Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Quite the sh1tshow this weekend

The rapid in Ballinalack was not working, connects to the car but was not asking for rfid validation so wouldn't charge, the new 50kw unit still wont start a charging session

New 50kw unit in Sligo town is the same as Ballinalack, an Ionic (not the new one) had the same issue just before I arrived, I was beginning to think it might be my car that had the problem with the new units

That is 3 different new 50kw units I have tried with no success

Tried to use an easygo 22kw unit in Lidl beside the Sligo 50kw and that wouldn't initiate a charge either

Thankfully when I crawled to a Rapid in Carrick on Shannon it was working perfectly as it was on the first leg of the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

What makes the chargers so unreliable? It absolutely does my head in.

CCS in the square tallaght was busy yesterday, 22KW AC was available, plugged in, no dice.

On Thursday, CCS at Portlaoise plaza wouldn’t charge my car. It’s just issue after issue all the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A sub standard network from a sub standard company.

What do we think? About 15-20k new EV’s on our roads in 2022? And if we’re lucky, another 4-5 150kW units will be installed, with perhaps even a 2nd 8 car hub….. (8 parking spots I mean, definitely not 8 cars charging simultaneously).

Number of DC units that are faster than 50kW on the island of Ireland;

Ionity: 22

Tesla: 36 (up to 42 in about 2 weeks, 48 in 4 weeks)

eCars: 13/14?

Levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

I hope Ionity continues (can't see them expanding). Have been using them almost entirely on trips over the last 14 months with 100% reliability and never had to wait. (More than often I am alone there). Thankfully I have never needed to use ECars except for the odd destination charging and for the craic with our friend in Waterford😁.. Actually using SuC is a disadvantage for me in the south east, rarely going north of airport. Any trips to Cork I can normally do return without charging and Limerick I can stop at Cashel Ionity if needed. I certainly wouldn't go to Sandyford if I was a Tesla owner (Or could use SuC) for a charge on a Dub run.

And before anyone says Ionity is expensive, yes it is, but the most I would ever need is about 10kWh on most of my longer trips, well worth it for the speed and convenience. (My free VW 2000kWh Ionity will run out shortly).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

South east and north west are the only two zones not covered by SuC now. Unfortunately for me, we travel to wexford a lot as we have family there. Outside of that trip it's getting to the point where you could use a tesla using the SuC network only. In fact, if you use Ionity Gorey you could probably use a Tesla without using ecars network already.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you seen the posts over the weekend on facefcuk & twatter, but Tesla are actively seeking out new SuC partners..... so if you or anyone you know has contacts at a hotel or any location that could suit a SuC, get them to register their interest on the Tesla website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

eCars....this is how it should be done....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭wassie

An actual forecourt with a roof covering.....we'll never go for it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

A combination of bad design and poor maintainence IMO

If you look at Tesla SuCs or Kempower chargers as an example, the cables are short enough and supported high up so that they can't really fall on the ground, and are securley held into the charger. Whereas I've come across many ESB DC units where either the CCS or Chademo plug had fallen out (or wasn't put back) and ends up damaged

In a similar fashion, because there's generally 1 single charger at an ESB location, when it's broken it's more noticable. At a Tesla or Ionity hub, there's at least 1 other charger, so the chargers probably get less use overall, and if 1 breaks it's less of an impact because there's backups

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I was wondering recently when roof coverings becaome a thing for petrol stations. I feel like most films from the 50's didn't have them, so maybe the 60's onwards. And first petrol stations were around the 1930's in the US?

So there you go, we just need to wait 30 years or so for it to be a normal thing 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I'd prefer that they put in 8 50kW chargers in a location over 4 150kW. What really kills long distance travelling is not knowing how long you're going to have to stop for. If you know it'll take you 45 minutes to add whatever charge you need at 50kW, it's better than it taking 30 minutes on the higher power charger, but you might have to wait 30 minutes before you can add charge. If it's more predictable that you aren't going to have to wait to start charging, people will be less inclined to drag every last drop that they can get before hitting the overstay charge.

Having more chargers allow you to tailor the overstay charge more effectively as well. Tesla do it, by having different idle fees depending on how occupied the location is.

My opinion is that ESB should be ensuring that there are enough chargers on the main routes that you are unlikely to have to wait, but that they should concentrate on providing rapid chargers (50kW) not high power chargers. By not providing high power chargers, there will be a market for commercial operators to provide higher power charging, which will encourage investment in the market. As it currently stands, the financial proposition for operators to provide high power charging is compromised by ESB pricing. If ESB roll out more HPC, then any location developed by a commercial operator may find that it has a reduced usage unless they drop the price significantly.

Personally I'd modify that to:

4x 150kW dual CCS units with priority loading (first plug active gets prioirty for charging, leftover power goes to the second plug) instead of the dumb 50/50 split currently used

4x of the triple head 50kW units with Chademo+CCS and 22kW AC. DC get prioirty on the triple heads but AC is guarunteed 11kW/7kW minimum

Seems that would be the best mix to me and suitable for motorway stops

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As it currently stands, the financial proposition for operators to provide high power charging is compromised by ESB pricing. If ESB roll out more HPC, then any location developed by a commercial operator may find that it has a reduced usage unless they drop the price significantly.

eCars is a commercial operator that has applied to the climate action fund to bootstrap the network. The main thing stopping other commercial operators is the speed/cost of ESB Networks and the general lack of viability for a commercial operator on an island our size. Other countries addressed this by either tendering out the build and operation of a suitable network. We haven't.

Look at what's possible in Coventry when a local authority actually seeds a network, not bad for city that's just a bit bigger than Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

After reading the last few post on this thread I propose another name change. How to avoid using ESB ecars :)

I have seen over the weekend some calculations demonstrating that the 50kW chargers are not viable commercially. That got me thinking about the 10-13 hours per day usage in Dublin North. Clonsaugh Road is currently 13h15min average over the last 4 weeks. Would be realistic to assume a 40kW average power which would yield a 530kWh per day or 16000kWh per month. Account for some losses make it 15MWh *30c=4,500 € in a month. For a 10h average the revenue would be around 3,500€ or more a month. As a great thinker says "Not too shabby..."Similarly are the Airport with 12h 25min, Finglas 11h25min, Lucan 10h45min, Stillorgan P&R 10h50min. Stillorgan Hotel 10h. Dublin registered in the first 10 months of 2021, 4064 EVs and has 15 50kW chargers (an increase with 1ecars+2easygo since 2019 and 1 offline for the last 6 weeks). If only 10% of these cars don't have a home charger and depend on public charging that's 27 cars per charger added this year on top of existing crowd.

All this heavy usage makes me wonder. How would usage look like if Clonsaugh Road would have had 2 chargers or even dare to be bold and say 4? Because from what I see on the heat map, 100% utilization or near to, means queues. Long queues. How many people were put off from charging because of them? They don't appear on the heat map but they would have charged should a second charger would have been available. The main reason of not switching to electric for a lot of people, not necessarily in IE, is "charging infrastructure" And here comes ecars, a great network directly funded by previous and current govs with the mission of accelerating the EV adoption. By keeping 7 year of free charging made sure it destroys any idea of commercial viability. By showcasing the lone charger behind the bins or finally when a hub is put in the front of the service station said hub works based on some astrology algorithm or more recently with an app which doesn't know if the charger is in use or not. All of these are results of brilliant policy making by directly awarded contracts and no accountability required. If I didn't knew better I'd say we live in a communist country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Here's eCars Facebook post on the new unit at J14 in case anyone missed it.

ESB ecars November 17 at 8:55 AM · 

📣 We have a new High Power Charger available for EV drivers in Kildare. You can find it at:

📌 Mayfield Service Station, M7 Junction 14, Monasterevin, Kildare

⚡ There are now eight high power charging spaces available at this location. Please note that this is a new type of high power charger on our network. This charger is a double sided 200kW unit, with 4 connectors – one CCS and one CHAdeMO on each side. It will share the available 200kW across 2 connectors but is subject as always to the limitations of the connected EV and the limitations of CHAdeMO.

⚡ As part of our multi charger site rollout, our 8 bay high power and 4 bay high power hub sites will consist of CCS and DC CHAdeMO connectors only. Prioritising DC charging at these sites is to facilitate faster charging and less wait times for EV drivers at these high traffic locations. It is also in line with our strategy to concentrate on CCS and CHAdeMO connector types to support the majority of EVs on the market. Our 3 bay high power (150kW) and fast (50KW) hubs will continue to have a 22kW AC socket available. 22kW AC charging also remains available at our standard chargers located at non hub sites throughout Ireland.

I absolutely agree, there needs to be a plan behind the charging network beyond throwing in some chargers in seemingly random locations

NTA/NRA (not sure which is responsible) should be tendering out contracts for HPC hubs every 50km along motorways and major roads

Councils should be developing plans to install AC chargers on council managed estates, updating local bylaws to allow chargers for on street parking, and installing DC charging hubs in town centres to pull in some extra customers for local busineses

EDIT: I actually disagree about the pricing argument. While I think Ionity is too expensive for what it is, I believe many EV drivers would pay more for a higher quality network. Looks at the positive recention to many EV drivers at the possible opening up of the SuC network. It's considerably more expensive than ESB, but vastly higher quality

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Whilst I agree in principle my experience is that the new 50kw units do not work reliably, as in my car charges fine on every other type of charger including the old triple heads but not on the new 50kw ones

So get them working first and then I would be happy to see more of them everywhere

50kW chargers just feel too slow though...... it's painful watching the battery bar creep up slowly on a 50kW (44kW) unit.... and 50kW units should no longer be anywhere near any major routes.... their place now is in town centres or Tesco/SuperValu carparks,,, where it'll be more acceptable to take on a slower DC charge...

50kW are so 2016. How many cars sold this year have 100kW+ charging capability? How many will have 200kW+ in 2024. As the energy density will increase so will the charging speed. Right now you can buy a 150kW+ capable car for 38k. A national network has to look into the future and set the tone. Leave the 50kW for the small businesses. The local barber, the local grocer should have it installed and make some money on the side.

I agree 50kW is pretty slow by today's standards, but there's still plenty of Leafs and Zoe ZE50s around, and as many here complain, plugging a Leaf into a HPC it a bit of a waste

• Advertisement

Plugging a Leaf into a HPC is a waste........ when there's only about 14 HPC's in the entire country (with 4 of them at 1 site)..... but if every charger was a HPC, then it wouldn't matter what car plugged into it, as there should be 4-5 more units next to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On the flip side, how many of the cars capable of 100kW+ actually charge at that rate for long?

The ID3 is advertised as capable of 125kW charging but the reality is that you'll rarely see that unless you're plugging in with a warm battery and between 10-20% SOC, then you'll get 125 for a very short spell before it starts to taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The eCars network was started with an agreement between ESB, Renault-Nissan and the Government, who provided funding as part of a trial which aimed to see 10% of the cars on Irish roads being EVs (either BEV or PHEV) by 2020. There was no tendering or even public consultation prior to its establishment. The initial rollout wasn't planned to provide a complete network, and since exiting its "trial" period, still hasn't been properly planned.

eCars may be officially classed as "commercial," but as it is primarily owned by the state, it does not operate under the same economic imperative to return a profit to its shareholders. eCars investment costs essentially come as a reduced dividend to the exchequer, and can be seen as government support for the EV market. This investment should be used to make sure we don't have a single point of failure or excessive congestion in our public charging network, but in a cost efficient manner. I think that a large number of 50kW points is the most cost effective way to do this. Putting in HPCs will increase the cost, and result in a lower number of chargers for the investment value, which will result in more waiting.

I dislike tendering for hubs on the motorway network, as that will create a monopoly at each service station. This will ultimately lead to higher prices as the contracts can't specify a price as the cost of electricity can vary, and the CRU have said that they have no responsibility wrt EV charging prices. There should be the capability installed by ESB Networks in all motorway services for multiple providers to install chargers, and an appropriate rent charged by TII for the space used.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'll take a cold gate 80kW from a HPC over 45kW from a FCP. 125kW is nice, but <50kW is slow for 2021 EVs

Blanch install seems complete. 4 connectors at any one time 3 parking spaces. The AC is going to create havoc there. I see a scenario when only two cars would be able to charge there and none at the HPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There should be no AC at those type of stations. Put banks of AC in a different location, it's a completely different use case. Destination charging vs Fast/HPC charging

What a pointless place to put a 150kW charger. In a huge shopping centre/complex, which is a traffic nightmare at times.

Why not put it down in Kilcullen in place of the 50kW unit, add a 4th space, and put 2 CCS plugs on it!! or what about Castlebellingham?

That site in Blanchardstown, should be 2x 50kW units with a dedicated space for each unit, and then 6-8 spots with AC22's (no AC on the DC units).

If you're coming in for a few hours, do you want a super quick charge at €0.37/kWh, or are you looking to slow charge over a few hours at €0.26/kWh?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Blanchardstown is a suburban centre primarily designed to serve the needs of the local population. As a suburban centre it has lots of short stay facilities within close proximity. It's exactly the kind of location where district DC hubs should be trialled. Though I do think crossing the AC plug with the new DC chargers is a recipe for trouble

The shopping centre should also be installing banks of AC chargers to incentivise longer stays and serve customers who from further afield. I believe that the only time eCars should be involved in destination charging is where the host site is paying them to build and operate like we saw with Tesco paying eCars to greenwash run some underpowered chargers for supermarkets.

If the general fast charging infrastructure was in any way sufficient, people would probably agree with you, but right now, as a hub, it's terribly located. There are better suited locations for DC hubs, and I say this in full knowledge of how crazy busy blanch DC unit was.

100% there should be a big bank of AC units at every shopping centre. Think decathlon, but more.

• Advertisement

I see carnmore, oranmore Galway is going offline for maintenance. Is this the "oranmore hub" ecars talked about?

Advertisement