Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Landlords feel entitled to rent increases?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

A rental property is worth between 15 and 20 years annual rent so if you don’t keep the rents high you are lowering the value of your property. Banks probably use closer to 10 years rent. 

My father had a house in flats, since he passed away I help my mother with it.  Dad had the rents low and it very foolish of us not keep rising them.

Once the government brought out Rent Pressure Zones we should have been rising the rents to the max every year. Because we didn’t we are now locked in to low rent. The only way to fix that is to kick out every body and do a major renovation so that we can rebase line the rents. Personally I think rents are about 30% or more too high but are all the other costs in Ireland.  

By getting rid of small timeland lords and bring in RITS we have made things worse. Yes there is stock of good apartment to rent but a lot of them are empty, from what I hear finding somewhere to live is very difficult. I work with a guy from India and he said that people were offering an extra 200 or 300 a month cash to get a place at viewings so he keep missing out. So we are back to a black market economy. Thankfully for him he’s bought a place here now.

The way I see renting form a private LL is meant to be a convenience while you are young and not a life time thing. Is you’re a student you rent a house with a gang keep the rent down. You’re a 20 something you rent a house or flat with few others and enjoy life then eventually settle down and buy a place of your own or with wife, husband…  You’re in need of social housing, short term rent allowance or HAP, log term you rent form the council at an affordable rent.  

This craic of using private land lords as social housing is driving up rent and costing the state much more for poorer quality housing or the wrong type. I know people are crying out for apartment but these new 10+ story apartment building are going to end with social problems and massive fire. We don’t deal with antisocial behaviour here and we don’t enforce building regs or have a fire service that can fight those types of fires.

The blaming all of this on LL’s and RITEs is the government's way of covering their tracks and avoiding blame. As a further LL I shouldn’t say this but if you want to change things don’t vote FF or FG next election vote Labour and SF or for Social/Left  parties. Whatever you do make sure to vote.  

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

as a citizen and a landlord, you should be allowed say what you will, you shouldnt feel ashamed for speaking your mind, our default political ideologies towards property are clearly failing so badly now, that most, including landlords, are in serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Agree on that. Crazy people with all their spare cash since covid putting it into property. Artificially inflating everything. Its a lose lose situation

you ll also find the conversation about the money supply of the property markets is regularly down played, when in fact its also causing the bulk of the issues with these markets. the primary source of our money supply for these markets is from the private sector, in the form of credit, this is ultimately why very few realised that our previous bust was in the post, this is the 'finance' element of the fire sector

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Why do some tenants feel entitled , to STOP paying their rent ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People can't just say it's the governments fault as if they're some indivisible entity.

All the legislation that's driving smaller LLs away is down to the Dáil, and that's not just FF or FG as it's not like the rest would be against more protections or doing even more to limit rents and vote as such.

The rest is down to the councils, they're the ones getting handed the cash and then either outbidding individuals themselves or renting it off the reits who did it.

possibly some psychological issues occurring, possible financial issues, the list is endless really, but its the fact, our property markets are falling most tenents and landlords now, most landlords probably need to continually increase rates, to decrease the risks involved

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Well not when houses are overpriced and crap quality stuff is sold at HIGHEST RENTALS in EUROPE - (Know of someone who Llved in e rated apartment at about 2K ( EA lied house was BER C). At shops, we can order from other countries via amazon etc. We do not need to give salary certificates etc when buying online? We do not need to stand in queue and wait for highness LAND LORD to select us as a tenant (Read Purchaser). Logics hits both ways.

Also, shops consider inflation/cost of goods sold when raising prices - Rentals are raised randomly, luckily RTB had set a RPZ. Else rentals would have increased at 10% PA. So OP simply wanted to show WHY THE ENTITLEMENT, when you are already selling substandard (comparitive) apartments at OVERPRICED rates.

Will you buy a Hyundai and pay BMW Price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

If you want LOWER RENTALS, you need more rental properties (and more evil landlords).

RPZ's only help sitting tenants. New tenants pay top dollar in return. RPZ's drive lower cost rentals out of the market. Any LL charging anything less than maximum rent is reducing their income for decades to come as well as the value of their investment - who is going to do that.

As for entitlement .... I expect if your employer offered you a pay increase, you'd happily take it, but should you be entitled to it? The cost of my electric bill for my home has increased, buy why should my utility company be entitled to charge more? Entitlement is a dangerous concept in a market where identical properties have different limits on how much they can be rented for. Who should get to set the entitlement for any given product or service?

Finally. If you want quality, having a market where the price you are charged cannot be increased because you are receiving a higher quality product/service, is only going to mean a race to the bottom in standards. Where is the incentive to repaint, replace the old carpet, and fix the drafty window when you can charge the same rent whether you do the work or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I briefly worked for a pharmaceutical company in a technical capacity. You would be amazed at the absolute b@stards insisting the the price of a drug for cystic fibrosis or multiple sclerosis is far too cheap and we could demand a lot more for it than we're getting. Supply and demand being the oft cited reason for the price increase. They had the power to increase the price so they did. Whether they should or not shouldn't wasn't considered apart from one or two people.

Now the service supplied by landlords is housing. We have a housing crisis and many people are homeless in the state. The oft repeated phrase here is "supply and demand". This is indeed a reason why you can raise rents but that doesn't mean you should. Raising rents far out of sync with wage inflation increases the risk of homelessness and further decreases supply of affordable housing. We have seen the same thing happening during the Celtic Tiger times. I have worked with UCD's student housing program for vulnerable students (children without parents and victims of abuse ect) and many had to leave accommodation due to price hikes or the landlord pretending to sell and then hiking the price. The reason I mention this is to convey that like healthcare, housing is something that is essential and hiking healthcare or housing has consequences.

Rises in rent isn't in line with wage inflation. It's that simple. Raising rents dramatically reduce people's ability to afford them because you can deserves no respect. So please do people the favour of being honest and say that you're raising rents because you can. Stop comparing it to taking a pay raise from your boss and this doesn't reduce your bosses' ability to afford a house (or else they wouldn't offer it).

To quote an oft cited post recession phrase "it's greed, greed and more f-ing greed". This is why some people see some of the landlord class in Ireland as being morally bankrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fairly irrelevant as under the drug payments scheme there is a maximum price you will pay for drugs per month. Currently €114 iirc so they can charge what they want on the basis of supply and demand and it does not affect the end user. Are you suggesting something similar for the rental market whereby the govt should pay anything above a set price or ahould the landlords act like a charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I'm not a landlord but it isn't a charity!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If it makes you happy:

Landlords raise rent because they can, it is legal to do so within the related legislation, and it makes business sense to maximise return on what is a considerable investment with quite a lot of associated risk.

There is nothing new, Earth shattering, nor morally wrong with that, despite what you may think. Rents plummeted during the last recession, there was little sympathy for landlords.

I do appreciate that working with students you are at the forefront of the rental crisis, but it has never been the responsibility of private landlords to provide homes for everyone, nor to provide rental properties at prices affordable to everyone. Your ire should be directed at those who have made the rental sector so unappealing, that at a time when rents are so high, high numbers of landlords are actually exiting the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's the law of unintended consequences.

The RPZ legislation rewarded the LL's who had been pushing rents up and punished, in perpetuity, those LL's who were letting properties at below market rates or not increasing rents for sitting tenants.

Bad and all as that was, it still allowed LL's who did not raise the rent on a sitting tenant at every possible opportunity, to catch up on the cumulative rent increases when that tenant moves on.

However the latest update has removed that discretion from the LL, a good tenant counts for nothing anymore, any rent increases not applied at the maximum rate and at the earliest possible opportunity, can never be recovered.

This latest change will ensure that every tenant gets a rent increase every year at the maximum allowed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Your argument is based on one person you know and you assume to know the landlords tax situation.

Inflation

Its a business

Your free to purchase Our own place or move

Within the law

High cost /risk

All of the above and more is why landlords can increase rents.

No big conspiracy just market factors at play. Constant government interference is guaranteed to make it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Of course.

Rents completely crashed a decade ago.

Tenants were breaking leases right, left and centre to move somewhere cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I recall also being shafted by the Dept Social Protection at the time whi reneged on agreements all over the place. And they wonder why some LLs are reluctant to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Propagating the idea being a landlord is a moral failing is a deeply unhelpful attitude tbh. Housing is a right, absolutely, but private citizens aren't charities. It's a business, run like one. You have a right to food, but don't expect a super market to operating not for profit.

Somehow the years of declaring war on landlords hasn't helped, today's high rents are a direct result of rent controls as was predicted at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There is no right that I’m aware of to either housing nor food, but I catch your drift and agree with most of what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If one doesnt like the rent they are paying then they are free to move elsewhere.

Thats not me being funny, thats just the reality of the renting and the reality of the market is that there is no availability for anyone to move elsewhere so landlords know they can get higher rents because renters dont have a choice.

If you were a landlord it would be foolish of you not to get the maximium return from your investment.

If you are a renter your ire should be directed at the government who have the ability to improve supply but have been failing at it for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's the law of supply and demand. This time next year the problem may be trying to feed ourselves not the price of rentals.

Fertlizer prices are going through the roof. Last year as farmers we paid 340/ ton for Urea, next spring it's projected to be up and n 1k/ ton....and that is if we can get it. On a 5 year average Urea has averaged about 380-390/ton.

If I buy the same amount of fertlizer as last year my bill will go from less than 3k to about 9k.

Slava Ukrainii

But we voted for a government (repeatedly) that leaves supply to market forces and every hamfisted intervention just made the renters situation worse. Maybe it is not an issue that the majority of people care about

the so called ' laws of supply and demand' are actually not laws at all, this was termed as so in order to compete with the scientific sector, but the major difference between the two is that scientific laws go through rigorous tests and procedures, in order to be determined laws, this is not so in the world of economics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

People voted for governments despite their continuing malaise in relation to housing.

They either dont care, dont care enough or believe the big announcements like the ‘recent housing for all’ campaign.

There are also the large number of people on the other side who are homeowners that have seen a dramatic rise in the value of their property over the last 5 years. Hard to vote against a government that is giving you that kind of growth in your primary residence.

• Yes. I am a landlord and had to decrease my rent charge at the time of the financial crisis. Can work both ways. I ended up being fixed with a rental income well below fellow landlords and so increase at every opportunity, otherwise I may as well throw the keys at my tenants and call myself a charity. A new boiler cost me €2000 and doesn’t pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The entitlement derives form the fact they:

1. Own the property, and
    2. There is a demand so people will pay it.

yes people are entitled to vote for who they like, but continually voting for parties that advocate for such outcomes, is very likely voting against your own kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews future

homeowners are under severe pressure, theres enormous risk involved in being a landlord, the main way of increasing protection and reducing risk, is to increase rates, its virtually the only tool they have

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

3./ Government intervention has reduced the rental supply and this was sold to renters under the title of protections, and what renter wouldnt want protections 🙄

All right if you want to nit pick ittge ''effect of supply and demand''

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement