Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not going to lie, I've been listening to ChristmasFM alot lately, enjoying it while prepping dinner.

2 things struck me while listening to it;

1. I love hearing songs that I INSTANTLY recognise as a "ChristmasFM" Song, I don't hear them on mainstream radio or on any playlist but I love bopping along to them all the same.
    2. Shaking Stevens came on last night and it really is such a Feel Good song it made me wonder how has it never featured in a Christmas Movie, it's the perfect song for a party or end credits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yeah I've been listening in most days I'm WFH myself, love the fact before they go live on FM they play a lot of songs that you wouldn't hear so much when they do go live, there's definitely been a few already I don't remember hearing as much the last couple of years.

If there's ever been a better radio station for lifting your mood I've yet to find it. Its so unique its incredible.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I definitely noticed the increase in “live DJ” segments between songs. Gets me excited for what’s to come.

I had reservations about listening in too early, traditionally waiting until the FM launch, but just like last year I've been drawn in and am glad I was, I've been enjoying it immensely. Looking forward to the full live launch now, it'll be great to have it in the car as well.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Haven't listened at all yet. Combination of too busy also wanting to 'save it' till closer to the time. Once I start will be on the car, Alexa non-stop so don't want to risk peaking too early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was watching an episode of Top of the Pops from November 1991 yesterday on BBC4. It included a performance of Cliff Richard's Christmas song for 1991, called We Should Be Together (Christmas is mentioned frequently in the song). It is more of a romantically themed Christmas song than his previous years' Christmas songs - Mistletoe and Wine and Saviour's Day. Perhaps because it stalled in the UK at Number 10, unlike the other two which got to Number 1, it seems to have been forgotten about. I think I barely heard it before myself. I think it is worth a play on Christmas FM, as it is refreshing after the countless plays of Mistletoe and Wine, in particular, but both of the other two on music channels. We Should be Together is a pleasant little ditty!

Love watching the TOTP 90s as it was my teenage years... though I freely admit it was the one period of my life were Christmas wasn't top of the pops... teenagers eh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I can't find Christmas fm on itunes here and its bloody annoying, I have tried a vpn. I will wait until I am home in December to download it.

Steady flow of DJs now... one even gave out the text number to get people to text in so definitely felt live and not pre-recorded. Ramping up the testing for go live Sunday!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

When i want to listen to Christmas FM during the year I go to ieradio.org and all the Irish radio stations are there.

Just copped my bluetooth speaker has FM Radio built in so I can play Christmas FM through that as well... and bloody loud too!! sweet!! Up until now I only used it for my iPod or phone but the kids were messing with it yesterday & managed to find the radio function.

Can someone remind me what you ask Alexa when you want to play Christmas FM? It keeps going to classic Christmas FM. Having a blank here!!

That's it, knew it was something like that. Ta.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All of these now listed on the Xmas FM website bar the North Tipp one. Portlaoise is a nice addition and will greatly enhance coverage on the M8 also

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Evening folks, long time lurker first time poster!

Been listening online the last week since we've had to go back to working from home and it's made a massive boost for morale, luckily I don't go on many calls in my role so can keep it going uninterrupted.

Thanks Lough for posting the Alexa skill, I had no clue how to get it on the speaker so I was using the phone the whole time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pity they wont be back on fm til Sunday? What with Toy Show on Friday.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah unfortunately one of the downside of the 30 day licence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually don't tune in online, but have been listening a bit over a past week since they have live DJs making it feel more 'real'. 🙂

I'll probably put my tree up mid-week, so will definitely have it on for that! 🎄

• Advertisement

First hearing of FTONY, on now.

A milestone, like the Guinness ad.

Its bizarre how different songs seem to get increased airplay year on year. For example as 'The waitresses' christmas wrapping comes on now I reckon I've heard it a dozen or more times already this year when other years I barely remember hearing it more than once or twice for the whole season. Be interesting to see if the playlists change much when they go live on FM from Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I've been listening in for half an hour or so on my lunch break every day and I regularly hear a song about those who have to work over Christmas. I don't think I have ever heard it before! I just googled it and apparently it's Paul Brady.

The live DJs makes a big difference, it just doesn't feel the same when it's random playlists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I swear Queens "Thank God it's Christmas" exploded about 3 years ago. Before then I heard it a small bit but since then I hear it a lot.

Haven't heard 'feliz navidad' yet. Only been listen a little last couple days however is one song that makes me thinking of Christmas FM.

& here's the waitresses again with Christmas wrapping... think thats going to be the song of christmas 2021 on Christmas FM for me... I seem to hear it more than any other.

Have to say having Garvan on doing the breakfast show this morning was great though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Are there gremlins in the system?! Did Mary Black, Carolina Rua start playing on Christmas FM for anyone else?? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

This happened a few weeks ago on one of the first days with presenters online, Good as Hell by Lizzo started playing and I had to double check I didn't accidentally change something 🤣

• Advertisement

Have had it tuned on the radio in the car for a couple of weeks. The display shows iradio however this morning it showed XMAS FM when flicking through the channels. No music though obviously, soon though!

Advertisement