Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: the last line, a lot of these conditions are caused by bad diet and obesity. And its clear that the Western world is getting less active and fatter annually. So I would expect these numbers to continue to increase. To blame it on vaccines is a bit of a shot in the dark with no data to back up the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

They have shot up high above the five-year average since the summer. That is not a gradual annual rise, it is a huge jump in 5-6 months.

Something is causing large numbers of extra people to drop dead now.

Think about this, if we are obsessed about 'saving lives' and making it the absolute ruling principle of our society, why does a huge increase in non-covid deaths which are filling up mortuaries elicit no curiousity?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

This video featuring head of Israeli Management Team of Epidemics is quite revealing

https://twitter.com/efenigson/status/1461710181369270276?t=jAFEz1XpPHOrcqYowrUlTw&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think some vaccinated people want the anti-vax folks forcibly vaccinated so they can assure themselves they made the right decision. A kind of groupthink at play. People sometimes overreact to people that swim against the current.

I got vaccinated and I am pretty certain it was the right decision - I probably wont know for years. In the meantime I will trust in our public health officials and take any boosters offered. But I will vehemently oppose mandatory vaccination.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Causation/correlation and all that. Because of this pox we've had long periods of lockdowns, people isolated at home, people eating more(pandemic weight), people being more stressed mentally and emotionally, activities like gyms and the like shut down for long periods of time. Just that lot alone could easily cause an uptick in hear disease and diabetes being observed. Hell many of them could even be untested asymptomatic covid sufferers. Covid from early on was seen to cause cardiovascular problems. There are too many variables to pin it on vaccines at the moment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

listen to the scientists or we might as well pack up as a species and fade into extinction.

Ironically, without the scientists, this virus would greatly strengthen us as a species. Nature's merciless way of removing the weak and vulnerable from the gene pool, as it has done many times over the centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The article (which is unknown if it's true or not) came from an anti-vax source in Israel and has yet to have any confirmation (having read it, it's a bit all over the place and written as an opinion piece which things the people reading it would like to be true rather than anything factual). It would be a good conversation piece over on the CT forum but can understand why it was removed from here. It is pretty much the definition of JAQ'ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The key question here is to what degree do boosters for the healthy reduce transmission?

From what I can see it is insignificant. We would be better off sending vaccines to countries who can't afford them so we can get better global coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Why would anyone consider booster when more and more research show that vaccine effectiveness pretty much disappear within few months. I am not going to post links here as they disappear even faster but anyone who disagree can head to new england journal of medicine which is by no means source of fake news and have a read about what israeli scientists found. For people who may found this outrageous claim unbelievable please direct your disapproval and hate to authors of the study.

Readers who cant help themselves and want to be spoonfed with "Link?" demands and being unable to find info by using google the study is called:

Waning Immunity after the BNT162b2 Vaccine in Israel

Y. Goldberg and Others

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There is a follow up study on the boosters which is more relevant here:

Protection of BNT162b2 Vaccine Booster against Covid-19 in Israel | NEJM

In our study, we found that a booster dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine reduced the rates of both confirmed infection and severe Covid-19 illness in a large Israeli population of participants who were 60 years of age or older. Our findings can be understood through the following example. Suppose, first, that the combined effect of waning immunity and the increased prevalence of the delta variant decreases the efficacy of a vaccine that had been administered 6 months earlier to approximately 50% relative to the susceptibility in an unvaccinated person, as recent reports have suggested.2,16,17 Then suppose that, as suggested by our results, the booster dose reduces the rate of infection for such vaccine recipients by a factor of 10. This would mean that the susceptibility of a person who receives a booster dose would decrease to approximately 5% (i.e., 50% divided by 10) relative to that in an unvaccinated person and would bring the vaccine efficacy among booster recipients to approximately 95%, a value similar to the original vaccine efficacy reported against the alpha variant.9,18

That's a very long-winded way of saying "OK, you guys caught me in my lie, I apologise."

According to one Israeli study, 1 in 26,000 males over 16 experienced myocarditis after two doses. That is not infinitesimal by any definition of the word.

This is with 2 shots. What are the chances of a male developing myocarditis after 4 shots? Or 8?

Is it a case that if you did not experience it the first time, then the probability is lower with each subsequent shot (in layman's terms you are not "succeptible" to it). Or are you running a 1 in 26,000 gauntlet every single time? The latter would be very troubling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,816 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I do not see it as moving the goalposts. If I remember when the vaccines were first out. It was clearly mentioned that there a second one would be required - and in future a possible booster shot. I will be getting it because many elderly or those with underlying conditions are terrified of getting covid19. If I can do my small part to lessen the likelihood of such people getting it, no problem - no fuss. It does not take much time or effort. I will also be getting my flu jab during the same visit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Paper from the American Heart Association (only the Abstract available in this link) talking about an obersved link between mRNA vaccines and an increase in heart attacks:

Mrna COVID Vaccines Dramatically Increase Endothelial Inflammatory Markers and ACS Risk as Measured by the PULS Cardiac Test: a Warning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Note it was with the Pfizer two dose vaccine and Israel are already talking about a fourth booster of more of the same. A large percentage of Irish vaccinations were with the same Pfizer. It would be my contention that vaccines themselves are not the problem, but that the Pfizer in particular is the least effective over time and while offering a notable reduction in serious illness and death when active, it's not active for long. Earlier I linked a group of studies into the J&J which showed while it was slightly less effective at reducing illness and death but efficacy remained strong over eight months and immune memory B cells actually increased in activity and that included the Delta variant. It was one of the reasons I wnet for that choice when we had it. Even though concerns over clots with that vaccine were higher(though still tiny). J&J were quick to hail these results, until Pfizer and some agencies were calling for boosters, then they soon changed their tune. While not backtracking on their original position they said "ah sure another jab will increase efficacy even more" and "sure maybe it was supposed to be a two jab vaccine in the first place. Well, if you're not the crowd in need of so many boosters the shareholders won't like it.

The history of the pharmalogical industry particularly in America shows that profit and shareholders are often high on their list of priorities. The same industry in the US has killed nearly half a million of their own citizens on the back of the prescribed opiate crisis and the companies and their top exectives and owners have walked away with their billions intact. Oh and the the US FDA approved the labelling of those drugs no bother and defended that action for the guts of a decade, when it was abundantly clear early on that the companies were lying to them, doctors and patients and people were dying in droves, even when they were using the meds as prescribed under a doctor's care.

TL;DR? I would like to see a study into the efficacy of the current suite of vaccines over time. I'd bet the farm some are better than others and Pfizer is way down the list.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The one that measured myocarditis and found 136 cases out of 5 million people vaccinated? That one? And that the myocarditis was mild? That study?

And, that the risk of myocarditis from the vaccine is much less than the risk from Covid?

Vaccines can have side-effects, but the risk from Covid is always worse than from the vaccine. And at least, you presented data while the person I was responding to, who just threw words around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will be taking it on Tuesday at 10. No hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I'm out.

Huge amounts of people my age are still transmitting and I don't see how that changes. Israel climbing again, what next there? No 4?

As no benefit exists from the only reason I took it in the first place I'm out.

Press ahead with 50+ and people with conditions by all means, but the rest should be donated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

will people be offered the same vaccine they had before? if someone had 2 AZ for instance will the third be AZ too?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Fauci calling for all over 18 to get boosted, so you can expect that to happen over here soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

why ? If we need a booster every year so be it ? No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭KinnegadKid

No...I had both Astra doses but the booster I got yesterday was Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Got the Pfizer booster, after getting the first 2 doses of Pfizer. Apathy about continual need for boosters will mean lower and lower uptake each time I expect.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yes. Yes, I will. It's not just about me or my risk, but about the elevated risk I would pose to others if I didn't. There are good causes to rebellious for.. this isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Take a booster to get life back to normal according to the same people who told you to get the original vaccine to get life back to normal who are now saying it was foolish to believe taking the original vaccine was going to get life back to normal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh it's going to be a hard sell for the Government/NPHET. I just can't see there being anywhere near 93% of an uptake on this. Now that's just me hearing from my circle of friends / family. Most of the younger group (under 40) aren't going to be taking it straight away if at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why wouldn't anyone take something that's proven to keep you from getting very ill if you catch the virus?

Plus the benefit of making you less transmissible to your family and close contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

I'm double jabbed, mainly took the first two for travel and social reasons, have not felt 100% since I got them. No chance in hell I'm getting a booster.

I also know someone diagnosed with pericarditis from a single jab pfizer, the cumulative effect of these vaccines will be interesting to see down the line.

Advertisement