Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The recent Facebook outage had nothing to do with hackers or scammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I got calls from people that said they were working from the revenue. Told them to take a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

0813751355 one such number

I love scambaiting. It's been a hobby of mine since 2010 when the Microsoft scans first started on landlines. My father got scammed by one. My mother also got scammed by the "emergency abroad" when my brother left himself logged into his email in a net café in Barcelona. They lost about 3 grand between the two scams. I told them so. I warned them so many times but they told me they weren't stupid, so when it happened I said to their faces "I told you so".

I am wearing my Kitboga hoodie right now! Scambaiting is my favourite thing to watch online and I get so excited when they call me and I have the time to play with them. I'm not great at it yet though. I have only managed to get 15 minutes out if them. I need to be more hysterical about this terrible situation.

By the way, if you do want to play with them, drop in the word "bhenchod". Pronounced "ban chode". It means sister fxxker. It's a really nasty word to use in Hindi. 99% of the scam calls come from India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Just got another scam call to add to the list:

https://slick.ly/ie/012678705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not got a scam call in a month, have the telecoms companies shut them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I got one last weekend. Something about my tax. They still can't tell me my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Balls, thought it was all gone. I was getting hit almost daily on 2 different numbers.

Nothing for weeks or months now. I thought it was them calling off a private number earlier, but it was a legit call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

It was quiet for a number of weeks but I've been getting a few over the past 2-3 weeks and as a result I've enabled 'silence unknown callers' on my phone as a result - if it's important they'll either leave a message or call back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hoping for an increase. Enjoyed the few people I spoke to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I was getting lots of fake DHL emails but the link was patently false. All those scam calls with the recorded voice were from fake Irish numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Got 1 from New York there, hung up after 2 rings.

Two today with a Moldova prefix. Not answered and blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Yep .. when you called that chap a 'ban chode' - that did it. They probly downed tools immediately and decided track you down. Very likely a gang of em headin your way with machetes, sulfuric acid etc as we speak.

I mean they got your number ..

Forget the phone, i'd be padlocking doors and windows

Keep us posted

Contrary to popular belief, they do not actually have my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Nevertheless, best safe than sorry. Who knows what these guys are capable of !

They are wicked on keyboard

Meanwhiles a few safeguards

1. Turn off Location phone / tablet etc

2. Don't order Indian food for delivery

3. Take a different route to work

4. Change gym

I for one welcome my Indian call centre stalkers with open arms. Terrible bang of xenophobia off your conspiratorial ramblings! They're a sound bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Youre right .. im being overly cautious

My bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Got my first one for ages just now. Spoofing a Dublin landline number about my "Amazon Prime account" which I don't even have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

According to my 2 calls today I am committing tax fraud and police have a warrant out for my arrest unless I call them back 😂😂😂😂

I could do with the break 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Has anyone received a call from a mobile phone provider?

They rang me about a new offer they had. Similar to the pre pay all you can eat but bill pay instead. They knew my name and address, so it seemed legit. It sounded good in that you'll never get cut off and I couldn't disagree with how good the offer seemed, so they wanted to sign me up right there and then. I'm wary of someone ringing me looking for card/bank details, so told them no which is completely understandable and I told them that I will sign up online and then I was told that I will lose the offer by not signing up there and then. Ah well, not handing over my card details.

My wife was getting calls like that a few years ago. We have our internet with Vodafone and her phone was with them on prepay so they kept calling her to encourage her to convert her phone to billpay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

haha reminds me of the southpark episode, how was the customer service !! I keep getting 085 ones it's so annoying i just block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup

Banchode

Teramakachu

mother chode

(thanks Kitboga)

Bokachoda is another one I came across. I got a PC in for repair years ago where the user had let these scammers on. When she refused to pay, they locked her out by putting a batch script in the startup folder to log her off every time she tried to log back on. The file was called "bokachoda.bat".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Myself and my wife keep getting +44 (UK) numbers calling us each day for the past few weeks. It changes each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Same, theyre calling my office number but at silly times, 7am, when the phone is off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The tip is to never give your bank details to anyone on the phone, I never get scam phone calls, I'm not on face book, there's places in India all they do is phone people saying there's something wrong with your pc or here's a new special offer on this item. there's people on YouTube who post videos about catching scammers I'd be very wary of a caller with a foreign accent

Advertisement