Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Definitely overpriced at €60. Should be €40 max IMO.

I'm still enjoying it because i haven't played these games in years and played the crap out of them when they originally came out. But I think I'd be disappointed if it was my first ever play through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At least all versions seem to be presenting issues, the question will be how willing and available are Rockstar to patching the games? They obviously need work and its entirely possible with some TLC the Switch version could be pulled into shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rockstar farmed it out to a pretty useless third party by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The reviews seems to say it holds up well in handheld mode (which is the only way I would be playing) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd be willing to bet heavily that this was part of the 2021 financial results, it got delayed, and they said to just push it out, and they'll patch later. These are 17+ year old games. They should run perfectly on the Switch.

I did buy it as my son was dying to play San Andreas, and I wouldn't have minded giving Vice City a go again. Only about an hour in (handheld) and it seems okay, but son is saying SA isn't great. I've requested a refund from Nintendo and may repurchase if they fix it. If they don't grant a refund, then I expect it will be patched next year. This model needs to go away though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Glad I have these games on the OG Xbox so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One of the rematsters is on Game Pass and one of them in on PS Now if you have either of those services and want to see what they look like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a comment in a Digital Foundry breakdown so pinch of salt time, but apparently the optimisation is so bad, the rain drop texture is 2048 pixels wide; for a rain drop. So sounds like they could certainly pull things back with judicious optimisation and digging. I guess it just depends on whether there's a willingness - and to do so on all platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The 'unofficial' ports to the vita weren't as janky as this (I don't think) although maybe people were less fussy because they were free.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'd say the brief was very shallow, the oversight nominal and the budget/deadline narrow. That there was enough time and room to migrate to Unreal, do a quick smoke test the game, missions etc actually ran without exploding, and that was good enough for all concerned. Clearly there was no QA department involved - or again, just weren't given the time or money to review the various platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive had to have sat down and looked at these prior prior to launch and said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

---

Funnily enough, I'm currently playing through Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut. Almost finished it, just at the entrance to Risky's underwater lair. It's a good game, for its time. Could do with some QOL improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The "Everyone is here" free update for Dead Cells is out now. This is very cool. 🙂

Dead Cell's Everyone is Here free update is available now for the roguelike metroidvania action platformer game. Watch the trailer for a look at what to expect with the update which brings weapons, skills, and skins from Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, Hyper Light Drifter, Guacamelee, Skul, and Curse of the Dead Gods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never picked that game up again, after I discovered that being terrible at it meant I didn't enjoy myself.

Must dig out the cart, download the update, and be reminded how sh1t I am at games more complex than Picross

I'm mostly surprised they're STILL releasing new content for it. I played dozens of hours of it on the PC when it was Early Access; it's obviously finished now if it's on Switch but no clue how expansive it is, compared with the version I played.

Oh it's huge. Lots of new biomes, weapons, mechanics.... worth another look.

There are a couple of paid DLC pieces too - worth picking up when they are on sale.

Death's Door hits switch and hits well

€20 for 12 hour or so not over-hard (or too easy - balanced) top-down-2D Zelda-like (e.g. overworld, dungeons, dungeon bosses) in a great setting (without the overly-Saccharine 2D-Zelda Mush tho which is a plus in my book)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Switch is a perfect home for this. It's incredible that a couple of developers produced this game.

• Advertisement

I'm in the second area of Death's Door now. Loving it so far. The reviews are accurate.

Combat is fun, the graphics are lovely and the music is amazing.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim — Announcement Trailer | Nintendo Switch

Sentinel No. 13: Activated.

The critically acclaimed sci-fi epic 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is coming to Nintendo Switch on April 12, 2022!

And seems they're still not yet done with DLC. Man, I really do need to get a copy at the next discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gta switch cart delayed until new year no precise date as of yet I wanted it more so for the collection than to get stuck into so kind of relieved myself at having the cash now to buy something else.

The new free DLC is out for Blasphemous today. New areas, bosses and story (that ties into the sequel).

I really have to give this game a good crack - I never got much further than the 3rd or 4th area.

I think this will be my challenge for Christmas.

Is it a tough game? I can't recall if it's supposed to be Dead Souls esque difficulty, or something more humane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,326 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's not an easy game, but I wouldn't call it incredibly tough, has it's moments but most would get through it if they stuck it out.

Fair enough; the art style is like Binding of Isaac in that it kinda repulses me - but unlike Isaac, is also kinda hauntingly beautiful too.

I see the indie hit, Loop Hero is out on Switch today; this review finally gives me a good idea of what the damn game is about lol

That's a good review. I've heard great things about this game, but I'm finding it hard to look past the art style.

The portraits and battles look OK, but the main screen is ugly AF.

I think it's worth a punt at €13.49 though.

Sonic Frontiers - Announce Trailer

Coming to Switch as well, release date around Christmas 2022.

Cuphead Delicious Last Course DLC Trailer (The Game Awards 2021)

Releases 30th June next year.

• Advertisement

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax — Announcement Trailer | Steam, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch

Release date is St. Patrick's Day.

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - The Game Awards Teaser - Nintendo Switch

And 3 new amiibo are coming.

OK after putting in about 3 hours into this, I take it back. It's a fantastic game. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the only news from Nintendo themselves was that Banjo Kazooie is coming to NSO?

Yeah the general consensus is that Nintendo didn't show up. Disappointing.

Best Action/Adventure Game award was well deserved though.

This is coming out very soon - Dec 15 (next Wed) - Aeterna Noctis 

Looks promising and maybe less Meh-troidvania that some other entries. Seems to have an emphasis on movement and platforming as well as RPG levelling, enemy combat and 20 bosses - bits of Celeste looks like (hopefully not as hard) - A Celesto-vania?

It's cross-platform so hopefully performance won't be an issue on switch as some of the graphical effects look demanding even though it's a 2D game

Although I see that it was developed in Unity which has had good results on the Switch with graphically impressive games (e.g. Ori will of the wisps) so here's hoping

Yeah I've been waiting for this one. Record of Lodoss War is out next week too. It's a good week for Metroidvanias. 🙂

Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon getting great reviews. Out next week. €19.99.

This guy somehow has an early review up - only bettered by hollow knight he says in the genre.

hard game though - 50/60 hours main quest, 100 hours with side quests.

hopefully runs well on switch to start.

It's out on the Japanese eshop already, nearly pulled the trigger but deciding to wait

• Advertisement

Launch trailer for Aeterna Noctis.

Looks great but hard and (connected point) also looks like a game that the shyte-cons would drive you mad with!

That was my thought exactly about the Joy-Cons. Seems like you need pinpoint controls in certain sections. The game looks very interesting.

Just realised, and might be of interest to others themselves on the fence, that Blasphemous has a Demo; yoink!

Nintendo Indie World gig on at 5pm tomorrow Wed 15/12

"The Outer Wilds" could be a good bet for being announced for immediate availability as it's due to be ready by now

I really hope it's Creatures and its sequel.

I expect Hunters Moon will be the first game. That was remastered in the last few years.

I'd love to see Citadel, Delta, Retrograde, Hawkeye, Armalyte.... and the Creatures games. They have a great back catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Creatures remains one of the most difficult games ever.

• Advertisement

Looks like "Aeterna Noctis" for the switch has been delayed

Coming soon to switch in the graphic here

Not a great sign

Will be 30fps vs 60fps on the other platforms one can safely assume

Not a game that would suit all by any means it seems either - the pacing, difficulty and heavy platforming not appealing to some

Advertisement