Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Because it's not a good look for Brexit when NI thrives as the only part of the UK to effectively not Brexit whilst the rest of the place sinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Quite - however even when it did pop in to existence it applied to certain devolved matters only and if we are going to talk about things it doesn't apply to, then I don't see a particular reason to start with things that it doesn't apply to after it exists only.

To add: there is no chance that the EU will agree to having a unionist veto to the NIP. The UK already proposed & failed to introduce this back in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

That would be interesting. Then any solution would require a majority of both sides. Since that will never happen it would mean the UK stays as an EU rule taker and unable to enact new trade deals indefinitely until they eventually overrule NI. Obviously they won't actually do that but it seems likely they will threaten it. It is one of those things that sounds good if people don't look into it like the A16 threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

the existence of NI doesn't require cross community consent

Isn't that the point the other poster was making; the existence of NI doesn't have cross community consent yet it exists, so could the NIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe they should ask for cross community consent with the stipulation that things don't change till both sides agree.

Give Boris his first real lesson in NI politics 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Because they know that people will vote to keep it, and with the protocol, the NI economy will be lifted, and outperform much of the UK.

Currently they are one of the poorest regions of the UK - if not the poorest - the protocol is changing that.

It would be an example of a part of the UK doing well by retaining EU rights and priviliges, while the rest of the UK is in the doldrums. Who can they blame for that?

"Who can they blame for that?"

Woke trans communists.

Or Labour will be in at that stage so will just blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good article here from the BBC directly linking the so called migrant "crisis" with Brexit.

An incredible statistic in it that the UK may well have net 'migration' at the moment i.e. more people leaving the country than arriving.......something you'd normally expect to see in a nation in deep recession. The Brexit brigade and their supporters really know how to mess a country up.

That's what the Brexit people want. Sadly they don't understand that the influx of young workers were a net benefit so they will see this as a win

The UK is a first world country with a population of 65m. For it to have net 'migration' at the moment is little short of disastrous, with long term implications. It's debatable whether it could have sustained itself for the last 50 years at least without net immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

You could be blue in the face arguing with the likes of Nigel farage that they were better off co-operating with the French on immigration but you might as well be talking to the wall. It sounds so much better to them to be not co-operating with the French. Sums up brexit

I agree. I spent ages over there trying to explain the importance of the pensioner to taxpayer ratio. They have no interest in understanding this because "immigants bad"

Let them find out the hard way, that's all I can say. They are in for an "interesting" time : immigration has collapsed, but they have a government, Brexit press and Tory voting public who have decided that immigration is a very bad thing that needs to be stamped out. What could possibly go wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You have to bear in mind that, thanks to the near monopoly of press barons here, immigration and free movement are seen in exclusively negative terms by vast swathes of the population. As the UK has become more and more lopsided and unequal economically, immigration has enabled successive governments to kick the can down the road. It doesn't matter if today's 20 & 30 year olds are priced out of owning a property or raising a family since there are plenty of Eastern Europeans coming over who are already adults so they impose no such costs. You put them to work on the various minimum wage jobs in retail, care and hospitality while those with degrees aim for and get better paid jobs. 

The problem is that this is only a stopgap. Immigrants age and require pensions and care as much as native Brits but nobody seems to be bothered about this. The fact that Brits had the unfettered rights to live and work in 27 European countries has not even been commented upon. Yet again, we see the old and the wealthy sacrifice the prospects of the next generation for their own cultural peccadilloes. 

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The general attitude seems to be "F* economists, what would they know anyway?". Decisions and attitudes on immigration being made for purely political reasons - they don't like foreigners and think they are a burden on the country. Goodness knows where this will lead the economy and if it can even recover from such moves (if immigrants are that unwanted or unwelcome right now, it will be hard to convince them in future that there has been any real change in English public opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

“It doesn't matter if today's 20 & 30 year olds are priced out of owning a property or raising a family since there are plenty of Eastern Europeans coming over who are already adults so they impose no such costs. You put them to work on the various minimum wage jobs in retail, care and hospitality while those with degrees aim for and get better paid jobs.”

Pre-Covid, sure. Post-Covid, coinciding with post-(actual) Brexit with working visas indexed on earnings, not anymore.

That is why there is, currently, a million vacancies going for the asking with no takers in the UK. And no takers for the government’s sponsored/facilitated visa initiatives for fruit pickers, HGV drivers and so many more.

There’s literally tons of articles and interviews by now, that have been drip-dripping since the beginning of the year and are now getting increasingly frequent, wherein UK employers in the agrifood sector, social care, catering etc. are all consistently giving the same evidence (“they all went, and now they’re not coming back”) and consistently giving the same forecast (“we’ll be folding in 2022 if nothing changes”).

So either the UK government ups minimum wage above £26000 (working visa threshold), or Brit employers up wages to that level without statutory pressure, or market offers contract to the fittest survivors. In all cases, Brit consumers foot the bill or cut their cloth.

Post edited by ambro25 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's not only fruit pickers and HGV drivers who don't want to come. Patel's genius strategy for welcoming the 'brightest and best' has been shambolic to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When the Brightest and the Best can go work practically anywhere, and all you can offer them is world beating inflation, shortages, resentment - and for academics, a disconnect from the funding the rest of Europe can get - they will go anywhere else.

And the resentment part is huge. Are you gonna want to move to the UK knowing that they just shafted all the hard working low paid workers from your country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I more meant the other direction - every single time I've been in GB since 2016 it has slowly become less and less welcoming to any form of outsider.

• Advertisement

Ya there is definitely a lot of that too. When my job over were haemorrhaging staff the unwelcoming atmosphere was probably the main reason given. It was amazing how many English people you dealt with day to day suddenly were brave enough to tell you they never wanted you round at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

We’ve booked our Chunnel crossing w/c 21/12 to spend Xmas with my M-I-L ooop’North. Might drive back with her, yet.

It will be interesting to witness how things have changed ‘on the ground’, given we used to live around there for around 2 decades and haven’t seen the place for about 2 years now, between Covid and travel restrictions. Also interesting to see how things go with the dog (now on a FR pet passport (used to be GB), and nothing changed acc.to all info I’ve checked).

I’m a little apprehensive about driving over there with Luxembourg plates on, somehow. Expecting a little more aggro than usual, similar sentiment to L1011’s post.

Still, less apprehensive than going through customs when we come back to the Continent (already told everyone on the UK side minded to gift us anything, to keep and give us the receipts). At least, I’ve had the sense to book the return still this side of 01/01/22!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've one eye on LinkedIn Jobs for jobs on the continent. I work in medical research and while we haven't "haemhorrhaged" staff, there has been something of a very gradual bleed out though the staff numbers are mostly the same. A German group did leave altogether which was pretty grim.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

feels incredibly short sighted that the fast track was built around awards. I'm dont know a lot about science research but the impression I get is when you are at the point that you are winning awards for your work you're well established with a university or other entity. I feel such fast track quotas might have been better served giving them to the British universities with the idea of encouraging talent from leaving with the high potential of becoming future award winners.

But that lacks the same wow now success media buzz that this government thrives on.

The UK is, or was a highly desirable place for migrants because of its language, wealth, great opportunities and excellent universities. The problem is that some of this is down to attracting talent from Europe and beyond. The government assumed that this would simply continue after the xenophobic campaign that was waged to win the referendum. It clearly hasn't, hence the various labour shortages and companies who have gotten away without investing in worker training and productivity are now seeing these chickens come home to roost. We were promised an Australia-style points system but that failed to take into account the loss of appeal of the UK's status as an elite hub for scientific research and innovation.

I still think the loss of the Intel Superconductor facility due to Brexit is a lot more devastating than people think. The press all but ignored it. This could have been a huge direct and indirect boost for the North of England (which has a good clean manufacturing facility) and would have generated significant numbers of spinoff firms as we see with car manufacturing. The UK had a chance to push itself as a world leader in advanced manufacturing and it's been squandered due to government deceit, disingenuity and incompetence.

I mentioned here yesterday that EU migrant workers have been told that they are unwanted and unwelcome in England and are nothing but a burden on the country. Plus, much of the English population thinks this, not just the Tory regime. The message has gone out all around Europe, loud and clear. How GB can recover from this is anyone's guess - it could take many years for the country to shake off the image of being a xenophobic and hostile place for outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Even if the UK reversed Brexit they'd have to offer a lot of legal security to attract people to build their lives there. I won't be surprised if in the long run EU citizens will end up being granted the same status as Irish citizens in the UK.

Depends on where you look. Migrants doing "low skilled" work in Peterborough probably do feel unwelcome. Migrants doing "high skilled" work in Cambridge probably don't. People in the sciences and similar areas tend to move where the jobs are. People in trades, caring, HGV driving and the like are more likely to stay at home since they won't have the same geographical restrictions as those with more niche skillsets.

I think the UK will become less attractive even for the high skilled people.

One reason is a sense of solidarity, for instance I still have the right to work there but what I saw going on around me to other EU citizens made me sick enough to leave.

The other thing to factor in is that when you are in your lab coat in work you are a highly skilled scientist. But after work when you are down the pub everyone will hear your accent and assume you are just another Polish builder/Italian barman/Romanian cleaner over "taking our jobs". Being skilled doesn't stop the casual racism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Well if they do that they may as well just go ahead and rejoin the Single Market. Their unwillingness to allow freedom of movement was the biggest impediment to them remaining in it. They cut off their nose to spite their face.

Personally, I think that is ultimately where the UK will end up in the long run. Rejoining the EU would be too much of an about face for them so they'll instead join the club of Norway/Iceland/Switzerland in having Single Market access whilst not being EU members.

Advertisement