

Encouraging news.

I think I read that Ulster A play Leinster A this weekend. Hopefully he gets a run. He was arguably the most exciting young hooker I can remember seeing for Ireland at U20 level, and that was as an 18 year old. But you always worry when a young player gets a bad injury, so hopefully he has recovered fully.

Aye he’s on bench this weekend! Few players to keep an eye on

• Advertisement

Ulster ‘A’ team to play Leinster ’A’, Interprovincial game at Banbridge RFC, Friday 12 November, 3pm:

(15-9) James Humphreys, Rob Lyttle, Ben Moxham, Angus Curtis, Aaron Sexton, Ian Madigan, Lewis Finlay;

(1-8) Callum Reid, John Andrew (Capt.), Gareth Milasinovich, David O’Connor, Harry Sheridan, Greg Jones, Reuben Crothers(u20), Marcus Rea.

Replacements: Tom Stewart (Capt.), Scott Wilson(u19), Ross Kane, Adam McNamee(u20), James McNabney(u19), Conor McKee, Greg Hutley, Michael Orr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Wow Ulster are really treating this as an A game.

I assumed all the provinces were gonna put out as many front liners as possible which we have seen with Connacht.

Might be seeing a more callow Leinster team than we thought based on this

There is some experience in there. Rob Lyttle, Ian Madigan and John Andrew are probably the most notable ones. But Callum Reid, Ben Moxham, Angus Curtis, David O'Connor, Ross Kane, Marcus Rea and Greg Jones have good URC experience.

Be interested to hear James McNabney fares. He seems to be one to watch...and obviously Tom Stewart and Aaron Sexton as well amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Don't know if I'll get going to it but I'll be interested to hear how Stewart and Sexton get on in particular. Sexton has had a few injuries i think so hasn't had a chance to put his hand up over the likes of lyttle, and now there's the likes of Moxham and Postlewaite coming through. Stewart going well would be great timing given that roberts will be off to wales.

There's quite a few u20 lads kept back that i would've loved to see in this game, but maybe some were kept back for international duty? Or maybe the coaches just want to keep a few fringe squad players active during the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Agreed - like the look of that A team. Anyone going along? Wouldn't mind hearing any thoughts or impressions afterwards.

12-8 to leinster. We played ok, kept ahold of the ball a lot and just hammered away at them mostly. They looked more dangerous with it and were solid defensively but it was an even game.

Curtis, Lyttle and Reid the standouts for us probably. Stewart looked sharp when he came on.

Post edited by Locke_Lamora on

Very decent result given the two teams

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

When does wossisname arrive?.......Vermeulen

Week after next, has the Barbarians match next week

Quiet enough day at the office for Robert Baloucoune. He didn't really do anything noticeably wrong either and had good involvements in the build up to Doris's try. The ball just didn't really fall his way. With a bit more confidence and experience he will no doubt go roaming for the ball a bit more like Lowe does and Stockdale too when he plays.

O'Toole really impressed me though. Think there was maybe only one scrum when he was on, and it was Argentina ball, but he looked solid. But around the park he was impressive. He has lovely hands for a prop.

Timoney showed up well too. Think ge gave away a penalty for a side entry maybe, but he had one or two solid carries. Good experience for him.

Hopefully all the Ulster lads will have benefitted from the experience of being in Ireland camp, maybe O'Toole in particular can really kick on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Right Bilston. Great experience and they did well. All 3 are fantastic athletes. They will be in the frame.

Timoney's involvement might depend on how Connors comes back from his injury and how much further leavy can return to his old self after his. Penny also suits Ireland's quick tempo, but I thought Timoney played well enough.

O'Toole's passing really impressed me. He's not the best carrier in a tight game but he hits good lines and he's mobile. Scrum was always a work-on for him

Gutted Baloucoune didn't get more of the ball and he never really got challenged under the high ball. But it was his first cap against a tier 1 nation so it'll have calmed the nerves. In terms of world cup involvement he's at a disadvantage in that his competition mostly cover 2 positions - conway, hansen, daly, earls etc. I reckon the starting spot on the right wing is up for grabs, conway has it now but he's never been the most consistent and we're still a while away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

anyone on here think that Ulster ticket prices have gotten a bit high?

I was pricing tickets for the Northampton game - West Terrace £30 each - Memorial End - £28 each (both areas are standing). Grand Stand seats are £50!

Ticketmaster add an extra £2.75 per ticket service charge

Henderson is out for a number of weeks, likely to miss Northampton/Clermont

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Vermeulen could feature versus the Ospreys, Cooney back for Leinster. Jack McGrath back in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Vermeulen on the Barbarians bench, hope he doesn't pick up an injury, looking forward to seeing his impact on the Ulster pack.

Would expect he needs some rest sadly! We nearly have a pack for a 6/2 split!

Surely Duane will need a week off?

I'm amazed that he not only starts every game for SA, but he seems to play 80 mins everytime.

I can't wait to see him play for Ulster. He could do unnatural things in the URC!

• Advertisement

Going fully locked and loaded, seemingly. Nice to see Marcus Rea and Curtis on the bench. Tom Stewart as well.

Ulster team to play Leinster Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 6, Saturday 27 November at the RDS Arena, 8pm kick-off, live on RTÉ and Premier Sports:

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Craig Gilroy, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Sam Carter, Greg Jones, Nick Timoney, David McCann.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Mick Kearney, Marcus Rea, Nathan Doak, Angus Curtis, Rob Lyttle.

Advertisement