Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mammy dropping kids to school in the car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Did you "REALLY" read Whisky_galores post that you quoted about purchasing proper clothing for damp and cold conditions that are very affordable & accessible these days?

Strange breed these parents, be them women or men that manage to keep their kids warm and dry in inclement weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Didn't see a single one of those kids wearing a helmet either.

Yes I understand that coming off a bike is dangerous and you might crack you head....but you also might get all tangled up in the bike and slssh open you fcuking femural artery and bleed to death in seconds.

In Austria and Switzerland 7 year olds can go gunning down a hill on a sled and lamp into a snow drift and emerge all fcuked up and wanting to to it again.....but in Ireland it's too dangerous to walk to school in the drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

If u living in west of Ireland along coastline it rains almost every day … entirely different to the East

pt

I don't know who you're quoting, but as a child I walked to the local primary school (we didnt have a car, but it wasn't far). But come secondary school, I had to get two buses and travel across Dublin city on my own as a 12 year old. I freely admit I wouldn't let a child do it now!

I dropped my own daughter at school as I was on my way to work. During her primary years, she was collected by her grandmother after school and they walked to her house (or got the bus if it was raining). In her secondary years, she walked home, or if I was home before her or the weather was bad, I picked her up. There were no changing rooms or lockers for storing wet gear in her school, even if she wanted to cycle (which she didn't).

But none of that really matters. Families make their commuting arrangements to and from school and work to suit them best, not anyone else, and others should mind their own business.

(and I repeat - those bags look small and half empty. The weather also looks lovely - no rain gear on any of them. It was obviously a great day to make a promotional video.).

I lived in Galway for a year...right there on Dock Road. It didn't rain everyday but I did enjoy the storms when they came in. Used to love watching the gas tanker come in. I'd then have a pint down in the corner pub. Worked out in Parkmore for the year and not a bother on the kids waiting for the bus on Eyre Sq when it was lashing. Sh!t, I used to wish I was younger when I went down to Monroe's for a pint and see all the kids thrashing around in the Corrib in their kayaks..almost getting washed out to sea past Spanish Arch.

Thought to myself, these little lads are hardy and much braver than the little trogs who jump off the top of Boland's factory into the water in Dublin.

Can't cycle a bike in the rain though....or walk a mile or go out after dark in case you turn into a pumpkin.

• Advertisement

That's fine, mate...absolutely fine. I'm not arguing with you in the slightest. My argument is with those who think that a child, much like your own, can't handle the weight of a schoolbag or a bit of wind and rain.. I'm well sure that your daughter and anyone's would be able to walk a mile in the rain with a raincoat on in the morning or afternoon...probably enjoy it too...evern start to run to get home quicker.

And yeah, the weather looks lovely. I've lived between Dublin and Holland for nigh on 20 years. Those kids on their bikes do the same thing when its pissing rain. You got a video of them on a Spring Day. But they don't all just park up their bikes in January and have Daddy drive them when the weather is inclement.

The argument here is that it's too cold or too far to cycle. Someone even said that a mile is too far for someone to cycle. Another claimed that it was pitch dark in December at 16:00. Jesus Christ if that was the case then we'd have to get helicopters to get the pre-Leaving Cert 17 year olds home since secondary school lets out at that time.

Wonder what the Army would think of that...here's your rifle, you're 17....now go and stand there for a few hours. "But sir, it'll be dark soon and my mother says I'm not allowed out after 16:00"

Or the boy scouts....off for the weekend in Larchill at the tender age of 11...."quick..get into the tent and into your sleeping bags in case you melt...it's almost 4 o'clock."

Someone said a mile is too far for a small child to cycle. Not that its too far for all kids.

Now that I think of it, I've never actually seen bike racks in primary schools. Not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen them.

Kids should not be carrying schoolbags that weigh more than 10% of their own body weight. My daughter's schoolbag regularly weighed more than double that, and that was a big concern to me. (Yes, I did weigh it, when trying to get the school to install lockers or at least agree to the kids leaving some books in school).

Anyway, she finished school a few years ago now, and my campaign over the school books was unsuccessful, but if I ever have grandkids, I'll be offering to drive them to school or pick them up anytime its needed! (in my 1 litre micra, not an SUV).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Someone said a mile is too far for a small child to cycle. Not that its too far for all kids.

Utter nonsense. Kids can and do easily cycle that distance

Now that I think of it, I've never actually seen bike racks in primary schools. Not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen them.

Well they are in many schools!

I'll be offering to drive them to school or pick them up anytime its needed! (in my 1 litre micra, not an SUV).

They type of car doesn't change the fact that you are part of a problem and not part of the solution.

• Advertisement

I don't see it as a problem. If you do, well, I guess that's your problem. 🤷 Sorry I can't solve that for you.

I stand by my earlier comment, its up to individual families how they organise getting their kids to and from school, working around their own lives and commitments, and others should just mind their own business.

Happy Sunday :)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

By increasing traffic volumes in bringing kids to school by car, people are contributing to congestion and the perception that there are too many cars for the kids to cycle safely.

Plus there is a global climate crisis, if you hadn't heard!

I have. But it doesn't change my mind.

You're conveniently dismissing all the other explanations posters have given why they drive their kids to school. Road safety is a major concern but its not the only reason.

Personally, I can forgive anyone for not sending their junior infants out on a winter morning to cycle to school by themselves - whatever the distance. 🙄

A mile is not too much for a small child to either walk or cycle. Why do I say this? Because me and my friends frequently cucled a mile at the age of 6, and we don't possess any special powers. Cycling a mile is nothing to a kid. Seems the goalposts are constantly shifting in this discussion.. A mile is too far to cycle...then it's too far for a "small child" to cycle. Funny how it's not too far for a small child to walk. As I said before, I went to school 1 mile from my house. I walked with my mother the first few months and then unaccomppanied. So did dozens of other kids from the estate. Some cycled with their mothers. A mile is NOT too far for a 5 year old to cycle (that's if they CAN cycle at that age). Another poster bemoaned a 13 year-old having to walk home in the p1ssing rain....a fcuking 13 year old??? FFS. Also claimed it was dark at 4pm in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fairness there's hyperbole on both sides in this thread.

You could argue there's no such thing as too cold and wet just inappropriate clothing.

Certainly there are valid reasons to drive. But we do far much of it then is necessary. But mostly down to infrastructure and society. Both make it more difficult to cycle then it should be.

I did read it and I got it wrong, so my apologies to J R and to Whiskey.

I don't really have an opinion on the distance other than I think that's up to each parent to judge about their own child. I wasn't the poster who said it.

I do remember walking to primary school in the winter as a small child. 40 years later, I remember it well enough to know it was bloody miserable and I wished we had a car.

It's a fair bit of effort to get geared up for cycling. It's not as simply as just cycling. It doesn't suit everyone's situation. That's fair enough. But equally it's not climbing a mountain either.

The first part doesn't make sense - they said a mile isn't too far for all kids. Your needlessly hostile response of "Utter nonsense. Kids can and do easily cycle that distance" ignores that part of what they said, and also ignores that they said it is too far for *small* kids to cycle, which of course it is. Would you let a five-year-old cycle for a mile by themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So it's five year olds cycling a mile by themselves now? Want to move a few more goalposts? Let's have them on unicycles in the mist with rabid dogs on the loose.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/IkVvXVDs5aI

Obviously we as a society are a long way from this. Perhaps we never want to go there.

But that's not really the point. We are a car dependant society and are very unwilling to change. We want to be dependent on cars.

But it causes huge issues around schools.

My kids schools all have, or had bike racks. Secondaries have had some theft issues so racks were moved into less accessable locations.

What is it with people not reading things.

Loueze said a mile is not too much for all children, but it is too much for *small* children. Seth Brundle didn't read that properly and retorted that of course kids can cycle a mile. But again, Loueze was only referring to small/very young children, not all children. This was the point I was making to Seth Brundle. And a five-year-old is an example of a small child, as per what Loueze was talking about.

Nobody is moving any goalposts. This thread is about primary school children - aged four to 12, so of course age comes into whether they would walk/cycle to school or not.

It wasn't even me that said it!!! I was clarifying what someone else said because Burgerface repeated it as "every" child. 😏

It causes huge issues generally, it's terrible for our health that we're so dependent on our cars, it's terrible for the environment too.

But as a society we'd rather be unhealthy in our cars than healthy outside of them, for whatever reason.

The only thing worse than mams dropping the kids to school is people eating grapes (without paying for them) while walking around doing their shop or man's still doing their little ickle 28/however year old 'babies washing.

Sickening.

This discussion has descended into FARCE.

Let us step back. The argument was that cars are blocking up the road in order to drop off kids to school. And indeed they are.

I have no problem with a child being taken to school in his or her mothers/father's private vehicle. Many children live in an area where it is not only too far to walk or cycle but the roads are dangerous.

Nobody has disputed that.

My argument is with those who state that it is almost impossible for a 6 year old to cycle a poxy mile...because it's "just too much". My argument continues within the realm that WALKING a mile is too much. We'll continue....a girl can't ride a bike in a skirt because it's too cold (FFS).

Now it's "child abuse" to have a kid walk home from school in the rain. I can see it now....Ronan is flirting around with Aoife under a tree in the drizzle (they're both 14) and Mummy comes racing out "It's raining" get in...it's ten past FOUR. It'l be dark soon"

A 6 year old CAN walk a mile

A 6 year old CAN cycle a mile

A 6 year old CAN read and write

A 6 year old CAN tie his shoe-laces

A 6 year old CAN pull his socks up, pull up his hood if it's rainng and get home.

Just because I and all my friends could do such pathetically simple things doesn't mean that we were tough....as monkeybutter would suggest. Just because I could cycle a bike or swim when I was six means that I walked to school in the snow uphill both ways and dodged IRA snipers or sabre-toothed tigers or zombies.

To all those who think a mile is just too much for a kid....I would like you to find a route of 1760 yards and then put your kid on a bicycle and come back with photos of the kid just falling and dying before the mile mark. Extra points for the little 4 year old sister running behind the bike screaming "take ME"

Further points for the boy coming back on the bike with the little sister on the backer.

Next challenge would be to see if that same kid (nicely wrapped up in the rain ) can make it home without dying.

Things are different now. I was babysitting when I was 12.. now 12 year olds need a babysitter and that's fair enough...

And even then again...in my experience some 30/40/50 year olds also need a babysitter 🙄

A six-year-old cannot cycle or walk to school on their own.

• Advertisement

I know two 8 year olds who went on the mitch for two weeks...years ago lol they are still little messer's to this day 😁 I was getting a bus on my own from 9 but no way 6.

Out of conversation now.

Advertisement