Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone gigabit broadband and UDM Pro setup help!

Options
  • 20-11-2021 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I had VF gigabit broadband installed yesterday and I already have the Ubiquiti UDM Pro running off the VM modem in bridge mode.

Would anyone have a guide on how best to get the VF Gigabit hardware and the UDM Pro working together?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I have UDMP and SIRO(Airwire) and just directly connect the the UDMP to the ONT and removed the provided router completely. Just need to setup IPv4 connection as PPPOE connection with username and pw.... and VLAN ID 10. I believe its the same for VF? If you go this route I would suggest the Early Access UDMP firmware to improve speeds. UDMP has some issues with PPPOE on the stable firmware. I have found the EA firmware to be completely stable for me BTW.

I have never actually had a router in front of the UDMP but from what I have read it should be fairly straight forward. Just set up DMZ zone or modem only mode? It will be double NAT but shouldnt be too much of a problem. But maybe someone else has more experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I have had the Edgerouter 4 working with Vodafone FTTH for the last 6 months. Directly connected to the ONT 10gb port. PPP0E, user and pass, plus VLAN 10 as @tazzzZ mentioned above. No issues, 940mb down, 96mb up. UDMP SE arriving tomorrow and will advise if any issues with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

If anyone else needs to set this up the steps are:

1. Get your PPPoE username and password from Vodafone. If they text it to you remove the "+" symbol from the start of the username.
    2. Connect the ONT directly to the UDM Pro WAN port.
    3. In the UDM Pro, login to Network, select Settings -> Internet -> WAN
    4. Expand "Advanced", enable "VLAN ID" and enter the number "10" as the ID.
    5. Under "IPv4 Connection" select "PPPoE" and enter the username and password from Vodafone.
    6. Select "Apply Changes"

That's it!

Afaik the UDMP se has the same pppoe speed issues as the standard UDMP but I believe it also has the EA firmware to improve it's performance. I can get ~900mbps with lvl 5 IPS active where I used to max out at 600.

I have connected the 10Gb port from the ONT to an RJ45 SFP+ port (Wan 2 port 10) and the UDMP SE is showing the connection is connected at 10000FDX.

Fast.com is showing a download speed of 1.3Gbps. I realise that is a bit over reported.

• Advertisement

Very good result there. Nice little overprovision. You must have a newer ONT I only have a 1Gb port. Fast isnt great for me ~700 where I get 900 on speedtest.net. But thats far better than it had been.

I am in an urban area so it's a Huawei EchoLife HN8250Ts XGS-PON. One 10gb port and 4 1Gb ports. Hopefully future proof up to 10Gb when they open it up on the VF end.

I have the VF router plugged into one of the 1Gb ports on the ONT to use the TV and Telephone bits. Quite nice to run the two side by side as I failed getting the TV to work using the UDMP SE.

just searched that and its defo not what I have. That would be very nice. I must get onto airwire and see if they can do anything to upgrade mine. thats a very nice option to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 maxymo

For the people who say connected the ONT port directly to Udm Pro, is the ONT the actual fiber cable that is connected to the NBI white box or do the ethernet cable from the NBI white box directly to UDM?

Thanks, I am trying alternatives to my actual setup, because using the Vodafone gigabox in bridge mode between NBI box and Udm, I am losing packets every minute and it's a big issue when videoconferencing.

I worked around the issue for now disabling bridge mode and using DMZ but I can get rid off of VF gigabox that would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I also have a udm Pro and have been researching this in advance of getting NBI connected. As far as I understand the ONT has an ethernet port on it. Connect this to the UDM pro wan port and follow the instruction on post 4 in this thread. Maybe someone could also pipe in here and give the Vodafone PPPOE user and password details to save you having to call vodafone or search google.

• Advertisement

I have followed the steps on this post in my UDM Pro and it worked as charm connecting directly to the ONT port of NBI box, I have two add one discovery though, although in other posts and Vodafone site I have see that the PPPOE login details as username: vodafone@vodafone.ie password: broadband this didn't work to me, I tried with [phone number]@vodafone.ie password: broadband and it just worked, replace [phone number] with the landline number they assigned to you if you got one, I saw it when I log in in Vodafone under "Select Subscription" drowdown e.g. 01XXXXXXX for Dublin.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Here is my Internet settings for my UDM Pro on a Vodafone NBI connection. I have the ethernet port directly connected from the ONT to the WAN on the UDMP. Its been working a charm for the last 6 months and no issues, apart maybe I cant get Vodafone TV from working..... But I don't know if that is an NBI issue and licensing (Eir TV does not or didn't work on NBI for some reason)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

thanks for posting that, curious, I am now wondering if the username is kind of ignored by Vodafone, it might be that I didn't wait long enough when I tried with vodafone@vodafone.ie but the true is that it is working at the moment with [phonenumber]@vodafone.ie it might help someone else trying with UDM Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Anything@vodafone.ie works, shouldn’t really matter too much. I’ve always used vodafone@vodafone.ie and it worked every time.

Advertisement