Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Driver was unwell and was taken to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Very true. I travel on that particular stretch twice a day and I have to admit I saw plenty of much more dangerous maneuvres than aforemetioned one throughout the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Who is at fault here? (Not my video)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tractor clearly drifted into the on coming lane of traffic. Clear as day really that he's at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Kingscourt?

Tractor Veers over the line, their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The car was a bit all over the place, crossing the white line for no reason and about to again when he hit the tractor which looked like he had no choice but to be on the white line but quality isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

While I personally would have given the tractor more space, the edge of the car is 4 to 6 inches away from the white line while the tractor is a good 4 inches over the line and the trailer seems to be even wider. It's hard to see how much space the tractor had on his left but I note the second tractor is fully within their lane. Regardless of how much space he had, if the tractor is too wide for the road he's driving on it's still his responsibility to take account of that and not barge up the road thinking people will get out of his way.

The driving over the white line seems to be endemic now regardless of what people are driving. If it were up to me anyone caught going around a bend on or over the white line would lose their license. There's no excuse for it.

The car driver should have moved more to the left, there was at least 30cm to the kerb, as for the tractor, there seems to be no clearance the other side , so it couldn't move any further to its left.

It looks like the road narrows a bit at the crash site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Longer version. Shows both doors and rear O/S wing torn off. Hopefully everyone that may have been in the Toyota are ok.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've been told in the past that being a bit over the white line is less important than the fact that both vehicles were moving at the time.

In which case each fixes their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm inclined to agree with this. Tractor driver seems to be as far to his left as possible. Car driver clearly wasn't.

Also, car driver had this much clearance to the white line at 0:44 in the video, just before the crash occurred:

But by 0:47, he/she had drifted right out to the line:

So, just as I'd be thinking myself "wide load approaching, better slow down and keep in to the left", car driver here instead veers towards the wide object.

Don't know what way liability would fall when insurance companies or a court come to decide things, but car driver could definitely have done more to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'd hazard a guess the car driver was on the phone, judging by the driving up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Car driver is an idiot, but I think liability would go against the tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Without the dashcam footage, they've no way of knowing on what side of the road the collision took place.

It's tractor's word against Avensis' word.

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Is that trees or something on the tractor's left? The owner of that property needs a stern talking to as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

One from last weekend. Slow pull out onto main road, it happens. What you should do then is get up to speed and not what this lad did. Very glad I had new tyres on the front! Some language 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

F'ing hell, I'd report that, crazy dangerous, either some sort of insurance scam or driver shouldn't be on the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Insurance scam. He braked as the dash cam car was close. Of course the dash cam footage would be his/her undoing.

• Advertisement

I reckon I'd be reporting that one all right. Highly, highly dangerous, particularly with the oncoming car. If somebody's instinct had been to swerve around him instead of stopping so abruptly, could have been a head-on collision with serious or even fatal consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

Although I agree with you, report what offence ? The Gardai hands are tied on this as there is no crime. Can you report to insurance ombudsman or is that possible ? If that registration pops up again soon and some other poor soul gets caught by these guys, maybe, although I doubt it, it could be used against them as premeditated.

I believe that the insurance industry has a "report line" for people to call/email if they suspect insurance fraud, could be worth finding that and sending the video in.

It could also simply be some old duffer who panicked and hit the brake instead of the accelerator when they realized what they had done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dunno, looks like he started pulling out as soon as the car became visible to him

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think he braked as a bad choice, thought the car he pulled out in front of would go around him, he clearly saw the car coming, and was like ****, and braked. Stupid thing to do.

What offence? Take your pick of any of Sections 51(a), 52 and 53 of Road Traffic Act (driving without reasonable consideration/careless driving/dangerous driving).

At the very least, pulling out slowly in front of somebody and then stopping dead in front of them isn't exactly being very considerate.

And there's surely enough there to warrant the Gardaí having a word with the driver anyway, even if he/she doesn't end up being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭boardz

She seemed totally bewildered

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

The driver was I'd guess in his late teens early twenties at most, N plate also displayed. My first thought afterwards was that there was someone else in the car (parent maybe?) who pulled the handbrake after he made the mistake. I could be very wrong on that. As I passed by I looked in and saw his face, seemed pretty shocked himself. Was only a fleeting look so I couldn't tell if there was anyone in the passenger seat.

You can see the back tyres locked up when he was stopping, notably the back left you can see the tyre smoke and hear the screech before I slammed on myself fully. I was slowing already when I saw him coming out, definitely didn't expect him to throw out the anchor. Lesson learned for me there.

Yeah, young inexperienced driver, I missed the N plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

I have the reg, strongly considering reporting this. This guy was on the phone or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWPG6j3dMy4

Advertisement