Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have been unable to login to degiro since before noon, either on the webpage or the app.

Scared to try again now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Yeah, Degiro appears to be down. Very frustrating just watching Asana in freefall...and I can't get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That's a lot of BABA! Do you sleep at night? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And I'm buying more. Another 20 shares soon. :)

• Advertisement

Curious why you believe in them so much? Or you don't think there are better opportunities available? The last year hasn't been kind to them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Jack Ma largely still underground. So Baba is damaged goods in my view. It will bounce back but long term I couldn't have confidence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Thinking of getting into it at the first sign of a bounce

They're a mammoth. 250k employees. Used by a lot of Asia. Cloud revenue growing. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

I don't see many other places I'd like to put 40% of my portfolio in. I have about 30% in BRK.B.

From Nov 2014 - December 2015 it declined 50%.

June 2018 - December 2018 it declined 40%.

Everyone is pessimistic when the trend is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You've obviously done more research than the rest of us on them, and I admire your conviction, but don't be blinded by your conviction.

Big companies have gone bankrupt or disappeared in the past. It's not impossible for BABA to never go back there.

I'd never go 40% into one position personally, the risk of one company wiping out 40% versus the potential gain isn't worth it IMO. Not when every stock in the market has been on a tear

• Advertisement

Wealth is preserved via diversification

Wealth is gained by concentration

I'm aware it could go to 0. If it does, it was a risk I was willing to take.

Ouch, no I'll vote with shedite here, theres conviction and there's doubling down on a stock that has been on a horrible downtrend with more downside potential still, while the main indexes are all at ATHs and ready for a 15 or 20% pullback. I'm very heavily exposed to NIO who are in not too much a different area to baba (just more in bed with the ccp so less likely to face the wrath similarly to baba and jack ma), but in any case I'm certainly not going to double down with NIO, and risk catching a falling knife. There are times to be brave and trust your blind conviction, but I really don't think now is the time, I'll happily leave gains on the table with NIO to play it safe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

As you are also invested in BRK, you seem to be forgetting Buffet's 2 rules about investing -

Rule Number One: Never Lose Money. Rule Number Two: Never Forget Rule Number One"

They may be his rules but Buffet also said:

The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient

And Buffet has lost lots of money too. :) Charlie Munger is in big on BABA.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Ok here is some independent analysis done on Baba's results last week -

Diving into different segments of Alibaba's e-commerce empire, the only real profitable segment is "customer management," which is essentially online ad revenue from merchants on Alibaba's platform. That segment only grew 3% in the third quarter. While some would attribute that to difficult yearly comparisons and the Chinese economy, even Alibaba acknowledged competitive pressure played a part, saying the slowdown "resulted from slowing market conditions and more players in the China e-commerce market."

And on the cloud business -

However, the cloud business is still unprofitable (although slightly profitable on an EBITA basis) and only makes up 10% of revenue, so success requires some faith Alibaba will turn this into a larger and profitable second main business. Additionally, that growth rate is still below all of the major U.S.-based cloud companies, even though they are all larger than Alibaba's cloud today.

All those other companies have PE ratios multiples of BABA. Most suppression of the stock price has been politics which will cool off eventually.

There's a lot of fear over China stocks. I get it, I'm just not of the opinion it's going to change the course of the future.

I could be wrong

The "I could be wrong" is the bottom line here, trust me our egos won't matter the fook if we are right and you are wrong, but your pocket absolutely will. I don't like to spread FUD but I think its vital to have your trading ground rules and chasing losses with the serious potential of catching a falling knife are almost always driven by emotions rather than rational facts.

We'll see. It's money I can afford to lose. I obviously don't want to lose it.

People have a fear of China and love the US markets. "you can't trust the figures from China" they'll say while Nikola exists.

As I said, everyone is euphoric when the trend is up and pessimistic when trend is down. I remember in August/September 2019 being in these threads and the S&P was down 6% and people were fearing the market saying they were moving to cash!

If there was 0 risk everyone would be taking out loans and putting it in the market today.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭al87987

I'm getting battered today and yesterday.

Anybody buying these dips yet?

Does hurt to see my overall profit go from 4k to 500 in about a week though. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Growth stocks getting pummelled...picked up some Upwork and Alteryx, both looking cheap compared to others...hope i won't regret.

compared to last year my portfolio is much diversified , still heavy on Green stocks would like to get rid of some of them.

Thanks for the reply. That's a lot in BRK as well! It's only up 40-50% since end of Dec 2018 though, it would have been prudent to get rid back then. Even the S&P500 is up close to 100% since then.

I don't disagree with your idea of building wealth by having higher concentration is fewer projects, I follow a somewhat similar conviction with my positions. Although BABA and Berkshire would be pretty far down my list, so it's interesting to hear other opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Especially when it comes to Chinese companies... See TIGR for ref. (ouch).

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'm getting a little tempted. Some of the stars of yesteryear in my watchlist seem to keep plummeting; Fulgent, Upstart, Lemonade, StoneCo etc. My current portfolio is in disarray the last few days so I might hold off a while longer, in case it's throwing good money after bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Your probably right, it will probably recover but your getting a lot of red flags from China...from Jack Ma "disappearing", possible covid cover up, tennis player disappearing. They are just a couple of recent events that spring to mind. Bottom line (imo) China don't and won't give a f**k about the average investor they are a communist country and they'll do whatever to preserve that, even if that means pulling apart a giant like Baba. Again, its likely Baba will recover and be higher in a year or twos time. But there are many stocks that will also be significantly higher in two years time that would allow me to sleep easy at night, AMZN, GOOG and PYPL for example. Like others I wouldn't have one stock be 40%, even 10% would be the limit for me.

My question to you is...Would anything make you sell this stock?

I'd be reluctant to sell many stocks but there's always a line somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Added to PYPL.

Plan on adding to GAN in coming days / week (Just waiting for dust to settle after (hopefully) insiders stop selling).

I have my doubts over whether the other large companies can sustain the stock growth rate.

Microsoft (which I hold a small position) is up 86% from it's pre pandemic price.

Would something make me sell BABA? Probably. If there was a breakup of the company, mass layoffs and the general market in China were reaching ATH while BABA continued to rot.

In the last year many Chinese companies had big corrections. Below are some of the biggest China companies by market cap. Most of them haven't recovered and the only ones that are in the green are in the green big because of green energy (batteries and EVs)

• Tencent -42%
    • Kweichow Moutai -40%
    • ICBC -19%
    • Meituan -57%
    • China Merchants Bank -21%
    • China Construction Bank -25%
    • Agri Bank of China -15%
    • JD -42%
    • Even BYD, who are up 50% YTD had a 48% drop this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Munger has 20% of the Daily Journal Corp Fund in BABA. Thats's $ 44.7million. He manages the fund. His stake in the fund is about 3.6%.

His net worth overall is about 12.3 billion overall, according to Forbes. So it's not clear how much he owns personally.

DATAROMA Superinvestors Portfolio Holdings

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I use to be a big China bull, but the more I read about them the less convinced I am. My biggest problem is with Xi Jingping, the leader. His approach the last 20yrs, a China who embraced capitalism absolutely was good for China, and hopefully will be continue pushing China for the next 5 or 10yrs, but what's really soured me is the way hes abolished presidential terms. Dictatorships who hang on beyond their welcome always tend to become very erratic in their control, especially as they age. Chinas growth rates have been exceptional the last few yrs, but mostly from the shear scale, their population is aging particularly fast due to the 1 child policies of the 90s, and a Japanese style deflationary event could well hit them hard at some stage next 10yrs, mix that up with an erratic aging dictator who won't leave, and all bets are off for China. I'm still happy with the likes of my NIO, NIU, Bilibili etc, but won't be adding to any of them moving forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Did we ever get whoever first suggested 4D Pharma in here?

I'm only half-joking but holding this share is misery.

Advertisement