Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Weak performance tonight. They've really looked a bit jaded the last couple of matches and Bircham will have a job picking up this team to have them ready for the play off.

So does anyone know when the play off will be and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Next Friday in Richmond Park.

In a way having the 4 lads suspended for the match tonight might actually help next week in that they've had a week's break having played non stop over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Disappointing evening but in reality we knew harps weren't going to slip up at home to longford, so nothing unexpected really. It will be a nervy night next Friday against ucd in inchicore, we need a big performance from the team, very concerning the tired look of the team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Team are out on their feet but let's face it we were poor against Derry and shams and absolutely abysmal against Longford and last night. Huge job for bircham in the next week to get them ready for the play off. Make no mistake about it if the Waterford of the last week or two shows up we are getting relegated. If we have close to a full team and the the players aren't as tired then I think we win. Easier said than done but stop our former academy player Colm Whelan and we should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I know I've been harping on about Whelan for ages, but he scored a free kick and had an assist last night. Have to do a job on him to stop UCD.

UCD, as a team full of students, typically get bullied whenever the get promoted to the Premier. A few Waterford lads need a win to keep their livelihoods, so it might boil down to who wants it more. Hopefully it's a dirty night in Inchicore and Waterford get stuck into them.

There was a brief chat here in September about the owner trying to encourage a bit of home support. Some posters were a little overenthusiastic about the level of attendances which were realistic, but the average attendance over the last 5-6 games was around 2,170. That's only a small sample but it'd be very good in comparison to recent years, so hopefully they can maintain it. The owner probably deserves some credit for that too, he seems to have given a lot of tickets to children. I think attendances across the league are up generally also which is great to see.

• Advertisement

Whelan is on top form at the moment and so is Liam Kerrigan. It's going to be a nervy night. Need to find a way of cutting off the supply line into them.

Be interesting to see what way Bircham sends them out. I was impressed with Milambo at wing back last night. He's a bit green defensively but looks exciting going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

If we can peak again on Friday we won't be beaten.. Simple as that.. But we'll have to turn up full stop.. Hopefully the big away support will carry us over the line #BLUES 💙

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

From the highlights it looked like we missed some chances but also St Pats made a mess of there chances too. Tbh it was game over with news filtering from Donegal with Finn Harps in total control

UCD have no fear and had the beatings of us in the cup QF a few months ago with the luck falling on our side. They will be going in with massive momentum. Let's hope we hit form at the right time and win next Friday. The club and City needs Premier division football and as Cork City have shown the first division is a balls of league to get out of. At leasts it's not in Belfield

The whole county, not just the city.. needs a Waterford team in the Premier division.. Massive support for the Blues in the West of the county.. Dungarvan in particular.. Loads travelling to the games week in week out

Absolutely ... the dungarvan bus for Friday night is full already. Talk of a bus going from clonmel area where there are lots of blues fans too. it's brilliant to see too

• Advertisement

Support for the Blues goes beyond the county. Plenty supporters in South Kilkenny too.

Blues have sacked bircham... 3 days before the play off. Even by our standards this is absolutely crazy stuff.

The club that keeps on giving. New owner, same mayhem. What or who is the common denominator?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Junior

What the hell. Absolute shambles.

I thought that this lad Forrest was a decent skin but maybe not the most savvy, and maybe the same could be said about Bircham. This reflects very poorly on both of them.

He may as well hand the keys back now and let someone else run it.

Is Mitchell Cowling still the club Chairman? He doesn't appear to have said anything in public since his appointment.

Disaster and something that would only happen in Waterford

Hard to see us winning on Friday now. Preparations must be rightly fecked now

Haven't seen or heard anything to the contrary so assuming he's still there in the background.

I suppose there's a lot of businesses out there which are run in a sloppy fashion but nobody gets to see the little spats they have and when things go wrong.

Obviously when you run a football club you don't get that kind of anonymity and everything is extremely visible.

Very difficult to have any respect for those running the club when they do business in this fashion.

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldn't assume defeat. While it's obviously far from ideal that they will have a caretaker manager instead of their regular one, it's still a 90 minute match, 11 against 11. The sacking seems to be crazy though. It all seems to have come out of a disagreement in a phone conversation between Forrest and Bircham. There can hardly have been any thought or strategy put into it. It's no way to run any business let alone a football club.

Presumably Geoghegan will assume the role of interim manager for Friday which would probably be another poke in the eye for Bircham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

It depends....

if the core issue was between Bircham and the Players, that the club needed to sort out before the playoff, then we may see an improvement in performance. (Personally don't agree with much of this player power, but whens it's the majority of the squad Vs 1 manager, there is normally only one easy solution, regards of were the blame lies)

On the other hand, if there were no issues between player and manager and they were united in the fight, then it may have a negative impact on performance, as club management took one of the "team" out.

Yep. The amount of stuff that gets brought into the public eye with Waterford FC is beyond normal - it's soap opera stuff the last few years. There's two sides to every story obviously but it's apparent an overhaul is needed behind the scenes. There's a few people in important positions who seem to like revelling in drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

One thing has has bugged me is the bench last Friday night, it was a match that potentially could have kept us up with a win yet we had 2 keepers and 2 outfield players, it was an absolute joke setup.

I know there was loads of suspensions and a few injuries but why in the hell wasn't it filled up with youth players?

3 injuries in the game and we're looking at playing out a crucial game with a keeper as an outfield player, that's absolute pubs league. What actually made Bricham do this baffles me.

I think you've mentioned something there which was bubbling under the surface and which probably led to Bircham's exit one way or another.

It appears that Bircham had a rule that lads had to train on a Thursday if they were to be included in the Friday match squad. Some guys had difficulty in getting released from their ETB development course or other college courses to train. Strangely the Academy saw fit to put a tweet out about that, all very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Yeah I saw something the academy put up hitting back at Bircham I presume.

No matter what his rules, to leave yourself short in the squad like that is very unprofessional, it could have cost them that night.

Rumours about a covid issue down there as well, there must be a mountain of dirty politics involved with this sacking.

Are we better off in the First Division next season esp with the **** show that's after developing

Mental to think little over a month ago things were so positive. The home win over Finn Harps and appearing in cup semi finals with big travelling support.

Never better off in that graveyard division.. No one will be told publicly what happened.. Although I the fans deserve a proper explanation.. Not the piss poor statements we got today .. Whatever the reasons, it was bad business by the club for all this to happen the week of the most important game in over a decade by the Blues in my opinion.. All we can do is travel up in massive numbers again on Friday and cheer on The Blues 💙⚽

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Win on Friday and nobody will care.

Advertisement