Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Most of my grail stuff would be pinballs at this stage. New TMNT, Ghostbusters, willy Wonka and a ton of others haha

Aways wanted a MK2 and Crazy Taxi and have both now. Would love a MK3 and Killer instinct to go along with MK2.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

Crazy Taxi might be one too yeah now that it's mentioned here, one I played a lot of years ago.

It's a special one and one from your list, I shall post some photos of it when it lands next week, it's somewhere on the Atlantic ocean at the minute!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here's a question, for the enterprising folk out there, what would it cost me to turn say my SFII Arcade 1up abomination into a dinky Robotron repro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have a board to allow you use the LCD in that cab as a standard VGA monitor and I also have a 19in1 'horizontal' multi board which has Robotron.

I believe the board can be configured to boot directly into that game directly but I haven't really played around with it.

The cab controls might just need some re-wiring maybe? Audio should be straight forward to sort.

Artwork might be the only problem :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good thing I can paint!

• Advertisement

Have any of you visited any cool arcades in recent years? Recently took at trip to the UK, there is a really good scene developing over there with a bunch of new London arcades after popping up in the past year and a half.

FreePlay City

£10 to get in for the day everything on Free play, early days for them but is absolutely brilliant for anyone who's into fighting games and rhythm games, have some decent shooters and drivers there too. It's currently in one big warehouse. Lots of candies and looking to see how they develop.

Gravity Wandsworth

Really neat place in the center of London. It is huge with 3 floors! Looks like they're going for a sorta modern Trocedaro by the sounds of it with bars, Restaurants, bowling, mini golf, go karting and tonnes more. Arcade wise they were all new games, could have a better selection imo with some older stuff/more videos rather than redemption. But the games they do have are really really good. ATV Slam is a deluxe motion game, really competitive and very hardcore, motion on it feels really great. As with House Of The Dead Scarlet Dawn, really super game. Some good pins and other games there too, but as I said sorta felt it was overdone with redemption a little, but hopefully they'll get more and more variety's as lots of empty space there still for more! Really worth a visit though.

Las Vegas Soho

Probably needs no introduction, cool place in the very center of London near Leicester Square. Some good games there, lots of newer dance machines and rhythm games along with some older games too like Grid and Guitar Hero.

Flip Out Croydon

Pinball club in Croydon. There are a lot of pins here, some really rare ones too like Cactus Canyon, Circuits Zoltair and all the classics like Twilight Zone, Simpsons Pinball Party, etc. Newer Stern's too, really cool club.

I checked out Cheif Coffee too, small coffee shop with Japanese Arcade and about 8 pins, mix of newer Stern's and older pins like Cactus Canyon, Monster Bash. Really great spot with some rare Japanese games like Initial D Zero, Chunithm, synchronica and more. Phone died so haven't any decent photos but lots online.

Ones in London I didn't get to see were Vega London, Heart of Gaming in Croydon and one or two others.

Arcade Club Bury

Took a trip up to Manchester too to see Arcade Club, obviously needs no introduction. I should've take more photos of the new games downstairs as they have Scarlet Dawn, Luigi's Mansion, Dancerush, Missing Impossible Super Deluxe and a few more good newer games. Old stuff speaks for itself, really enjoyed Star Wars, Flicky, Outrun Dlx, Rally X, Sega Rally, Beatmania IIDX and loads more. It's really a super arcade and probably the best in Europe.

When things die down a little with COVID I definitely recommend a trip over to London to see all it has to offer, said I'd to a write up as there are some really good arcades there again which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Addams Family Pinball would be on my bucket List. I used to work in an arcade in Corn in the early 90s. The staff mainly played pinball. Man, we kept those tables in tip-top condition. Playfield polished weekly. Any rubbers replaced as soon as they looked a bit worn. Solenoids replaced as soon as they degraded. Had our tables in a corner, dark enough that there was no glare on the glass but bright enough to see. Volume cranked waaaaaaaaay up. We didn't have many tables: Hook which was good. Star Wars which was good but a bit easy to just keep looping. Lethal Weapon which was OK. A few classics like Kiss. But Addams Family was the favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

@dav09 Thanks for the write up, hopefully it gets as busy over here for arcades. Still have to visit you in Limerick.

Addams widely regarded as the GOAT by lots of pinball fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of a better table. The layout was very good. The features (Electromagnets, "Thing" picking up ball, CPU-controlled flippers etc) were cool and well implemented. As you can imaging, it was quite complex to work on, mind you. a LOT of heavy duty electronics under the table. While it would be on my bucket list, you'd definitely notice it on your ESB bill :D

• Advertisement

Cheers, hope you enjoy when you do! And yeah would love for the arcade scene to get good over here again, and by that plenty of arcade without redemption/claw machines everywhere.

I think TZ and TOTAN are better games.

Aways thought medieval madness was a it overrated, always kind of seemed easy to me whenever I got a chance to play one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I only ever played Token’s TAF but the GI is always out on it so difficult to enjoy, but love TOTAN, for me it’s definitely better than TAF. Will have to take a spin into token and see if it’s on the floor.

Lots of great games from that era

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Calibrated my Aero City monitor colours

Before

After

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Very nice! Lovely to see colours popping after a good calibration. I'd say a lot of folks over the years have thought their monitors are on the way out, when their pots just needed a good fiddling with (!)

Bit of an odd one. Someone sent me this asking was the start of it an arcade or game sample.

It sounds super familiar to me but I have no idea if I ever heard it before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

moved to CRT thread

Master of the Universe

Have yet to change the PSU in my Pony, but rather interestingly, I tried booting up my multi game vertical board last night and it ran absolutely perfectly. Must only be my PCBs that are sensitive to whatever's going on with the PSU.

Was great to get a bit of gaming in on it!

In other good news, we've decided to buy a slightly smaller couch for the living room and have sent the bigger one back - might be hanging on to both cabinets after all...

That's what I keep telling you. Furniture is a waste of time.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Always a bit of fear trying to mount something you had custom made with your own measurements - fits perfectly!

Master of the Universe

I have some white buttons coming in the post and will need to get some mounting plates for the sticks, but it seems like it'll be comfortable for SNK games with these buttons in place.

Real test will be when I get a kick harness going and if the palm space is adequate.

I'd go all white, that's just me though

Master of the Universe

I was tempted to give that a go but thought it would make it look a bit too generic and not like an SNK cabinet anymore.

Yeah suppose you're right...it's actually a tricky one haha

You definitely want to keep those SNK colours too. Be like taking the H off a Honda

Master of the Universe

Finally managed to get this panel sorted - stupid me bought the wrong mounting plates! I thought they were LS-56 sticks but completely forgot I threw a pair of LS-32s into it a few years ago.

Got stung on the wrong plates too for tax, so in total I must have spent 40-50 euro getting two mounting plates sorted hah (which are only a fiver each!). Managed to find my old kick harness from the Sega Aero so that's wired up now too - just have to wait for my MiSTercade and MiSTer to arrive now.

A minter of a TMNT cab on adverts

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/arcade-machines/26139733

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chockfonuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

And a right minter of a seller judging by the comments.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Literally melting into the floor :(

Advertisement