Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They talk about the impact on Global banks by issuing CDS's but they don't take into account the fact that following 08 banks need to hold capital in case these default and in a lot of cases OTC's with a foreign corporate will attract a minimum risk weighting of at least 100%. Which means that a bank has capital put aside to cover any losses when they issue the CDS's. The winners will be the funds that bought the CDS's a couple of years ago if Evergrande does officially go bankrupt and the Chinese Government stand back and let it happen. But I don't see that happening as it would lead to the one thing that they are scared off.... civil unrest of the masses.

Furthermore back in Sept Evergrande bonds were no longer accept as collateral which yet again reduces the impact of direct contagion.

The biggest risk from China at the moment is a slow down in output due to power outages which will generate inflation as there will be less goods available and prices will rise on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I only recently read Cixin Liu. If it's any reflection on the CCP mindset, I except Xi does not care about civil unrest. They recently issued edicts controlling when and for how long video games can be played as well as outlawing tutoring.

Good points on CDS.

I don't really know where China wants to go but if it decides to flex, it's well set to topple the US....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

:)

That was the only thing i could think someone might work at to have that exposure. But im still betting that if they worked near council estates theyd be far busier in them than in the private estates. 4 private estates and one council estate near where i live. Patrol cars always in and out of the council estate. Friends living there confirm that too. I think ive seen one in one of the private estates in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Power outages were not much of an issue. Sorted now.

They actually doing really well from covid effects. Production is booming. Shipping rates through the roof. Flat out pumping containers.

Their bigger issues are housing market, water supply and aging population. The latter will affect their output massively in the coming two decades.

Have spent plenty of time in council estates over the years.

Most disputes between neighbours happen in private estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A family member put a house for sale in a small town in Wexford last Thursday at 198k. Currently at 230k

Totally insane, those houses were selling in 2007 for that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With present cost of building supplies and labour as well as planning and regulatory costs unless that house is a kip it's still below the cost go build it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

I doesn't matter if you are sick of the mindset or not. Most people if they are paying and have a choice will want as few social housing units beside them as possible and will try to actively avoid social housing beside them at all. You getting upset about it is the equivalent of trying to hold back the tide, you are pissing into the wind imo

It's also my opinion that if you had to scrimp and save for a deposit in order to get a mortgage to buy a house whic h you will work like a slave to pay back over the next 30 years you will try to avoid anything that would bring down the value of that house, make it look bad or make it difficult to live in.

That's why there are good estates in every town and bad ones, good areas and bad ones.....you may try to spread out the issues but people will still find ways to get around it.....the reason the houses in the good areas command a premium is because there is more demand for them and less supply.....the non-assholes know there's no point fighting with the assholes and getting dragged down to their level and instead seek out more non-assholes they can live around and have some quality of life/privacy/peace..and people think there is a higher chance of assholes or asshole behaviour when people don't have to pay or pay much less for something than the going rate (I tend to believe that myself tbh...things given free/cheap seem to be abused/taken for granted/not respected, but if you have to earn something you tend to treat it with a lot more respect ..people thinking like that....not so crazy.....and it was ever thus imo.

Let me ask you this hypothetical question, You've got 500k to spend

You can buy a house in a nice mature area where there is very little crime or anti-social behaviour, the chances are when you go to sell, this house has a chance of making that money again or even more as this is a desirable area (even if its just due to snobbniness - that's where the demand is).....in the meantime there is also the least risk of crime, anti-social behaviour eye etc

Or

You can put your money where your opinion is and buy a cheaper house in an area with lots of social housing or a new estate with a high allocation of social housing .....where those allocated are paying a lot less and haven't had to work for it....and statistically there is more crime / anti-social activity happening.....theres a higher chance here you will get less than you paid here when you go to sell and regardless of what people think about forever homes you probably will sell at some stage....fair enough you might save yourself plenty for a good security set up and change for a savings account

Now I know things aren't as black and white as those two stark options above but that's the thought process and it's not entirely devoid of logic or evidence to back it up (and we haven't even began talking about parents wanting a safe environmenr to bring up kids)

Anyway if you had the option of either which would you choose?

The answer to what the majority would choose is in my opinion evident in the gap in prices between "good" areas and "bad" areas in every part of the globe......

Post edited by amacca on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My daughter was best friends with a social welfare recipient and we were very sad when they left. We're not on social welfare. There's an anecdote from you, can we move on from this crap?

Any ideas on occupancy rates in formerly empty developments like Clancy quay? I'm baffled how everything is now more full than it was before WFH and in the absence of a lot of foreign students not coming to Ireland. Has there been an immigration boom during covid19? Have a lot of Irish returned home?

Any ideas what is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

1) Are pension funds/funds investing in property as the yield is better than bonds, stocks etc?

2) Is that yield a function of rental prices/rates?

(For commercial units as well)

3) Is it true that said funds would rather leave units lying idle than accept lower rents, drop rates and realise a much lower ROI/yield

If the answer to all 3 questions is yes then perhaps they are not full?

Or there is a shortage and even with less foreign students etc there's not enough supply to satisfy demand? And it might be a more severe crisis if there was no covid even with building materials costing less than they do now etc?

Maybe less people are leaving the country as well as people coming back as there's nowhere to go?....Its uncertain out there.....UK not the option it once was, no flights to states etc....id be nervous about leaving now if I had a family to support.

• Advertisement

I currently have over 500K to spend on a house. My requirements are few. Location, by that I mean where in the city the house is located. Not the housing estate. Is it on public transport, is it a short commute to work, are there shops within walking distance, is there a park or somewhere else I can have a walk close by, is it not too far from college.

A South or south/West rear facing garden and a back/side entrance are hopes. That's it really.

If I had millions I wouldn't live in a house on Killiney hill. More likely to buy a rundown 3 storey along the NCR and do it up. I believe in getting value for my money. I don't care what anyone else pays or doesn't pay for their house and I feel sorry for you if that's the most important thing about your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Your wish list while not wholly extravagant is well beyond the reach of most working people. What's been paid for social housing is a major contributing factor to that affordability issue.

No it is not! Houses in crumlin, drimnagh, cabra etc all fit the bill and are well within the reach of most working people. Which I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most working people do not have 500k to spend on a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You have 500k to spend on a house. That's well beyond what "most working people" can afford to spend on a house.

Median income for a 2 adults with no kids household as per https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditionssilc2019/income/ was just €50,809 in 2019. That equates to a mortgage at 3.5 LTI of <180,000. Stick a healthy deposit of ~50k on top and you're still only looking at €230,000. How many 3 beds that tick your boxes does that actually get you in Dublin? Even in those areas you listed, it doesn't go far. Throw in an extra ~100k of inheritance for fun. Daft has 25 3 beds under €325k in total across Crumlin/Drimnagh/Cabra/Dolphin's Barn.

What house can a household on that income afford to buy?

vs

What house can a social housing recipient live in?

Can you not accept that a) the social housing strategy is playing a part in driving prices up and competing with FTBs? and b) it's unfair that the median working household cannot afford to buy as nice a house/area as those who aren't working or earn a lot less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Grand big green for the kids to play (joyride) in too!

Here's a dream location for a mere 70k. You're kids will go up fast here tho!

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-182-moneymore-drogheda-co-louth/3622611

It's not as expensive as you think. A couple buying a 500k house would have an above average deposit, where ever it came from we will assume 20% Inc GTB

If they get a derogation they would have 4 times income so combined income of 100k.

Repayments would be in the 1700 euro/months over 25 years or 1500/month over 30 years. They would have a household monthly income of 6200/month or 27% of income if the 25 year option is chosen.

Slava Ukrainii

Added bonus is that your kids will get the snobbyness knocked out of them on a regular basis. They might even end up knocking the snobbyness out of other kids in a fews years,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most working people do not have a combined income of 100k! - Certainly not most getting mortgages. Central bank has a breakdown of mortgage applicants each year, also includes Dublin specific stats also.

Also keep in mind there is a bias here in that only people who actually get the mortgage and the house are recorded here, those who didnt earn enough wont be counted in the stats which skews them higher.

• Advertisement

No they don't, but they can afford houses in crumlin, drimnagh, cabra etc which is the point I was making.

I dont intend to spend that btw.

Average lending rate in Dublin is 3.3 time LTV, rest of the country is 3.0.

In a so called heated market the metrics look ok.

Except for Dublin average house prices are not approaching 500k.

In midsized towns houses are around the 250-280k bracket largest urban centers 280-350k. In cities and in commuting area adjacent to Dublin about 250-400k is the go.

Most trades people ate now on 50k/year, most MNC's are paying that and above. So. Is in Dublin first year out of college and on 35k/ year with pension and health insurance kicking in from the new year on.

I really like to see figures for incomes excluding students who skew the overall figures. Those on single incomes of less than 35k in Dublin are entitled to HAP support and go on the housing list. The funny thing is most younger professionals don't apply for it even though they ate entitled to it

Slava Ukrainii

I guess you're being funny 🙄 are you saying all social tenants joyride and burn out cars? Did you not claim to grow up in council housing? Maybe I have you mixed up. But you definitely sold a house to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Like others I'm sure not coming to this forum as often but something I thought was interesting.

The close correlation between daft asking and CSO PPR has played through from my post last March

So what should we expect for Mar 2022 now (assuming a 6 month lag not my 1 year lag originally)

Latest daft report https://ww1.daft.ie/report/2021-Q3-houseprice-daftreport.pdf?d_rd=1

Asking prices dropped back between Aug and Sep (169.7 v's 168). Now asking prices same as June

All things being equal should translate to the CSO numbers trending towards flat Mar 2022

First time since 2013 that asking prices have dropped between these 2 months (fairly regular drop Oct -> Nov perhaps related to seasonality)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

The poster is not saying all social tenants joyride. Whether you want to accept the fact or not there is more of a risk of anti social issues in social housing estates than privately owned estates. The minority who destroy social housing areas are responsible for the reputation of social housing estates.

Your experience of issues in social housing estates are rare in the main. if social housing areas are as you say why do we find houses in social housing estates boarded up? If you feel that there are little or no issues in traditionally working class areas and you feel that people paying extra to live in more desirable areas then work away in purchasing in the more traditional working class areas.

As someone who has lived in one of the traditional working class areas you mentioned in a previous post I can tell you it is not all sweetness and light that you appear to think it is. Wait until you cross paths with one of those individuals/families who destroy areas and see how you get on.

If you stalked me properly you would have read that yes I did grow up in a council estate and that i alo said that 90% pf people were just lovely, but that a few scum families destroyed the whole estate and also destroyed the lives of a fair proportion of the other nice families living there.

And I ended with saying I do not want to put my kids through that if I can help it at all.

I will say too that not all social tenants steal burn out cars, but Im willing to bet most who steal and burn out cars are children of social tenants who grew up in social housing.

So, we don't want large scale council estates.

But we don't want social tenants living beside us.

We don't want mixed estates because the value of our houses will go down.

But we want houses to be cheaper so we can buy them.

Mmmmmm, 🤔🤔

I also grew up in more than one of those estates.

There is no reason to presume that if you live in private housing, the social tenant next door is anymore likely to be antisocial, then the private tenant next door neighbour

You are clearly not getting the points people are making here.

Try to get past your inner SJW and look at it from buyers eyes.

• Advertisement

I have been a.buyer twice in my life, and currently may be a buyer again.

What's a sjw

Advertisement