Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

In Dublin shops that shut in mid-March 2020 had signs up that said 'See you on March 30th'

It was the authorities who initially said that we'd need a two week closure in order to 'flatten the curve'.

At 20 months and being told that massive ICU expansion isn't possible, curve-flattening is clearly quasi-permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

I am not shocked that people are so economically illiterate in Ireland anymore, think money from the state grows on trees yet can't figure out why our taxes keep going up. Everyone assumes cost of the product = the overall total cost to the tax payer. The cost of the vaccine is as MOH increased in price per dose and you need 2 doses. That doubles your cost instantly. Then their is transport cost. Storage/Refrigeration costs. GP costs for administering the vaccine. The cost of the management of the system to administer the doses and track them.

As for your comment "good value" that is absolutely not true.

If you break down the total cost we spent on covid over this period you will see that the cost to save 1 life is magnatiudes higher than we will ever have allocated to any other person for any other illness.

There is a reason why people raise funds and go to America for treatment, and its not because we couldn't do it if we funded it, its because there is a financial cap placed on each and every person. The is literally a cost point a which we can't and shouldn't be expected to save someone.

So my question Charlie is this. If you feel that we got good value for money, do you also then think we should throw the same amount of money at every other illness someone might have?

Or is it only covid you are willing to bankrupt the people for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Haha! I was waiting for that! I'd actually meant to pre-empt it by adding a comment at the end of my post but I got distracted double checking my figures and sources.

I never said anything about the whether vaccines were or weren't value for money, or the cost to the economy without them, or the lives they save, or anything else. You're blathering on about value for money which isn't remotely relevant to the post you've quoted. Personally I think vaccines are well worth every penny spent on them.

But unsurprisingly, you didn't even bother acknowledging your "mistake", you just instantly pivot to a different topic.

All I did was take your deliberately misquoted figure and clearly demonstrate that it was completely incorrect.

Any legitimate poster would have acknowledged the correction or at least addressed it. You, on the other hand, have been repeatedly shown to be a contemptible liar uninterested in facts or reality who deliberately distorts the truth and deflects when called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

COVID has cost every country a lot of money. Vaccines are a small fraction of that which also allows the other COVID spending to drop considerably.

The cost of the vaccines just isn't a thing governments are worried in the slightest bit about, they'd be cheap at quadruple the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm not disputing that it was the government message at the start. It's only here that it's repeated ad infinitum.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't recall any claim that they'd be one (or two) and done for ever. Going on the commentary from the get go, I expected annual "boosters". But no one even labels the annual flu vaccine a "booster", even if that's what it essentially is.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It's not that curious. Being a vicious little bully is generally frowned upon, so people who enjoy those behaviours tend to flock to ideas and idologies that will permit them if not outright laud them.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

come join us , it's fun here .

The recent numbers from ICU and hospitalisation show what a lie the whole scapegoating as been . a mere cover up for incompetence and a scorched earth strategy driven by panic and arse covering. The anti vaccine crowd are not clogging the A&E and the government and their representatives knew this all along.

But then again , the whole "togetherness" vibe has been horsesh1t since the start , a entire campaign of lurching from one scapegoat to the next scrambling to deflect blame from the real source.

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The flu vaccine isn't a "booster" really. A booster exposes you to the same pathogen (or part-pathogen) again in order to re-up the immunity conferred by the first vaccine (or infection). Flu vaccine targets different strains every year. The 2017/18 flu vaccine targeted completely different strains to the 2021/22 vaccine, for example.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I still expected in the medium term the virus to mutate and require further vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's very true, we had 25% of employees on the PUP alone at one stage, that's before you take into account the EWSS and the various grants.

To break that down - €350 per week for a quarter of the workers would be €87.50 per worker (divide by 4), using that figure alone if the vaccines cost €84 per person then that's roughly €3.50 less than having that person for a week on the PUP

I believe the understanding is a new variant would have to

1. Be more transmissible than delta to out compete it
    2. Be less deadly than delta to allow for the host to spread the virus for longer

A more deadly but less contagious variant shouldn't be an issue since it wouldn't take hold or spread fast enough. (thats my understanding of it, open to correction)

By that point any further mutations will be completely endemic and not much harm to the vast majority who have been exposed to levels of immunity/natural recovery.

Like what we saw in Japan. They had high levels of immunity from Sarscov1 years later which might be one of the reasons they barely had any issues. Meanwhile we never had huge Sarcov1 out breaks and as such were much more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No pivoting on anything. One poster was off the opinion we should no longer use them and another poster was questioning their economic value.

Glad we agree that economically they are value for money and worth every penny spent on them, but you should perhaps be more careful on who you accuse of lying. You have already accused me of doing that as to the dates when variants of concern were first known and I have shown where you were incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Thanks for making my point clear in my last post. You do not believe they are value for money.

So my question to you is the same as it was to that poster before he made it clear he believes they are worth every penny. Do the same costings as I had suggested to him and gives us your figure on the financial benefits of not having vaccines as opposed to having them under the same criteria and then we will be in a better position to see if they are or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

From a budgetary perspective, weekly vaccines is probably where the cost/benefit starts to fall away and even then, just slightly (and just so the no-jabbers and loons don't get too excited, weekly vaccines will never happen).

My point is very clear.

The total cost we spent on this and locking down those who's risk of hospitalisation was no greater than a normal flu (ie the young and healthy) could have been put towards protection the actual at risk and allowing for dedicated care to those people. Specifically the huge number of elderly who were killed by introducing sick patients into care homes.

As for the cost of vaccinating everyone. I don't think the cost is beneficial to the effort.

Same with vaccinating children. It makes no sense since they are at such little risk.

Again don't go making this argumentum absurdum and suggest for a moment that I think nothing should have been done.

I think all of the money we spend paying young healthy people to sit at home until they got vaccinated could have been better spent protecting people who were truly at risk.

Not to mention once the vulnerable and elderly were vaccinated we could have a supply of vaccines to give to the developing world who are going to experience much more death and hardship as a result of the financial impacts of our locks than they would have from covid itself.

The slowing of trade and shut downs across the western world will increase child poverty globally according to the WHO.

Millions more children will die as a result of malnutrition.

Again, to make ourselves feel good about saving granny we inadvertently will end up causing children to die.

Its a global economy. 3rd world getting hit hard. It's okay though we have to jab 12 year old James so he can go on his class trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭brickster69

Scotland to allow lateral flow tests instead of vax passports to be allowed for entry to hospitality and large events from December 6th.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Instead of just passports ^

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 38,309 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lockdown 4 will be a disaster and will truly be 'where and what the **** will be the end goal ?'

People's livelihoods at stake because of the HSE not fit for purpose and media don't have the balls to call them out on it

• Advertisement

Meanwhile we think they don't work because they could give a false reading.

Hmm let see. Vaccine pass which doesn't mean you aren't positive or negative...OR an antigen test which could be 75% effective?

TBH my idea would be to have pop up chip van style antigen centres all over major towns and then you pass a 10 minute test and they text you a QR code that allows you to go where you like that day.

1 test, 1 pass, entry for everyone.

Would be much fairer and then it would definitely keep out those who test positive. (if that was your argument for using passes)

It would remove this false idea that you won't catch covid by all being vaccinated indoors.

Slovakia to go into full national lockdown days after just locking down only the unvaxed.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 38,309 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Honestly I don't see our "leaders" not getting panicky and shutting things down again and following suit.

This thread needs to be renamed to "shite we should have opened fully in the summer but our slowly slowly catchy monkey approach isn't working as we go into our annual flu season and can't work out why.... :("

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why on earth are you even comparing here to Slovakia by saying it's inevitable, have you even looked to see their vaccination rate ? 45.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Deep breath now and think about it! We are just not in the same boat as many EU countries, on vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its almost as if locking down the unvaccinated only does nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wait until hynesie08 sees this post🙈😆😆

Advertisement