Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

again on an individual putt just like any shot the system is not perfect, even he would admit that himself

obviously slope has a big factor on any putt versus a straight one

no one would say anything else

so either they didn't explain it properly or the lads on the podcast didn't get it or it got lost in the mix

From what I have heard the slope stats arent out there in the same way as the state of the rough on an iron shot is a factor on one shot, but bad lies etc even out over time across all golfers

just like distance might trump across all golfers, but there are ones out there that can overcome this as we see at a pro level and amatuer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Tbh, I think it's more of a reversion away from pure power to my casual eye. . He even looks a little less bulkier in his conditioning. He mentioned afterwards being more happy to play like Rory McIlroy rather than trying to play like someone else. So I took that, as he's no longer going to try to do what say a De Chambeau is doing, and altering his swing like he was earlier this season say. Whatever Rory is doing now, it's working.

Now it's all relative, he was still hitting his 3w 350+yards on demand, granted through the dry air of Nevada on a dry course, but still he was hitting it as far as Ricky & others were hitting driver. And yes he was using a fade to control his bounce off a driveable par 4, to hold the green, but overall his natural game looked to be back. He was puring the ball, and able to control his ball flight like no other player on the course, he was magic & pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭blue note

Sorry, I said uphill / downhill on my first and slope on my second post. Uphill / Downhill is what he said made very little difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I saw this posted on Mike Adams (#2 ranked coach in the US) Instagram yesterday where he did a road trip Q&A and someone(a poster on this forum) asked a question about Rory's action

Mike's Response ::

I know it's 2 different clubs being used in the photo, but there's a marked difference in takeaway.

I've blocked out the instagram handles as I dont know if I'm allowed to share them ? Thought I better err on the side of caution

You have to careful looking at takeaway DTL in 2D. Camera position has to be 100%. There is no way McIlroy has a takeaway as inside as pic no2 looks. Don't film yourself either unless you know what you are doing. Good AMG article/posts about camera angles search for AMG camera angles messing with your swing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You can actually see the difference by looking at the feet positioning in the two pictures - really shows that the 2nd picture isn't looking perfectly square on

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Yeah - agreed, just listened to Jon Rahm on NLU podcast & he said the exact same thing; some swing video was doing the rounds (from colonial I think) earlier this year that showed his back & forward swings tracked each other incredibly close - he commented something along the lines of he got a great laugh out of that because he knows for a fact that is not the case but camera angle can make all the difference!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When's Rory playing again?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

DP World Championship, Dubai - November 18th

http://www.rorymcilroy.com/schedule.html

The pictures are just being used as an example of demonstration in his hands. Surely the words of the #2 ranked coach in the US should be whats commented on rather than an inch of angle difference in a photo

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-50-best-teachers-in-america

• Advertisement

Finally confirmed, probably was just waiting for the travel restrictions to open up again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Leading after eight holes at -6. Got through the first two holes in -3. 😲

Yeah playing excellent, unlucky not to have a few more.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Finished the round at -7. Leading by two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He was spotted breaking and throwing a club into a lake after yesterday's round. There's also plenty of images of him having ripped his own shirt in the markers tent... Slightly unhinged behaviour imo.

I only got to see the final few holes yesterday and joined it when his was 140 yards out on 16. Wedge in hand, 3 putt bogey to end his slim chance of a win.

In one way it's good to see his frustration, but I don't think he channels it in the right way at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Think unhinged is a bit unfair! Frustration got the better of him, he knew he should have won but didn't. I've often walked off very frustrated after throwing one away, but I don't run particularly hot when it comes to golf for obvious reasons, it not being my livelihood for one.

I'm sure he was most frustrated about not winning, but his finish cost him €2.8m from not winning and €800k from not closing out second. He has more money than he'll ever spend, but I'm sure it still annoyed the hell out of him.

He believes he's the best and wants to show it, so the frustration when he doesn't is huge.

Edit: I think he may be beginning to channel it in the right direction however as there has been a big uptick in his form lately, we'll see where he goes from here however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's a bit of a difference between being annoyed with yourself for blowing the monthly medal Vs a grown man who knows the eyes of the world are on him, nearly ripping the shirt of himself.

It's definitely unhinged behaviour in my book.

I don't exactly agree that he's channeling it in the right way (not in this instance anyway) but I do think that he was missing a bit of this frustration/wasn't placing high enough demands on himself for some time and in that sense, a little bit of anger is good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Source for him being spotted throwing a club into a lake? Saw a post on social media referencing him doing that in Doral a number of years ago, accompanied by the picture from yesterday.

And you say you followed from 16, so you missed him rip a drive up 15 and richochet off the flag into a bunker with his 2nd shot when tied for the lead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just look at his round stats for yesterday, horrible. He needs to get rid of the bad round, simples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Unhinged is a bit OTT. He got mad, probably thought in a safe zone but forget that people and phone's are everywhere.

He should have won yesterday and the rage was coming, the double bogey on 18 on Friday was avoidable and that's what cost him the in the end.

Don't think I've ever seen anything like the unlucky flag bounce on 15 turning the definite birdie into bogie and having not made birdie on 14 that gotta be hard to take.

Happy to see him mad TBH shows that no matter what he's won he still cares and I can see him doubling down on the practice over the next few months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tiger 2013 Masters was even more unlucky as it spun into water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Look up Howell III at Torrey Pines I think, off the flag and into the water at 18 while leading.

Lost to Tiger I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Morikawa had it won before that double bogey. He needed to go -3 for the last three holes after the bogey at 15 - the wedge shot on 16 is what killed off any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Agreed - for me I'd say Rory's anger was the 2/3 shots he left behind on 14 & 15. For him on Sunday after drive & approach 14 was a must birdie; & to be fair 15 went from what should have been a make-able birdie putt to a bogey. After that for me all credit goes to Morikawa for his strong finish 4 under through last 5 (he played the last 5 in 7 under for the week).

Rory played the last five holes in 4 over for the week. When all 5 holes played under par for the week & the 2 par fives played 17th & 18th easiest in the tournament; that will really stick in Rory's mind. If he had played those holes at the tournament average he would have been 4 under for the 4 holes (over the four days) so he actually lost 8 shots to the field in those holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone see what happened with the 9 today? Sky only showed the last put.

These are the top #OWGR point earners in 2021!

Note that the Top 4 in that list only started as pros in the last 5 years or so... https://t.co/LbZjkKRC3N

Off year for Rory apparently...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Zalatoris and Homa the only on that list not currently in the worlds top 30.

Simpson and Hatton the only on that list currently in the worlds top 30.

• Advertisement

Good interview on NLU

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement