Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I haven't listened to Holohan since Day 1 to be honest.Never tuned into a press conference. What little I read of his remarks seems fairly arrogant, and since actions speak louder than words, his actions since early on this have been abysmal. He cannot or will not give a sh*t about what is actually practical in real life, it's just lockdown, lockdown, lockdown, no thought to the effect this has over time on anything or anybody, of other ways of approaching it, or if it is even working after a certain point in time, nothing. I do not for one minute believe that the 30 something people on NPHET have a say in any of this, I suspect it's just him and a couple of others whose voices are really the loudest (because that's human nature in large groups). Wouldn't waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Personally I think the damage has already been done to both retail and Hospitality sectors.

Massive cancellations of events widely reported, Retail limping along and lots of other businesses seriously impacted by not just the numbers but such uncertainty not helped by quite astonishing ineptitude in government.

It's just beggar's belief after almost 2 years, messaging is so bad. Gov still harping on about the unvaccinated, now they bizzarely think antigen testing is the answer. Absolute denial of the facts re schools and the most astonishing thing of all, their dependency on the population to reduce social interaction and being scared withless by silly incoherent messages from THE CMO.

Clearly alot of the concern is the Health system being over run but anyone including myself dependent on the heath system knows full well its been dysfunctional for years.

This morning senior ministers discussing supports yet again for the hospitality sector, extending the wage subsidy schemes etc. The dogs on the street know full well the Hospitality sector was weak in availing of wage subsidy schemes, preferring to drop staff like bad habits, those staff no longer have the PUP option so extending EWSS for hospitality staff utterly meaningless and the same applies to retail staff.

I've spoken to and know many retail business owners, they are and have been struggling, not just with enormous reduction in business levels, they've yet to deal with substantial rent arrears, warehoused tax debt and still fighting with insurance companies re business interruption claims.

Whilst some seem to focus on short term lockdowns, restrictions etc few if anyone discussing the appalling damage that has been done to both retail and hospitality sectors. Economic forecasts, predictions utterly meaningless for 1000's of businesses that will close in 2022.

An absolute Cluster****

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

Every young teacher I know is out shifting in pubs and clubs.

They'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So much so that people are being forced to boost their immunity system under threat.

mind blowing stuff indeed, could you have seen this two years ago?

were there mandatory vaccinations when that dreadful ‘Aussie’ flu was rampant during the winter of 2017/18? Why not? It was a LOT worse than covid.

Is it not middle aged/ older Teachers, those with health conditions that are concerned 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Holohans whole job is to despise the public. He has always been Mr Nanny State. When he went for his Master's in Public Health, he would have been conditioned into the thought of that the public are stupid and need their health choices taken from them.

We are stupid and he will make our decisions for us because we are incapable.

I hear you but have to say some of the reporting from Gp"s is startling in relation to how people are using antigen tests or more to the point how incorrectly they are using them. There was a very heated discussion on the P Kenny radio show last Friday with a GP, just a few minutes ago on the Claire Byrne show, GP and NPHET member also alarmed at how patients are incorrectly using antigen tests.

I'm not suggesting people are stupid but there's a serious problem with the entire messaging around antigen testing and how they should be used.

The situation not helped with delays in availability of PCR testing, which by all accounts very difficult to get at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

I don’t think I’ve ever come across anyone as fcuking arrogant as that man. A deeply, deeply unlikeable human being.

Being? Maybe. Human? No. An egomaniac to the core. I wonder how many cases, hospitalisations, deaths and mentally affected people he has caused by his illogical opposition to masks and antigen testing not to mention a litany of inconsistent and nonsense restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The swabs today and tomorrow will be interesting.

Most data seems to indicate a R number around 1.

Whilst I expect some further restrictions I do not forsee anything drastic.

Hospitality closing time brought to 9/10pm perhaps to ensure no early nightclubs etc.

Public transport restricted to 50%

Only have 2 other households over to yours at one time etc..

I do not anticipate a full lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think his ultimate problem with antigen testing is that if people use them and only use them then it does nothing for the official Covid stats.

I did an anti-gen test about a month ago. I had the sniffles. Tested negative, rolled on as normal. Maybe I had the virus, who knows. But if my anti-gen said I was positive, I still wasn't going to go for the official HSE test. I would just isolate for a week. I Work from home, so don't need tests to keep me off work.

If more people had that mindset, we'd have a couple of hundred cases a day. And they wouldn't be able to justify restrictions.

• Advertisement

It really is baffling and I'm just not getting all the confusion around antigen testing, particularly as they seemed to have been used successfully in other countries. Maybe it's just mixed messaging, clear hestitency from NPHET etc. Unfortunately it would seem there's not enough people with common sense, like yourself but glad to hear you were fine 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I do not forsee anything drastic.

Hospitality closing time brought to 9/10pm perhaps to ensure no early nightclubs etc.

Has everyone gone insane? We have 92% of all eligible people vaccinated, we are now in year 2 of this 'pandemic' and the sky has not yet fallen in, but there are people who think that closing everything at 9pm, cutting Public transport to 50% and only having people from 2 other households at yours MAX is not "drastic".

Christ above, there is a pandemic of delusion in this country thats what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭brickster69

Aye, looks like the teachers will be thrown in the scapegoat pile along with the unvaxed and publicans. Probably chuck the kids in as well for good measure.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He also doesn't believe that the riff raff should get subsidized antigen tests.. they'd only stockpile them

no doubt to sell them at a premium down on Moore Street

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's probably semantics, some people see drastic as lockdown, others see drastic as masks on public transport.

We can be hopeful and get through the next 8 weeks without going back to full lockdowns, whatever we go into, we need to get out of it as fast as possible, at least we've left the semblance of pursuing zero COVID behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Agree 100%. If everyone used antigen then official numbers would fall off a cliff. Instead of heading down to Lansdowne Rd or wherever they do tests these days pop into Circle K and buy an antigen…. If it’s negative great if it’s positive sit at home for a week… if you feel sick call a doctor, it’s not hard!

I’d bet a lot of the people who feel grand but are still getting PCR tests and bumping the numbers up are the very same people who’ll be in the pub later giving out about unvaxxed filth being the cause of us still being under restrictions!

Sure didn’t that walking potato Stephen Donnelley say the other day the government couldn’t send them out for free because they cost too much?? PCR’s are 10 times the price for Christ sake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If the R number is at 1 then it would have dropped from 1.3 a few short days ago, if that's the case (and I don't think it is the case) there will be no further restrictions

With the restrictions you talk about

Hospitality closing time brought to 9/10pm perhaps to ensure no earNly nightclubs etc.

Nightclubs will open earlier (3pm-9pm for example)

Public Transport was the first to go to 100%, it will be the last to revert

That helped us to avoid a lockdown last January so this will definitely be considered by government

If there is to be another Lockdown I think you're not far off the money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Holohan fully admitted that he doesn't believe closing pubs or clubs earlier wll have much of an impact.

Well why the do it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It is purely so the government can give the impression they are doing "something". It doesn't matter if it has no meaningful impact, as long as they appease the poor folks they've been terrorising with fear for the last 20 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

He didn't, and he's the 100th medical person to say the same since thing in the last 7 days. That decision was made by the same man who created our dysfuctional health service so that might explain the decision a bit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

He said it gave the message to the public that things were serious from a public health perspective. Therefore people will change their behaviour.

An odd thing to admit that the club night industry was used in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

He didn't, Government did. NPHET never recommended it

It's been a S***show for months, the only people who failed to understand, grasp or acknowledge it was those in Gov, Public Health & NPHET but most noticeably the Minister actually responsible for education.

Precisely, Gov clutching at straws as per normal 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Everybody including the Minister for Education knows how bad the schools must be.

However all agree that they can't close again. Especially now that we have had such a successful vaccine roll out.

On Newstalk Breakfast this morning, the teacher’s union said a new survey of its members found that around 1.6.% of pupils tested positive for COVID this month.

The survey, which was answered by nearly 900 schools around the country also found that 3.6% of teachers had picked up the virus.

What are they up to outside of class?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

A colleague of mine, her husband was the weekend on call consultant in a local hospital. He was in from 6am to 10pm Saturday and Sunday. They've no more beds so they were transferring out patients to other local hospitals. She said there was a lot of people in their 40s unfortunately, either unvaccinated or with underlying conditions. He felt that they will shortly have to start making decisions on who gets ventilated. This could get very grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement

I'm certainly not proposing closing schools just questioning the outrageous denial of the facts, the removal of contract tracing and appalling lack of support Schools, principals ,Parents seem to have got.

Bad enough the Denials but some of the excuses given by Norma Foley were frankly breathtaking .

Advertisement