Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working holiday in spain

Options
  • 22-11-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I am a mature student (26) and I am hoping to travel to Spain next summer with my girlfriend who is a teacher. We will both be off for the summer so it is the perfect opportunity to head away for the summer. We were thinking Spain would be ideal as it is relatively close, cheap, sunny etc.

I am hoping to work over there. I think it would be a cool experience and I am open to anything. I am not expecting to earn big money, just enough to pay for food and accommodation expenses. I am thinking of a few things such as teaching English with a TEFL course, working on a summer camp or working in a bar/restaurant (but not a nightclub - I really don't enjoy the party rep culture so best to stay away).

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing something similar and where is the best place to go looking for jobs? Also any other tips or things to know would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

You wont get any teaching work in the Summer so it would be pointless paying for a TEFL course. I never heard anything about Summer Camps whilst I was living in Spain. Bar work is pretty easy to get in Summer, there are resorts/tourist areas all along the coast. The pay is grim and you wont learn any Spanish but it will be a good laugh I'm sure. If you don't speak Spanish its probably pointless going to any of the Cities to look for bar work. Google will give you as much information as anyone can on touristy areas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Teaching English as a foreign language is what every native English speaker comes up with... and the TEFL is not highly regarded.

You are basically going to the magnet for young Europeans at the hight of the holiday season when all the others are doing the same, with no special skills to offer. And you are going to an area were the most likely employers - nightclub etc are the ones you don't want to work for...

I'd say plan for a holiday and if you manage to get some work great. But I would not go there planning to finance it mainly by working.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

Fire a few emails/Facebook messages off to as many spots as you can. Bars/restaurants will be hoping to be busy this summer and there's always a need for English speaking staff.

Try a few places off the beaten track. My username Cabo Roig for instance wouldn't be a very touristy part of the Costas but it still attracts a good few golfers/part time residents and an older age group. There's loads of Irish bars all along the Mediterranean coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Special skills to work in a boozer in Spain for a couple of months? Give it a rest.

He is going to Spain for 3 months, he could get a different job in a bar every day of the week if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Keycamp, Eurocamp, Venue Holidays are holiday companies who sell camping and caravanning holidays all over europe.

They employ holiday reps from April to September. I spent 3 months working as a rep in Northern Spain and loved it.

• Advertisement

Have another go and perhaps you'll realise you are agreeing with me. The OP said he wants to avoid nightclubs etc and I pointed with no special skills, bar work in completion with all others from around Europe was what was on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Cheers for the info guys, always best to know before going over and with our eyes open.

Are there any other countries that might have better employment prospects for the summer? We are not too bothered about where, we just thought Spain as it is nice and sunny 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Look after monkeys in South Africa?

https://globalworkandtravel.com/volunteer-abroad/south-africa/monkey-rehabilitation

Most of central and southern Europe is sunny and warm, to warm in fact, in the Summer. I live on the edge of the Emmenthal (the place where the Swiss cheeses with the holes comes from) we usually have around 30c - 34c in the summer. In fact, many people try to escape to the mountains at the weekend to get away from it. So unless actually want beach access you got most of central and southern Europe to choose from.

You are also an EU citizen so you can work anywhere not just tourist jobs... it's just a matter of showing your Irish passport to the authorities when you register. If you don't have the language skills, I'd say look for jobs like stacking shelves, office cleaning, kitchen work, some factory jobs and so on.

Advertisement