Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thanks.

So they have only identified 3284 instances where 2 or more people caught covid in a setting in the last 5 months? So it's just a token of gesture to trace transmissions. I wouldn't take it as any kind of serious indication of where people are, or are not, contracting covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

That's what NPHET will kick and scream for. Question I ask of them is what is going to stop Ireland having exactly the same problem this time next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The only people talking about lockdown are the public and the media.

Every time a politician is asked, they distance themselves and the government from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I wouldn't blame them; they are already getting an earful from everyone.

I took a vaccine to shut up the government and all the nannies so I could go around my business, there's not a chance I am going into another lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

I agree with this. Even Nphet have not said there'll be any lockdown, it really is the media and public looking for it.

• Advertisement

To be fair to the government that's the ideal scenario for them. If something is unpleasant and necessary to avert a crisis, a government would be foolish to do it proactively to avert the crisis. The public don't say 'God, the government was forward looking to avert the crisis'. Instead they say ' the government are such eegits that they did that unpleasant thing AND THERE WAS NO NEED BECAUSETHE CRISIS NEVER EVEN HAPENED!'

So the best thing for government is to wait for the situation to get very bad and the public will ask for the restrictions. That way the government can appear a bit late, but doing the right thing.

If people were rational actors and voted sensible, governments could be far more proactive. Bit in reality we don't vote to reward sensible governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Hopefully. I have two relatives needing MRIs to prove suspected cancer following a CT at the moment, both of whom are waiting more than six weeks for their MRIs in UHL. The consultant and MRI dept have both blamed covid for these delays.

It's not that simple. Schools allow parents to go to work. Closing schools has a huge knock on impact on the economy.

Closing schools would be part of a more serious package of measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

We do know, and so do the powers that be. But theyre not looking there because they dont want to.

The ECDC has deemed schools as high risk environment but not in Ireland apparently, no, again completely different here. How? Why stop testing and tracing of close contacts? Because they know but dont want to look and dont want to admit, hear no evil, see no evil and repeat the mantra "schools not a problem, schools not a problem"

In the first two weeks of November a minimum of 3,726 children have tested positive.

We know where people are catching COVID but dont want to admit.

The approach at the moment is akin to the police refusing to take and investigate any more reports of crime in the country and declaring the country 100% crime free!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And Fakebook and WhatsSh1t too where everyone has a "source in the HSE" - That source is of course unnamed.

Well, I've a source in the HSE (local cleaner in a public nursing home who is employed by the hse) and she says there will be no lockdown.

But because my source is not saying Armageddon will happen and because I say that its a cleaner in a nursing home, no one is taking me seriously. 😒

That is the level of utter stupidity that is out there.

Yeah I agree that they're not doing test and trace in anything beyond a gesture. So someone claiming that people don't catch covid in pubs based on the outbreak figures, is just silly.

Schools won't close. With a positive outlook going forward I predict that there won't be any further restrictions either. I think it probable we will also get out for a pint next month with the office lads.

We simply can't lockdown with a successful vaccine rollout having happened.

I have two kids. Another school closure will impact society more than Covid. Simply not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Easy for you to say.

You obviously work form home with a cushy number.

Some of us simply can't stay at home with kids and work.

Sure what do you care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

and the Fakebook and WhatShit messages by far right agitators target people like you that have a genuine concern and where extra restrictions woudl cause issues.

Schools will not be closed other than the normal 2 week period for Christmas holidays. Retail will not be closed and hospitality will have continuing restrictions, but will not be closed.

Already in the last 4 days there has been a huge change in behaviour with normal decent intelligent people making changes to their behaviour.

But nothing will stop fucwits scaremongering or being anti whatever - they will always permeate in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I had a scan in affidea clinic 2 weeks ago.

honestly wouldnt rely on the hse to provide that anytime. it will be another excuse next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Who's this lad and how do we get him a prime time slot......

Yeah he's dead right. You see it on this thread too. The ones who are emost opposed to lockdoen are also the ones making wild predictions about lockdowns or 'lockdown in all but name'.

They bang on about how the government will sneak it in the back door, make pronouncements about deciphering secret messages from nphet And government announcements, they announce dates for when schools will shut, lockdowns will happen and anti-pub conspiracies and so on. And then they complain about how the media is pushing for lockdown when they've just spent the evening making up and discussing details of lockdowns that the government hasn't even said they're doing.

If we stuck to the facts then there would be far less talk of lockdowns and maybe we could discuss the situation as it actually is rather than wading through the worst fears of the people who oppose restrictions in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Loads of rumors going around (rumors being defined as what people say they heard... so pinch of salt)

Lockdown December 16th. Something to do with teachers being told at the moment. Now... take it with a pinch of salt.

Personally I don't see why you would lockdown with 9 days before Christmas. People would be moaning. Then again, if you wanted to stop the spread over Christmas Dinner locking down then certainly would stop that!

So that's the teachers, the vintners, diageo and the liberal who've all been given the heads up.......

You think whoever is telling them would stop because none of them can keep a secret.....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I would say the 'lockdown' that everyone is worried about, could possibly be the early closure of the schools for the Christmas break or an extended Christmas holiday break into January as a circuit breaker and then after Christmas I would they there will be more restrictions put in an effort to get the maximum impact to send the kids back to school.

I really think the word lockdown is thrown around too much - dont forget an actual lockdown in most countries in the beginning was enforced with police and military literally standing outside your door and no free movement. We never had that here - fair enough we had the Gardai doing checkpoints but if you had a letter or any decent reason for movement, you were fine.

That would basically be admitting that schools aren't safe though, and they are at pains to tell us they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As I say who knows.

But I'll tell you an interesting story there Hynsie. Let's go back to pre lockdown March 2020. Like a week before.

Some people from my job at a function. Ministers there too and what not. One person was told better get your food shopping in as an announcement about closures will happen in a few days. Que that person telling the people in the job come Monday. Some believe her. Some don't. Then the whole Leo speech happens on tv and everyone was like she was right.

Now look, what I posted about December 16th could very well be bollocks. But people talk. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Everyone has there own meaning to the word 'lockdown'

Pubs closed and no mass gatherings ie stadiums/gigs would be my meaning of a lockdown and would be both frustrating and sad. I'd be out of work in that instance

(Don't worry my owl stalker be here in a minute arguing)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH I reckon they are happy to let it be rumoured and the scary numbers get repeated with it. All of this grim news seems to be encouraging some people to pull back on contacts.

• Advertisement

March 2020 was a different beast though, I was in the tourism industry at that point and it was obvious something was coming, we knew that from Valentine's Day when the Americans started cancelling. The announcement was rapid, but we knew it would happen, remember all the talk at the time about making it through Paddy's Day.

Just because we knew something was coming I still called anyone who sent me the army on the streets WhatsApp a gobshite, similarly anyone who reads the liberal or believes lockdown is inevitable is gullible at best.

Yes, I'm sure there's situations where info leaks (usually when varadkar has it) but when 2 of the 4 rumours contradict each other, I'll still call bullshit.

Advertisement