Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austria hits panic button.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Fun fact from Austria, the far right party demanded within 5 minutes

"Stop all asylum seekers at the border to save our police from the unvaccinated"

"No mandatory vaccines"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

How about big posters everywhere:

'You're in my Hospital Bed' with a person making a stern face

Operation Goldilocks and the Three Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

When were you forced to get in a car?

That's kidnapping, you should call the police next time that happens.

If someone infected someone else on purpose then that would be a bad thing to do, as would making someone take the vaccine, not sure what your point is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Should we do that for smokers occupying a bed in the oncologist ward?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was only joking btw.

There should be no stigma of anyone.

The thread is about mandatory vaccination which Austria are bringing in in February 2022.

Great, so you agree nobody should be forced to get one.

That took a while but we can all agree it's wrong now and close the thread if everyone else who had your view has also come to their senses 👍️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How often does the fuel tank have to be topped up?

• Advertisement

You’re so clueless

of course I don’t agree with mandatory vaccination. But I do agree that if someone makes that decision, societal privileges that they get should be curtailed to minimise the covid risk to society.

the choice is still with the individual

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And the situation right now would be much worse if we hadn't had so many people vaccinated. Indeed, vaccination is the main reason we've had six months of relative normality. I don't know about you'd, but to me, the best solution so probably the one that identifies contributing factors to the problem and attempts to address them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

We've established for some time now that vaccinated people spread the virus. Why curtail societal privileges for only the unvaccinated?

At least we're all in agreement that vaccine mandates are wrong despite them being introduced in Austria and in all likelihood Germany and Ireland will likely follow soon after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's like going around in circles.

But I'll put it as simply as it can possibly be put.

The unvaccinated are taking up ~50% of the adult hospital and ICU capacity for dealing with COVID.

This means we can handle ~12 vaccinated cases of COVID to 1 unvaccinated COVID case and have the same pressure on the system.

The COVID cert keeps the unvaccinated away from some high risk (not all) areas to reduce the number of unvaccinated becoming infected and taking up hospital beds.

When the number is 1:1 then COVID certs are no longer needed.

Or when the pandemic is no longer putting such pressure on the health system.

Those are the facts and that is why.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭hometruths

But irrespective of the proportion of vaccinated, surely the reason there are so many people in hospital/ICU is because the virus is spreading like wildfire?

And with 93 odd % of adults vaccinated is it not clear that the vaccine is ineffective at stopping the transmission? 100% vaccinated is not going to stop transmission, and if the ICU capacity cannot cope with the numbers is that OK because everybody is vaccinated? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

There are a couple of different ways to solve the problem of pressure on the health system:

a) get a better health system

b) get a better vaccine

Importantly both will produce better results than piling on the unvaccinated.

And either is infinitely preferable than the thin end of the edge that is covid passports and mandatory vaccines.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They spread it much less than the vaccinated. They also take up a lot fewer hospital and ICU beds on a pro-rata basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There will always be a minority of scroungers who won't do their bit and are happy to sit up on the backs of others' efforts.

All the while trying their best to piss down on them

Society has to call them out on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We apply similar restrictions here already. We don't mandate smokers should give up smoking but we restrict their rights to be indoors with others smoking. But it's easy to distinguish and apply because everyone can see and smell smoke. They are restricted because of the potential harm they can do to others with their secondhand smoke.

But we can't see nor smell covid so the only thing we can do is apply restrictions via the only means we have to identify the risky behaviour, you have proof of vaccination or a test then you're at lesser risk to others.

I tried to make it simple, but essentially 100% vaccinated would let us drop COVID certs and reduce the COVID pressure on the health system by 50%.

Both options you outline are not achievable over Winter months, countries with more capable health systems are going back into restrictions and lockdown our high vax rate has mostly kept Ireland out of it so far.

The virus has an R rate of about 1.1 in Ireland, that is not wildfire, wildfire is the exponential growth that was seen last year without vaccines, now we see linear growth and the vast majority of vaccinated people aren't having severe symptoms when infected, reducing the burden on the health system. Unvaccinated are putting 12x more pressure per person on the system, hence more restrictions on them.

But this is re-treading old ground, the question was why still COVID certs, the answer is because the unvaccinated are taking up way more hospital space per head then vaccinated so we need measures to stop them getting infected.

You can argue that the current measures aren't enough but proportionately the unvaccinated will be more restricted until that 12:1 figure changes to 1:1 (or the health system pressure abates).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You will find that these figures will change very quickly and abruptly as we progress through this wave. There cannot be much of an unvaccinated adult pool left at this stage and the virus will have "gone through" this pool which I feel is nearing now.

What then?

This is what should have happened much earlier in the vaccination programme instead of getting double-whacked with natural Winter surges of illness on top of Covid circulating rampantly across the country, but the apparent wise heads thought otherwise.

Instead of faffing about regarding re-opening, it should have been let rip starting in July/August and have had our 4th wave peak over and done with before the dark days of November. Heck, even the schools could have been brought back a few weeks earlier to encourage spread. England seems to have done this.

• Advertisement

It would be better to have mandatory vaccines.

If making them mandatory is not possible then bundle them in with access to public health care. If you want to be on the eligible list for covid treatment then get your vaccine. Else go and do your own thing and if you catch it, deal with it yourself. No public hospital bed or public ICU bed or access to public doctors. You're either a part of the system or you aren't.

Give us a shout when you invent a time machine to enact this master plan.

When the number changes to 1:1, COVID cert will be pointless, we should have opened in August after our vax rollout was basically done, you're correct (I also said that at the time).

If the numbers go to 1:1 and the health system still can't cope, the restrictions come back.

If the numbers go to 1:1 because there is now much less pressure on the health system, we reopen and pandemic is basically over.

The other variables are boosters, top ups (for immuno compromised), viral pills and future vaccines that reduce transmission.

I'd say you'd have been doing some fighting for freedom alright.

More likely to be hiding in a basement typing on a message board crying about your right not to take part and sneering at the "sheeple" for making an effort. 🤣 Probably collaborating with the oppressors too.

In your own little Stalin world, would these citizens be allowed claim their taxes back from a system that no longer honours their payments in?

Dole effectively isn't really taxed for most people my friend.

They'd be still availing of plenty of other services. Just not covid healthcare given that they have decided to opt out of it

Don't need a time machine - it should be obvious that eventually the vast majority unvaccinated will have succumbed to the virus and either beat it or sadly not.

You say that "If the numbers go to 1:1 and the health system still can't cope, the restrictions come back" - If that happens, then there is alot of egg on alot of faces. And what then? Who will be left standing to get the blame? Considering the level of abuse thrown at the unvaccinated there will be a big void left to fill...

Irish people don't have basements.

Could you be any more of a breakfast-roll and Sun clod, you're even synthesising your dislike of welfare recipients and people who decline to take a pharmaceutical product. Great connect-the-dots there.

Doctors and nurses have commitments to humane medicine, they aren't going to refuse medical treatment to people because some randomer hang em and flog em merchant says so.

Well if ICUs get clogged or resources need to be rationed and decisions need to be made on who gets access to them, then the first filter should be whether the person bothered to get a vaccine. ICU fills up - well keep the machines for those more likely to pull through i.e. those vaccinated. Unplug the unvaccinated and wheel them out to the fresh air in the carpark and come back later on to see which ones make it and which don't.

If they didn't care enough about what would happen to then to bother getting a vaccine when it was offered to them, why should anyone else care

We are redefining human beings themselves as a biological hazard based on a hypothetical risk. That is ethically fraught hence why we've been assured the certs are temporary and many people will never accept them.

• Advertisement

You seem to be of the opinion that this whole thing is about being right and saving face, it's not, it's a dynamically changing pandemic against a relatively non-lethal virus that puts huge pressure on health systems.

If the health systems still can't cope then it's likely that herd immunity is impossible as well as immunity will be waning faster than people become infected again, barring better medicines and vaccines (or more frequent vaccines), that would cause a massive change in society.

I don't think it will come to that, but boy, there will be egg on my face if it does and you'll be laughing about it from our newly restricted society (??!?) that's the important thing here.

Ah, so in your view only those who are unvaccinated are folks on the dole. That's quite the alternative reality you've created for yourself there.

I certainly won't be laughing, but I will say I told you so.

My meagre pursuit in commenting on here is to contribute where I feel the previous and current national policies are hopeless. As I mentioned earlier, I was a keen supporter of MHQ until the vaccines (a.k.a. preventative therapy) were deployed.

I totally disagree with you when you say this whole thing is not about saving face. Every action this government and NEPHET has taken has been to save face.

As posted a few posts earlier, I'd be confident there is a fair overlap there. You can feel free to prove me wrong. Given you guys like to demand absolute proof that there are unvaccinated people in a given ICU bed at a particular point in time etc. etc. , sure I'll turn it around and ask you to prove that there isn't a strong overlap between dole scroungers and anti-vaxx scroungers.

Funny how you think all people who choose not to get the vaccine are anti vaxxers. You still haven't told me if you got the annual flu vaccine every year for the last 20 years.

But I guess answering this would make you a hypocrite maybe?

Ah, another conspiracy theorist who thinks covid is just another flu.

And yes, those against vaccines are anti-vaxxers. I'll give you a hint - the clue is in the name.

If someone wants to be a scrounger and not do their bit and take the vaccine, then there isn't a lot that we can currently do except call them out on being a scounger.

• Advertisement

A bit insensitive to downplay the annual flu no? Given how many people die from it every year.

Well I have gotten the flu vaccine every single year it has caused a pandemic and every single year the WHO and HSE and health officials stressed its importance for public health and every single year it caused lockdowns. Especially when it was highly recommended that my age group get it.

I actually even got it in some years that the above recommendations didn't happen.

You get it every year yourself I take it - yeah?

We know that many of the people are Eastern European guest workers.

They left Poland and Romania to earn Irish wages in areas like construction.

The HSE have been stressing the importance of the annual flu jab for years - and you could have easily requested it from your GP or in a pharmacy. But you didn't. So does this make you an anti-vaxxer?

I didn't get the flu vaccine, but I'm not the one throwing accusations at everyone who chooses not to get vaccinated for whatever reason

Well you are just making things up now so I'll leave you to it.

• Advertisement

Hm, turns out you can stump the Trump after all!

What do you want me to argue? I said I got the flu vaccine every time it was recommended that my age group get it and every time there was a public health emergency etc etc and that I also got it a few times when the preceeding wasn't the case.

Mr. Conspiracy theorist then decides to tell me I never got it. What am I supposed to argue with him? Send him a video of myself standing near a compass with its needle spinning to prove to him I got a vaccine in the past?

Jeez, desperation tactics have set in. What years was it recommended for your age group to get it? The HSE have never changed aged-based recommendations for the seasonal vaccine, so I look forward to this answer.

You are the one creating a false equivalence between flu and covid 19. I never said it was recommended for my age group. (Hint covid 19 is).

I did however get the flu jab in the past even though it wasn't recommended.

Do ya think the flu is made up as well maybe? Perhaps the lizard people are behind it to prevent people finding out the world is actually flat?

Great, I appreciate the honesty. So using your own criteria, you are officially an anti-vaxxer.

I don't downplay the seriousness of the seasonal flu, so not sure why you are asking if I think it's made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

The vaccines are better than nothing.

The true problem is that they aren't the magic bullet that was promised/believed.

That letdown, combined with the overwhelming sensation on everyone's mind of "now what?!", have people frothing at the love lips.

There's no vision anymore, or way forward, or end in sight as of now. And the natural reaction, whether stupid or not, is to rail against the stupendously short-sighted restrictions and lockdowns. Touch of cabin fever to it all.

Someone, somewhere, better get these ducks in a row because rioting and general collapse are coming otherwise.

Do you get the flu vaccine Markus?

DT seems to get it whenever recommended but it's usually not critical to get most years (they aim for about 30% coverage), is this trying to equivalence class someone with yourself? (who I'm guessing is an ardent anti-vaxxer?). The question you should ask is "If public health ran a campaign to get it and made it free to access, would you get it?" and the answer from DT would probably be yes, what is your answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It gives a great indicator as to who you are trying to engage.

I got it this year for example as they were recommending it for everyone. Although I had to pay for it. It is available for free to certain categories. I wouldn't have gotten it every yer for the last 20 years which appeared to have some significance. I lived for a good part of those 20 years abroad and my employer used to have a day where they would provide it for free. Nothing to do with HSE unfortunately as it was abroad. I never checked whether it gave me superpowers or tracking devices or turned me into Magneto

Nope. I never made a conscious decision not to get it. Nor would I recommend anyone else not to get it. Nor would I try to dissuade others from getting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement