Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thank you!! How do I check if one arrived into Ireland today? Was told the 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oconnelleoin

Patara is docked in cork at the moment unloading. You can search the name on MarineTraffic

Just got told that ours wasn’t on it.

At this stage might not even get it first week of January

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oconnelleoin

Dam, were you told that it was meant to be on it? Should be one every 2 weeks so if its at the port in Germany it should be before January I would hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Anyone know if there's an English language version of this website?

"erWin - the up-to-date Eelectronic Repair and Workshop Information service from Volkswagen.

erWin contains:

• All repair manuals of Volkswagen AG
    • Additional repair information in PDF format (not available in all languages).
    • Additional information such as self-study programmes and training programmes.
    • Vehicle-specific information, such as maintenance charts, vehicle data and field actions, is available in several languages.
    • Constant updating of data
    • The Offboard Diagnostic Information System service - diagnostic software
      • With the benefit of being able to perform an offboard diagnostic for all Volkswagen brand vehicles with an EU-5 type approval via an SAEJ2534-compliant interface (diagnostic interface).
      • As well as the possibility of direct access to selected repair and servicing information during a current diagnostic session using the diagnostic software."

Might sign up and see what's available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

my timeline has gone from an already delayed delivery in December till end of January

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems the ID4 is getting a change from 2022. Cars built after week 51 will have

a black dash, not Brown.

Integrated data for we connect plus for data streaming

135kw charging

V3.0 software

Intelligent park assist as standard

A few other things for the high spec versions like self parking, upgraded sound, and the vehicle to vehicle "swarm" data for semi automated driving.

Hoping what can filters down to existing owners too as part of v3.0

Plenty of -2 and -3°c out there this morning. How are people getting on this morning ?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Consumption is 0kWh/100km since I walked the little fella to school this morning 😁

It did cost me a coffee though, needed to boost the internal heater output 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Nice to see the data package being included as standard, but I think it might be for 3 years only. I suspect VW might start charging people for the connected services after the 3 years, and just bundle some data with it for Spotify, etc.

There seems to be 2 versions of the park assist (Intelligent and Enhanced?) and the top version you don't have to train. I'm hoping it filters down to our cars as I can see some hilarity ensuing. Try and see if the car can park at the Athlone HPC, it doesn't seem to be designed to fit a car anyway so it'll be a challenge

I think the V2X is already in the car, but maybe they're finally switching it on in 3.0

I posted this in the ID3 Thread, probably the same applies for ID4.

I discovered the ID3 Battery heater does not preheat the battery while plugged into the mains, when I got into the car it was at around 8 Deg C probably from charging last night and after around 3 mins I saw the battery heater kick in to around 31 Deg C max temp.

When I got to a junction I stopped and observed a whopping 9 Kw being sucked from the battery for cabin heat and also battery heating, on the 7 Km school run I saw a whopping 39 Kwh/100 Km efficiency lol, unbelievable.

Anyone can see the consumption when stopped just go in to Vehicle and it shows the power consumptions there somewhere in Kwh/hr or something stupid like that.

By the time I got home the consumption was around 31 Kwh/100 Kms for around 14 Kms trip, that's massive. Never saw anything remotely close to this in the I3, most it would have been would be around 21 Kwh/100 Kms.

I noticed high consumption yesterday also on a shorter motorway trip, something like 30 Kwh/100 Kms, was around 40 Kms round trip and doing full 120 Km/hr.

They really need to get to grips with the battery heating and I believe some earlier id3 heat to 24 deg C ? seems they plan to change the way the car heats the battery in version 3 but that will be end of 2022 I bet given the slow rate they update software, I still haven't got ver 2.3

I did not have a preheat schedule set which could have prevented battery heating but I don't know whether this would have made a difference but you're think at the very least that the battery would preheat while plugged in when you activate preheat and suck power from the grid.

There really needs to be a battery precondition option in the app and in the car so you can choose whether to waste all this energy for short trips or not and there should be an option to preheat more for fast charging.

I'm definitely glad I have the 77 Kwh now lol-

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

You can choose English or other languages in the Einstellungen section.

Yep, you can't preheat the battery even if the car is plugged in, which is crap. This also effects anything on the MEB platform (Skoda Enyaq, Audi e, etc).

AFAIK there's supposed to be a difference between how cars that have received 2.3 OTA and cars delivered with 2.3 preinstalled currently deal with the battery pre-heating (or lack of). Anyone who received 2.3 OTA will have to get certain control units and the 12v manually flashed/replaced by the dealer in Spring 2022 to allow for the more efficient battery pre-heater to work. Given the long delay in releasing 2.3 I'd be surprised if anything arrived here before May. The ID.5 should arrive in December with 3.0 preinstalled.

This guy is obsessed with the battery pre heating (German only but you get the drift)

I thought anyone with non 1st production had all the hardware ? seems a bit mad the car won't preheat the battery while plugged in, just bonkers.

31 Kwh/100 Kms over 14 Km School run is just mental.

Just a simple " precondition battery" function and "preheat for fast charging now" options would be really great rather than the car mismanaging it, surely I can decide whether or not I want to waste a lot of electricity ?

I bet VW engineers think this would be too compilated for most people but then there should be an "auto battery precondition" option lol.

They've got all the hardware, AFAIK the problem is the CAN controllers can't be updated using OTA at the moment, the visit to the workshop is to fix that

VW have put in a "battery care" option in 3.0 which will automatically reset the charge level to 80% after it's been charged to full. Seems likely that function might get extended into battery heating

I've given up on tracking the consumption on short runs, for me a week of short runs averages out at 22kWh/100km but one or two longish (over 30km) trips brings that down the 19kWh/100km

"VW have put in a "battery care" option in 3.0 which will automatically reset the charge level to 80% after it's been charged to full. Seems likely that function might get extended into battery heating"

That sounds to me like that an 100% charge will actually be an 80% charge ?

Not sure what you mean there about getting extended into the battery heating ?

There's not much detail yet, but if enabled it'll automatically set the charge limiter back to 80% after a charging session

So if you set the limiter to 100% for a long trip, it'll revert back to 80% after the charging ends. You'll still have 100%, it just stops you forgetting to reset it lower

My comment around the heating was that VW seem to be adding in more controls around the battery care, so maybe they'll add a control for the battery heating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

From the VW ID Drivers facebook group, VW posted a list of upcoming updates, including:

Increasing the charging capacity via Over-the-Air (OTA) update

At the moment, the control units (ECU = electronic control unit) responsible for this are not yet updateable over-the-air. However, we are currently preparing a service campaign to which your Volkswagen partner will invite you and from which you will benefit in several ways:

• You will receive a new, technologically updated 12 V battery - the actual reason for the service campaign.
    • At the same time, further ECUs will be made OTA updateable.
    • Improvements in winter performance and improvements in the experience of future OTA updates.

Range optimization at low outside temperatures

With the upcoming ID. Software update, we are introducing improvements through optimized thermal management. This reduces consumption and thus increases the range by adjusting the activation threshold of the battery heating, especially in short-haul operation. At the same time, the charging performance in winter is improved by adjusting the heating threshold for DC charging.

In a further step, the preconditioning of the high-voltage battery during AC charging is also improved. The maximum charging power will also be increased. The optimization of the heating curves for the interior in the new climate software also contributes to increasing efficiency on short journeys in winter.

The downside is that the update for winter performance, etc. will probably come along with v3.0 of the software (next March)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sounds to me like VW seriously need to hire some software engineers that also have owned a BEV for a few years, these rookie mistakes & oversights they're making are unbelievable.

• Advertisement

It sounds like the optimisations they're planning for winter performance probably won't include any driver input.

Basically all that's really needed in my opinion is the ability to preheat the battery while plugged into the mains ( unbelievable this is not the case now )

2: Driver option to Enable/Disable preheat of the battery or fully automatic mode ( let the car decide )

3: Driver option to preheat for fast charge which will heat the battery to 25 Deg C or whatever allows max fast charge power but probably won't be less than 25 Deg.

I got in to the car this morning, outside temp -1.5 Deg C and the battery had preheated and was at 12/13 Deg C, it wasn't from charging because I hadn't got it plugged in but this time had a preheat timer set, yesterday I only preheated manually so this is probably what made the difference, this is id3 tour 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Wouldn't be so funny for the poor idiots who bought the propaganda and went for the lower KWH version thinking they could comfortably

make it there and back on their commute! I was actively considering getting an EV for my commute but your post is making me rethink as I would be

only able to afford the lower kwh budget versions of which ever electric car and can't afford to depend on warm weather to get to my destination and home comfortably. Looks like ICE continuation for now (900km range on a single diesel charge)

Well, 900 Kms range is nice with a big tank but it costs a huge amount more to drive this 900 Kms vs what I pay in electricity which is probably 10 Euro's or less to drive 4,300 Kms due to a lot of free work charging.

I discovered this morning that with a preheat timer that the battery did warm up so while plugged into the mains this would make a big difference to consumption at least for shorter trips.

I don't leave for work with the car plugged in so it has no chance to use mains power to heat the cabin or battery.

How far is your commute ?

I noticed this morning I got 21 Kwh/100 Kms by the time I got to work which wasn't bad considering I drove the M9 at 125 Km/hr and M7, then 100-110 N7/M50 total around 85 Kms and used 23% of the battery which included no preheating from the mains.

Preheating while not plugged in is not added to the car consumption either.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

That's interesting. My commute is 170kms return give or take. My worry after reading previous posts

is that on winters days in November to February range anxiety is a real thing unless one has the premium

EV's with really high KWH.

Also the amount of faffing etc that would have to be done and since most of the driving would be my wife

who struggles to keep her phone charged. I can imagine the hassle and stress of getting a phone call

some winters evening saying she is stuck in some garage on the N7 and having to problem solve it!

I realise the savings (I worked out that at current prices I would save about €2000 per annum on diesel) and that

was what had me considering an EV. In terms of actually economy however this would only potentially pay off

were I to go for the cheaper EV's (Leaf in particular at 0% finance at moment). Anything else and the diesel savings would

be swallowed up by depreciation and finance charges (eg 4.9% for enyaq etc)

Yeah 170km is pretty doable even in the depths of winter in most EVs from the past 3 years

Plugging in isn't a hassle really, just plug in when you get home from work. Have timer set to charge overnight and preheat to a nice toasty temp around departure time and you'll be grand

Leaf40 should do the job no problem, and there's a few available 2nd hand for under €20k

You could always keep the diesel guzzler for a while until you're sure the EV will work

Strange thing for me is that this morning the car didn't preheat the battery despite being plugged in, the other morning it preheated when not plugged in, both occasions preheat timer was set.

Can't explain it to be honest.

See below pics, time to preheat from 4.5 Degrees battery temp to 12.5 was around 9 mins, impact on long trips isn't big I suppose.

Car first powered on.

Battery heater switched off and cooling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

• Advertisement

RSymons RSEV

Interesting comment made that although the ID.4 is less efficient than the Model 3/Model Y, as the usable battery is larger in the ID.4 they all end up with the same overall range capability of about 250miles.

Advertisement