Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria hits panic button.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

You don't think anything else is relevant because you, like many others have covid blinkers on. You're so focused on the virus you think it exists in a vacuum.

The reality is, as far as pandemics go, Covid is is hands down the one I'd pick if I had a gun to my head. The mortality rate is miniscule, it really only kills people who are old or unhealthy, children are basically immune, a large number of people who test positive don't even know they have it without a test.

Your risk tolerance is completely different to mine, to me the risk of Covid is non existent. There's a gene therapy available which is a big help to the vulnerable, and they should take it. But for people who arent obsessed about the virus, the risk assessment includes the bigger picture of all the risks of life and not just the risk of the virus, and in the big scheme of things the virus is way down near the bottom of that list.

You apply a logic to Covid that you don't apply to anything else because the constant media onslaught has made you hysterical.

Assuming you're relatively young an healthy, you're far more likley to die or be injured in a fall or accident. By your own logic, not wearing a helmet all day raises your personal risk much more than being unvaccinated, and there's no valid argument for not wearing a helmet, since it greatly reduces your personal risk from many of the most common causes of death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Construction in Austria during winter months is very limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

"disproportionate numbers of unvaccinated covid patients"

I've never seen anyone get so much mileage out of one phrase. How about "A disproportionate number of ICU patients are vaccinated" - given that this is exactly what the vaccine is supposed to prevent?

Why aren't the statistics on the unvaccinated in giant neon lights in the news every evening? If the unvaccinated are causing all the problems then they should be sticking the statistics in our face loud and clear. But they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

A kick in the butt and its effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We were discussing the risk of Covid vs the risk from the vaccines. Between those two, and those two only, the risk from Covid is higher.

You believe the earth is not round and that the space program is fake, I'm not discussing current affairs or politics off the conspiracy forum with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

@faceman 'Those people wouldn’t have died when they did had it not been for covid.'

Many would have. Deaths from respiratory illnesses are the commonest cause of death among the elderly in the world.

How can anyone believe that every covid death is premature? There's no reason to think that either statistically (age of death often 83 years old) or just from common sense.

I have more respect for someone who believes the earth is flat than for someone who spends a disproportionate amount of their life posting in the conspiracy theories forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WOW the amount of jumped up authoritarians on this thread is a sight to behold.

It's a funny conundrum they find themselves faced with, trying to convince the unvaccinated to get the jab because "the vaccines work" yet trying to convince the vaccinated to get a booster because the vaccines don't really work.

There are alot of similar characteristics with hardliner religious fundamentalists. "believe in the science" and "listen to the experts". The new Church and Priests of our brave new "free" world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jesus man. It's not exactly rocket science to figure it out. Which bit is causing you the most difficulty?

1) Vaccines give very good protection against the virus

2) Boosters are needed to top up efficacy which wanes over time

It's only really two points. Let me give you a similar brainbuster to see if it makes it any easier

1) Petrol is used to power your car. You should fill up the tank with fuel.

2) You will need to top up the petrol tank after a while

Here's the thing - the vaccine protects YOU. Whether Damo down the road has got his vaccination or not does not affect YOU. How about you keep your authoritarian nose out of other people's private health information and stop curtain twitching like some old Biddy fresh home from morning Mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yes it does affect me.

Firstly Damo down the road can catch it and will spread it to more people that he would if he was vaccinated.

Secondly, Damo down the road will statistically take up more resources when he catches it.

Thirdly, Damo and his unvaccinated buddies might waste so many resources that systems cannot cope and more lockdowns are imposed.

It's mad that almost 2 years into this, some of us are still having to explain very simple ideas to others.

You might well be in favour of lockdowns. Well actually, if you support people who won't get vaccinated, you are de facto in favour of lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Current vaccines work. You don't get the flu jab from a decade ago and think you are good to go (unless you don't understand medicine, viruses or vaccines - which, let's face it, is a lot of people).

Not surprised to see the 'atheism is a religion' type argument crop up here. There's an uncomfortable overlap between the alt-right (far right?) and vaccine scepticism.

People keep up with this idiotic idea that other people being unvaccinated does not risk your health. This is total bullshit. Two extreme cases:

1. Everyone, bar none, is vaccinated. Likelihood: virus dies out completely.
    2. Nobody is vaccinated. Likelihood: everyone gets the virus.

The reality is somewhere between those two extremes. And which extreme you are closer to depends on one thing: how many people are vaccinated. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know people hate links to long podcasts etc but the first 13 mins of this one directly addresses the topic of this thread including an interview with the Austrian chancellor.

[Newshour] Austria plans mandatory Covid vaccine

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/131563485

• Advertisement

If you think it does affect you then you've no confidence in the vaccine you've taken. Why? I've every confidence in the one I took.

First Point - Wrong. Vaccinated/Unvaccinated can catch and spread Covid in equal measure. All the vaccines do is make it less likely that one requires medical intervention. Are you seriously of the opinion that the vast majority of cases since September (when the vaccination pretty much completed) are unvaccinated adults?

Second Point - If that is the case, then close the hospitals full stop. No resources wasted then. The point in having hospitals is to treat people who are unwell. If the hospitals cannot cope even after all the billions they are given then it's the hospitals that are setup wrong. Damo pays taxes, so he's equally entitled to treatment as the next person. If you want to advocate for a tiered hospital system like you advocate for a tiered society, then let's have a tiered tax system that reflects this - fair?

Third Point - 94% of Damos buddies are fully vaccinated, yet here we are with a hospital system on the verge of collapse and the HSE closing 4 ICU units in south Meath.

As for lockdowns, no not in favour of lockdowns now that we've pretty much fully vaccinated the adult population. If the hospitals get over run and collapse, fcuk them, they deserve it after the years of pissing away our hard earned taxes - just feel sorry for the frontline staff though who do try hard in most instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Just on your first point, when you exclude kids under 12 (as they haven't been offered a vaccine) 40% of the cases come for unvaccinated people. That's 40% from.... what ever that % is now, 7%? Meaning the vaccinated are either not catching it at the same rate as the unvaccinated or they are not spreading it as much as unvaccinated.

Before Covid, did you get the annual flu vaccine every year?

Why was this never mandated given we've had an A+E crisis more or less every winter for the last 20+ years?

Thats better than I thought - soon the last of those unvaccinated 7% will have caught covid anyways and either gained natural immunity from it or popped their clogs.

I guess the reason more vaccinated people are not showing up as cases is down to them not even realising they're covid positive and thus not getting tested...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That first point is complete nonsense. Vaccines and boosters reduce transmission and symptoms. That is accepted and I've no idea why people continue with such claims

• Advertisement

Can ya not watermark posts with a 'Misleading' text with a link to refute the lies?

Like a little factcheck!

That's an old breakdown in cases among vaccinated and unvaccinated.

Half right (symptoms) and half wrong (transmission), and I've had this out with you before. You obviously see no correlation in the current level of cases and the fact that 94% of all adults are vaccinated. It's literally impossible for these levels of cases at this level of vaccination if vaccines were reducing transmission.

The fact that vaccines reduce symptoms by it's nature will fool people into thinking they don't have the virus. Would you go get tested for a virus you don't think you have? Think about it.

Why are you zoning in on the unvaccinated? 4 in 10 cases among the vaccinated is the more shocking statistic here. And once we see the immunity wain amongst all the 30-60 year olds - the unvaccinated figures will be a drop in the ocean.

The media frenzy on the unvaccinated will be long gone in a few weeks when we see that they are not the problem

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You really cannot accept it reduces transmission despite all the evidence?

You really believe that nonsense put out by the anti vaxxers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

The extent to which they reduce transmission is underwhelming to people, when they see locations with high vaccination such as Waterford (or Ireland itself) teeming with infection.

Without sterilising immunity vaccinated people just will spread it.

To seize on the small sub-group of unvaccinated people and try to blame them for everything is gross and dishonourable.

They've been in some form of lockdown or quasi-lockdown for 14 months. The last time a now-unvaccinated person could legally enter a pub or restaurant in Ireland was at the beginning of September 2020.

I would love to know who would be scapegoated next if we did have 100% vaccination. We cycle through scapegoats.

What antivaxxers? I'm using the figures posted above along with my own logic.

Time will tell as to who is right. The scramble for booster programs should be a telling sign

Just correcting the OP who stated that vaccines do not reduce transmission at all. To do that, a comparison between incidence rate in vaccinated vs unvaccinated is needed.

4 in 10 cases among the vaccinated is shocking.... why? If we had 100% vaccine coverage, 10 in 10 cases would be among the vaccinated.

But 0 in 10 cases would be among the unvaccinated, so you would see that as vaccines being absolutely useless?

That's why you need to compare the incidence to a control group.

In order to get a true picture, you would need to mandatory test everyone in the country on a given day.

You are still missing the point that the vast majority of vaccinated people with Covid are not coming forward for testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You realise you've essentially just said ”f*ck them, whoever can't get treated in the hospitals deserves to die". You can stew on that for a bit and see if you can put it some other way (or deflect, always deflect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yeah the amount of flu anti vaxxers is insane.

Genocide of the elderly etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Do you really think people who’ve already refused to get the vaccination against all logic and reason would somehow then be more willing than vaccinated people to get themselves tested if suffering from common symptoms? That’s really clutching at straws to find some excuse for the far greater percentage of cases among unvaccinated.

You're putting words in my mouth there astrofool. I said f*ck the hospitals and especially I say it to the incompetents running them. I have never said that people "deserve to die".

If the hospitals are overrun, lots of people will die, you seem to want that to happen, it is utterly bizarre behavior.

I believe those stats I posted where at a time when close contacts (despite being fully vaccinated) were still being tested.

You could also argue that with such a high R rate with Delta, it should be spreading rapidly though the unvaccinated people, meaning cases would be growing exponentially among unvaccinated people. But that's not happening as the number of unvaccinated in hospital and in ICU seems to be growing at the same rate as the vaccinated. (that's the vaccine protecting the unvacinated by reducing the spread)

Are you a teenager? Coming out with a response like that?

If unvaccinated are not getting tested, then where is the 40% of all positives coming from unvaccinated coming out of then? Geez the levels of critical thinking in this thread is through the floor. You will say anything for the "gotcha" moment literally without thought.

Didn't Reid say the other day that while they're picking up ~4000 cases a day in testing they feel there is another ~10,000 cases out there. My hunch is that is where the covid but vaccinated is hiding out from the figures.

It's been well accepted that the higher the positivity rate, the higher cases you miss (not just asymptomatic ones)

This was true even before vaccines came onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is one glaring statistic. About 7% of the population is unvaccinated. These are the people when they get infected are taking up over 60% of hospital beds and ICU beds compared to the 90+% of vaccinted people taking up abot 35% . So stop peddling misinformation.

When you consider that about 10% of people who are vaccinated due to deficenies in there immune system will not have full immunity from the vaccine you really see the issues with lies peddled by anti vaxers or my body my choice types. Other countries that have not got our vaccination levels are now having to make decisions about compulsory vaccination. If you do not get vaccinated why should society tolerate people taking up massive amounts of health resources. We are taxing tabbaco products because of the health issues it creates. Maybe we should tax those that are not willing to get vaccinated at a higher rates. Maybe we should remove some of there tax credits.

If you crash a car and are in the wrong it effects your car insurance. If you are unwilling to get vaccinated and are a risk to the health service you should have to pay for that risk profile.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The vaccine protects others. If you get the vaccine you're less likely to transmit the virus to other people. Also, you're less likely to take up a hospital bed or ICU bed if you do get it. It's a no-brainer.

You can't transmit the virus unless you catch it. Is your claim that the vaccine makes no difference in how likely you are to catch COVID? Because we are back into flat earth territory if so.

Why focus on

• the myriad of risk factors (age, obesity, underlying respiratory illness)
    • one of the worst bed/ICU bed per population in the developed world
    • waining vaccine immunity
    • the opening of bars/resturants/nightclubs
    • the fact that we are entering the flu season

when we could focus on the anti-vaxxers!

The image looks to be cropped, so maybe the footnote explains it.

But the dashed line is the index case? In this case unvaccinated?

The red and blue lines are the chances of a vaccinated person catching it from the unvaccinated index case?

So Pfizer over time, the chances of catching it from an unvaccinated person is 10% less than if they were unvaccinated?

So reducing Delta R number by 10% is a big deal.

That's the full image. vaccinated to vaccinated transmission is reduced. based on A, as a vaccinated person, you're less likely to catch it and with a vaccinated contact it's even more likely for them to catch it. unvaccinated to unvaccinated spread would be linear and vaccinated to vaccinated spread would be a decaying curve (if you had the reproductive rate at 1)?

• Advertisement

Protection against onward transmission waned within 3 months post second vaccination. For Alpha this still left good levels of protection against transmission, but for Delta this eroded much of the protection against onward transmission, particularly for ChAdOx1, which by 3 months post second vaccine had no evidence of difference in transmission compared to that seen in unvaccinated individuals.

This study has several limitations. We considered only contacts who underwent PCR testing, to minimise bias introduced by differences in testing behaviour that may occur for multiple reasons including vaccination of contacts. This means we cannot estimate secondary attack rates by case and contact vaccination status, and that absolute protective effects of vaccination on transmission may be under-estimated as vaccine-protected uninfected contacts may not have sought testing. Our approach is also not likely to eliminate bias, particularly if test-seeking behaviour is related to perceived vaccine efficacy, given non-specificity of many symptoms

From: The impact of SARS-CoV-2 vaccination on Alpha & Delta variant transmission | medRxiv

Emphasis mine.

This means we cannot estimate secondary attack rates by case and contact vaccination status, and that absolute protective effects of vaccination on transmission may be under-estimated as vaccine-protected uninfected contacts may not have sought testing. 

Any reason you ignored that? and the fact we mainly used Pfizer.

Thanks for sharing actual data, that is actually helpful. Can you share the source?

Edit: Oh I see you cut out some of the data for some reason. Disappointing. I thought we were having an honest discussion there for a minute.

Danno emerges every few weeks to throw sh*t around then disappears. This time it appears that we should "f*ck the hospitals" and that the vaccines don't reduce transmission at all (R rate of 1.1 in Ireland says "Hi!") along with posting selective information and random name calling.

It'll all happen again around the first week of December based on the current schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So what that is saying is that from 8 weeks after the seconds does with AZ you are as likely to catch it as somebody who isn't vaccinated. OK we know for the hospitals that vaccinated people aren't getting as sick but still that's disappointing. The Pfizer vaccine seems to be much more affective

Correction: correction the pfizer vaccine is giving protection against catching it for long for longer the AZ one bottoms out after 11 weeks

Post edited by spaceHopper on

• Advertisement
Advertisement