Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

install is for the 3rd, just wondering one or two things. The poles leading to our house are on a bounds ditch and are overgrown a bit (our neighbour is a bit old school and if if we went cutting them to keep the line clear he would think it's us interfering with his property)

what we did was the first pole we let the old broadband wire drop to the ground and fed it through one of those hard plastic piping till it got the the second pole and it ran back up it then to our House, I'm wondering if the new fibre wiring could be done the same or is that wiring way bigger and wouldn't work, sorry for the long message, just want as much as I can to be right so on the day it can be installed

Thanks.

Edit: I dont think we have a duct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

National Broadband Ireland can be hit with two types of penalties from February 1 next year if it continues to miss targets governing the rollout of high-speed broadband to more than 550,000 premises.

The multibillion-euro National Broadband Plan (NBP) is lagging far behind initial targets with only about 2,700 of the 554,000 premises in the plan connected to date.

Eamon Ryan, the communications minister, last week said it could be 2023 before National Broadband Ireland (NBI) caught up with the targets which included passing 115,000 homes and businesses by the end of next January. This has since been scaled back to a target of 60,000.

Documents released to the Business Post under freedom of information legislation show that NBI could face two penalty regimes from early next year: one related to delays in building the network and another governing how quickly customers are connected to the network and its performance.

Should NBI continue to miss deadlines governing the rollout, the Department of Communications can delay the payment of related subsidies to the company.

The penalties can be applied where there is a delay in reaching a build milestone of more than 28 days. If levied against NBI, the penalty will increase for each day over the 28-day period that the milestone is not met.

The record provided to the Business Post is partially redacted, including portions detailing the cost per day. A cap will also apply to the penalty but this information is also redacted.

According to the note, NBI can claim a “delay reimbursement” should it meet another milestone ahead of time.

The second type of penalty the department can levy against NBI is described as a “performance credit”. These are intended to make sure NBI adheres to performance metrics on minimum upload and download speeds, the number of faults on the network and the time taken to repair them, pricing and availability.

There are 17 key performance indicators catered for in the contract in total.

“Should NBI’s performance not be in accordance with the requirements contained within the NBP contract, performance points and consequently performance credits shall accrue which will reduce the value of subsidy payments received by NBI,” officials stated in the memo.

“The application of performance credits financially incentivises NBI to operate the network in accordance with the performance requirements of the NBP contract.”

The briefing document on penalties contained in the contract was prepared for Ryan and Ossian Smyth, the department’s junior minister, in August.

Ryan told the Oireachtas Communications Committee last week that NBI had encountered a number of challenges which had delayed its progress including poor access to ducting, problems in obtaining licences from local authorities for works being carried out and delays caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The latter two issues had largely been resolved but the challenge of existing ducting not being “as accessible as originally projected” remained, Ryan said.

The Business Post last week reported that 45,000 homes and businesses in the NBP intervention area had already been passed by Eir’s network, raising concerns about the potential for taxpayers’ money to be wasted by NBI reaching those same premises with its network.

Alternatively, the company and the Department of Communications could choose to strip the premises from the NBP and allow NBI to claim up to €100 million in compensation for encroachment by private operators in the areas earmarked for the plan.

Ryan said his officials had told him that the number of premises already passed was not as high as 45,000 and that the issue was “not undermining” the NBP contract. He was unable to provide the committee with alternative figures.

Speaking in the Dáil last week, Smyth said he had noted the Business Post’s reporting on Eir having passed tens of thousands of premises and described it as “great”.

“That is great as it means these households now have a choice between different suppliers, whether it is the subvented supplier or a commercial supplier. That is an advantage which was foreseen in the contract and accords with what was in the tender and contract,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

He's still talking the 2,700 connections of the overall 554k. A figure NBI has no direct control over, no mention of the over 30k ready to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭EarWig

Prediction: There will be no penalties, just like there were none for EIR.

An interesting metric would be installation rates. i.e, are the likes of KN building a healthy backlog in the DAs that are up and running? Or daily connections,etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

I'll make another prediction. NBI will be bust by the end of 2022 and the lads running it have disappeared back to the US. We'll be back to restarting a tender process in 2023 and most of Rural Ireland will have no decent broadband this side of 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

... and the '5.7Bn' figure has been superseded by the more accurate 'multibillion'

There was an engagement from Meath County Council on the 45k from last week. Make what you will of the response. The last sentence is a head-scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hoping all of those who received installs and are install scheduled keep up the positive stories of their connections as a result NBP so the rest of us get the same service later on. The last thing we need is detractors taking root again. This project is incredibly necessary for this country to continue to succeed into the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

My install is scheduled for 2nd december overhead from a pole with existing copper phone line

It enters at gable end and disappears into attic

I haven't got fibre optic cable in stock ha ha so will I have a problem when the guy turns up?

I'm hearing rumor's that the KN guys wont go into your attic...what do I have to do prior to the 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

The copper was switched off very quickly in rural Co.Down Mourne Mt's.

Another day today,another power disconnect for 8 hrs.No net,or emergency phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not a rumour, they won't enter the attic but they may allow you to run the cable in there yourself.

Based on previous posts here, if you have everything ready for them, gable entry hole drilled etc. they may allow the cable to run through the attic with your assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

KN Circet.

I preordered with Eurona on 25th May, which may have a bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

I pre-ordered the same day, but I don't think my Ribbon (E) is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

tell installer you will go into attic and he will push through the fibre, then you bring it through attic to where you want it. Adviseable to have your route planned and prepped, ie. ducting from ceiling down to wheree you want the ETU put.

Installer shud have no issue with that as long as you prep, my install was the same but i prepped it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Would there be alot of cable, where I would want it set up would be a bit of distance in the attic ( I have no issue doing the attic work and feeding it into the room) do I need ducting from when it enters the attic or is it ok as is?

Post edited by Hococop on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

plenty, the reels are long. in attic you could clip to joists with those cable nail clip things, could do it after he leaves after install completes. use a cable duct from b&q or similar from ceiling down into room and to a double plug socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,514 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Be very careful clipping and tying optic fiber cable. You cannot have tight bends and it is not recommended that clips are tight on it be especially careful if using cable ties that you do not over tighten. Also make sure you do not hit the cable with a hammer when putting in clips.

Any excess has to be coiled in a loop.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

These are a mighty job for securing fibre cables. You drill a hole, tap them in and cable tie the fibre to them. No danger of twatting the fibre with the hammer that way.

At this stage I am so desperate to get decent BB that I'm thinking of slipping the engineer a €20 to encourage him to smooth any wrinkles 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Fritz box arrived this morning. The postman said he had loads of them to deliver so obviously plenty of people in the area getting installations. Also had an elderly neighbor stop by asking for advice. The eir rep is still in the area signing up as many as he can. Probably makes sense for a lot of elderly people who may be in contact for the phone line.

Just got a SMS from Digiweb pushing my install from 2nd December to the 3rd 🙄

Also, which model of Fritzbox are they sending?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I was speaking to one of the NBI engineers this evening and he said they were way behind due to covid. They can't even get basic materials due to supply chain shortages. They were pulled out of our DA for nearly 3 months because they didn't have resources to work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Advertisement