Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

What is the reason for the new boiler using more oil, is it bigger or did you have more rads put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

kerosene has a lower btu value to diesel but burns much cleaner so you end up using more. we were well warned beforehand. unfortunately hard to find boilers that will run on diesel anymore.

also I think the insulation we put in 20 odd years ago needed upgrading so we ripped out 2 ceilings to the rafters in the old part of our house and re insulated which obviously helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

I see, I didn't even know there was a boiler that ran on diesel.

I got worried there for a minute as I will have to get a new condensing boiler in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't worry condensing boiler will save you money because they are more efficient.

You can't get the old ones now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

That board is loaded with talent - she's in good company. This country (if it is Irish) obviously can produce gooduns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I was thought for a minute there that Nathan was coming on to make an "announcement".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

PBH as upbeat and cheery as usual, himself and George 'Doomsday' Lee must get on great together!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

"Minister can you reassure us that schools will reopen in January?"

Why does Claire ask questions like this? She knows Norma can't give her an absolute guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I keep asking the same question Loaf, Wilson was at the same game on MI earlier on.

Surely these highly paid presenters should have copped on by now?

See the MI thread………..

Some current affairs presenters seem to have a Paxman-type attack dog in their minds as a model of how do their job. To me it has the opposite effect to that intended, as it drives interviewees to be obfuscatory hyper-careful about their words even when they're being asked a constructive question.

• Advertisement

Correct and right Oaf,at last someone who actually understands this kind of stuff.

All these interviewers seem to want is dates and numbers so they can throw this back in their subjects faces when the targets are not achieved.

This as you correctly point out leads to situations where the subject is hyper-careful around those two answers.

At least the schools reopening question only came up at the end of the interview, so Claire only got to ask it twice. Otherwise she would have put it at least four times in slightly different words.

I remember years ago an Islamic extremist guy was being interviewed on Newsnight or somewhere, and the interview inevitably degenerated into a litany of "Do you condemn x, y, z?" questions. And I was thinking "What's the point of this?" Surely if you're having that guy on at all, you have to accept there will be ambivalence toward some aspects of Jihad and try and steer the interview in a more constructive direction.

For Jaysus sake, do we all want individual intructions mailed to every house .

use your loaf people, common f****ing sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Fully agree. They're all at it now. Donal Fallon is especially bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Did anybody hear Bernard Durkin complaining about how the lotto hasn't been won in ages and they should investigate why. Has he not heard of the gambler's fallacy? He was suggesting something has changed in the running of the draw, maybe electronically, to affect the way you win. I'd roll my eyes if I could figure out how to add that smiley...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

The Weekly "Vote #1 Kate O'Connell - She's a great woman" slot.

I hope RTE will give her constituency rivals similar airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

€9 for an antigen test in pharmacies?

I saw them on sale for €3.99 in Dunnes at the weekend. You can get them for €6.99 in filling stations and those are usually the rip-off merchants. Some pharmacists are profiteering just like they did with single use mask and hand sanitizer at the start of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus, Claire definitely competing with Joe Duffy to be the Grimest, most depressing, misery filled radio Show.

At the same time she's excited about going live to the Garth Brooks news conference 🙄 that's actually more depressing, I can't contain my excitement

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

It's such a waste of good questioning time too. They can never answer accurately, so instead they give a long rambling answer to a different question. Puts the subject on the defensive and gives the listener a bad experience. Should really be Interview Technique 101 to not ask a question the subject could never answer, all just in the hopes of a slip up they can hang them with further down the line.

Far better to lead the subject towards the water, than to force them to drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You can almost hear PBH standing in for her on whatever day it is that the tickets go on sale for his show.

Who is this lady on at the moment? Talking about if customers use third party repair shops for their gear, they may invalidate warranty! This kind of spiel is like the adverts electronics companies in the US ran to scare customers so as to not give their stuff to third party repair shops: The device might be hacked, and might monitor you. Pure warrior she is and nothing much more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EozPi1qmH44

It speaks volumes that the supposed flagship news current affairs program in Ireland has dedicated so much time to this vomit, cringe enducing & nauseating Garth Brooks press conference 😳, its just beyond comprehension. Deeply depressing and troubling with everything else going on in the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Poor Claire can't get an even break.

When she does a serious issue people get depressed and when she does a lighthearted piece they get depressed too.

I’d say there’s some jostling for who is going to be the lead dog in RTE for these fahhkin concerts.

Id say Aiken is festooned with tickets out in Montrose and any dude or dudess with any kind of chutzpah will be looking good for the freebie ticket.

The ‘Access all areas’ will be choked with the neckbeards and the leather elbow patch brigade.

Wont be a even a small whiskey drunk in Monkstown for that week.

They Will have to get Garmin to get them to Croker, or a taxi so they can empty out the ‘Green Room’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Hmmm….. have to think about that one Jippster.

God help us all in the immediate lead up to these events………if the current ‘hype’ coming from Montrose is anything to go by.

The one good thing about Covid is that these ‘has beens’ were kept away from our island and we hadn’t to endure the fokking ads a year before the ‘ eeevints’

I recall the Hype started over on Virgin Media News over a month ago, the excitable Reporter Paul Quinn brought us the exciting 'Breaking News, Live" of the initial application for the Brooks concert, they followed the story for days, its awful stuff to watch. You'd have to wonder was Quinn thinking this shyte was the highlight of his journalistic career.

Then yesterday the sight of Irish Journalists fawning over this deeply unpalatable individual was just appalling, Claire Byrne started the frenzy, followed by a quite extraordinary amount of air time dedicated to this nonsense, Cathriona Perry's almost 15 minute interview on the main evening News was just vomit enducing stuff, not to be outdone by Paul Quinn over on Virgin Media, handing a video call from a clearly troubled fanatical fan, over to Brooks, a bizzare moment, I'm sure even Brooks was squirming.

An extraordinary shameful or should I say shameless day in Irish Journalism, fawning over an utter and clueless idiot who'd probably struggle to actually find Ireland on a Map. Just a truely bizzare and troubling day.

Did I mention, I can't abide Brooks 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

A thousand Garth Brookes or one Christy Moore? I’ll take one Christy Moore.

• Advertisement

The promoter seems to have a vice like grip on Montrose,Dee.

I don’t know anything about Mr.Brooks personality myself, but I’m sure the promoter whispered in his ear that all he

has to do is show up and everyone will be on the pigs back and the ‘eeevent’ will, thanks to ‘Pat’ send a fine fat wedge

into their coffers.

Advertisement