Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

But its the exact same vaccine , no? Where did you pull this information from, did you read it somewhere?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Recipients of COVID-19 vaccine Janssen should receive an mRNA booster dose after an interval of three months. Oh and must be with the mRNA type, which is our only choice now in Ireland, mRNA vaccines that show real world drops in efficacy, hence Israel and Ireland(both majority Pfizer) are seeing upswings and panic even though both have very high vaccine uptakes. This goes against numerous studies of that vaccine by the makers and independents that were over much longer than three months and against the different variants. So were all those studies that we relied upon a few months ago magically bollocks now? And later in the same documnet they state: While antibody levels can decline over time, VE against hospitalisation and severe diseaseis sustained for at least six months in the general population. Which is it? And they admit: Most of the evidence regarding booster vaccination relates to the use of an mRNA vaccine. There are limited data on the use of adenoviral vector booster vaccines. So on the one hand they have limited data on the adenoviral vaccines and state that vaccination overall wards off hospitalisation for six months at least, on the other hand if you've had a J&J you're in trouble by three? Digging deeper into it they state that the risks of serous illness and death is sustained for at least six months, except in those with underlying conditions, cardiovascular being the biggie, there is some increase in illness/death in the 50-60 age group(but it's still only 1.8 per 100,000 for the vaccinated, ten times higher for the unvaccinated) , but as age goes up risks get higher as we've known for 18 months.

And some wonder why others are having questions about the ever contradictory missives from on high. Yet at the same time we have a "curfew" on a virus which is beyond retarded and we have schools open where the spread is as obvious as an obvious thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just in relation to the question I raised.

A person immune compromised and having had 2 dose Pfizer, called about Booster. Attended the centre for the Booster and told she's getting a Top up as opposed to Booster. I'm in exactly the same position albeit not for 2 weeks and will get Booster at GP surgery. I'm 54 buy immune compromised.

I guess my question was, why even mention its a top up as opposed to a Booster, indeed the staff told my friend they don't mention this on initial contact with Receipients. I just thought it was a very odd approach, I reiterate I'm happy either way but surely adding another layer of confusion, not very helpful.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It possibly makes a difference to the dosing intervals, although I agree the communication isn't great.

I asked you a question. Where did you get this information on top ups... did you make it up because you wanted to sound smart?

• Advertisement

Do you think rudeness is going to force me to do your research for you?

Its the exact same vaccine , yes or no? And top us is just another name for booster. Its the same thing - a third jab.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a little confused alright, but that's been a feature of this pox in many ways. From what I understand it and as Luman explained, a booster is an extra vaccination in someone with a normal immune system where the vaccines loses efficacy over time, or in response to new variants, a top up is for people who are immune compromised where the initial vaccination doesn't get the desired result so they need a "top up" to bring them in line with the rest.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

theres the information and reasoning behind it. It's called an additional dose as the dosing interval is 2 months, where a booster is 5 months. Before people get their knickers in a twist, in all likelihood people who received an additional jab (third shot) would be called back 5 months after it for their booster. Hence the talk of a 4th dose in Israel.

Yes , the point im getting at is that by the very definition of a vaccine these medical substances don't qualify. They are something else entirely , and they are proven to be totally ineffective in stopping transmission , which was the purpose of them all along

• Advertisement

Where did you get this definition of vaccines? Did you make it up because you wanted to sound stupid?

The purpose was to reduce deaths and serious illness. The UK found out early on that an added bonus was they severely reduced transmission. That was with wild and alpha though. All changed with delta though.

In response to your original post:

Yes , the point im getting at is that by the very definition of a vaccine these medical substances don't qualify. They are something else entirely , and they are proven to be totally ineffective in stopping transmission , which was the purpose of them all along

I got a third jab and the text specifically called it an additional dose with a link to the hse to explain it. As I was only 4 months post 2nd dose, I could have ignored it, thinking I was being called too early for a booster.

Personally I just got a call from my GP's surgery on Friday, all that was mentioned was booster in 2 weeks , my original Vacinnes were also done by GP . I was just raising what was told to a close friend , re top up as opposed to booster. Hopefully I've not come across as questioning validity of boosters which I absolutely support and am glad to be receiving 😏

Ah there's definitely confusion around the difference between an additional jab and a booster.

Even Pfizer and Israel were at odds, Israel wanted to call it a booster but Pfizer insisted it be a third jab (this was before the mass booster rollout, was more to protect the ~50% fully vaccinated in ICU who were immune compromised there)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What definition of a vaccine are you referring to?

Covid vaccines were designed to reduce risk of serious illness/death, was it ever claimed they were to provide immunity to infection or prevent transmission? Where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Received a text over the weekend with booster appointment for this week but im only 4 months since my second jab. Anyone know the procedure i don't want to waste my time going if it's going to be no use.

I assume it's the requirement for more than two doses which is unprecedented amongst vaccines. Apart from diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, hib, polio, hep B, pneumococcal disease, men C, and possibly some others I've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

I thought I was five months between, when I checked I was only four months. I'm immunocompromised so that was the reason. It was called an extra dose, not a booster, so unless you have underlying conditions, I think it should be five months. I've seen people say on here they were turned away because it wasn't 5 months since last dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wow, really gone off the deep end here.

What are these "medical substances" you speak of? Are they safe?

What is reducing the R rate in Ireland from about 6 (suspected Delta R0 based on studies) to around 1? Is it that the restrictions are working or is it the vaccines? Or combination of both?

I also have to ask why do you keep asking questions to other people which have simple answers that can be looked up quickly? Are you JAQ'ing or really don't know the answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Hi thanks for that. No underlying conditions maybe i'll leave it for a few weeks and get it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The concern for some is that it's not even a year before a booster is required. Even flu' is an annual vaccine.

All of the ones I listed have a dosing gap of less than 12 months. And we are vaccinating babies, is_that_so. BABIES! Won't someone think of the children!

Then you should have said babies. Tetanus, like some of the others, can be given at any age and it's not a 12 month dose in adults!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nccccc

Because we all got vaccinated for the most part right before a new variant emerged that partially escaped immunity from a country with minimal vaccination.

People keep questioning why we are getting vaccinated again as if this was completely unexpected. The flu mutates annually so we only get a flu vaccine annually. Covid is mutating constantly so long as unvaccinated or partially vaccinated populations continue to be a breeding ground for more dangerous variants. If everyone in the country and the places we travel to/from gets their vaccines and stop the opportunity for mutations then we won't have to keep repeating this cycle of getting boosters. The more people question this as if it's something completely unexpected, the more we will have under/partially vaccinated people continuing the variant cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

If you ring the HSE, you may get more useful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone who has gotten the booster been told how long it takes for you to gain protection that you can rely on?

That's going to happen anyway as COVID stats show younger groups and the healthy are at far less risk. The booster is mainly aimed at those most at risk. 70% will be a good return from it but that will rapidly fall to flu' jab levels if we are looking at Booster 2 next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My friends dad is 77 with underlying conditions and still hasn't been called by GP to get booster. He's nearly 8 months since 2nd jab at this stage. Was saying he should definitely ring the GP. Then saw an article today saying City Hall are open for walk in boosters today until 4pm for over 60's.

Advertisement