Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Noted. Maybe going forward, try to read what it is you think someone has actually "nailed" before endorsing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Surprised this wasn't already linked (pick an Irish Library and any 6 digit number to read).

"From such little ripples can flow major waves"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's being seen, and as the article states, from little acorns....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In fairness it's more of an *opinion piece* than a factually accurate article, however in saying that, if I was of a FG voter persuasion (I'm not) I'd.be paying more attention to the author of the article itself,.rather than the media outlet that published it.

However, what you just read is an opinion piece from John Drennan, he's a well known journalist/former political editor for the Sindo , hardly well regarded as some kind of shinner or contributor to An Poblacht that's for sure., In fact he's a well known FG sympathiser. 🤣

From the Wikipedia article.

A gun enthusiast and writer of dole diaries, he doesn't hide his Fine Gael background and leanings, and often refers to himself warmly as an "Old Blueshirt".

Here's his Twitter account. https://twitter.com/DrennanPolitics?t=TOAhu0oR2HX1ynkMrzUy2Q&s=09

This is a man who retweets anti shinner propaganda, and pens Sinn Fein hatchet jobs regular enough, many of them linked to on this site from time to time, and no, I'm not about to go wasting my time "quoting them".

Has the "worm started to turn" ?

If Drennans sources are correct, He's claiming that Leo is "viscerally nervous" about the criminal investigation he's under.

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

One thing that is for absolute certain is that (at least for optics), Leo needs this wrapped up before he is tagged back in as Taoiseach.

The investigation wraps up before then and the, 'nothing to see here' crowd will be so full of, 'I told you so' that you'll hear little else.....but should that happen when he is sitting as Taoiseach, well (rightly or wrongly), there will be plenty of voices shouting even louder about it being further evidence of corruption and the sweeping under the carpet that exists in Irish politics.

They don't need to be right or even intellectually honest for this to potentially be damaging to FG come the next election. As it sits right now FF, FG and SF are far too balanced on a knife edge and a minor slip (or in this case, even the potential perception of one) could be all it takes to absolutely tank any of the three in the next election.

I know full well who the author of the opinion piece is, and I also know full well the publication of the piece. It is still the Daily Mail.

There are all types of conjecture written about Leo, most of it nonsense, and he is by far the most talked-about politician in the country, though at the moment he is not leading the country. Odd that.

In my opinion, it is just the Americanisation of Irish politics is that we are seeing here. One side is importing a type of opposition by any means type of politics. But it will blow up in their faces, as one day they will get the reins of power.

It may fool many people online, especially those on Twitter with that Pirate avatar, but it won't fool ol' Marko here.

To be honest when this investigation is concluded people won't give a dam in the ballot box come 2024/2025, much bigger fish to fry.

People need to take a step back here. FG has been in power since 2011, they will have had 13/14 years in power. A very good run. It is natural that the electorate seeks something new, a change, so it's entirely reasonable that FG will be on the opposition benches come to the next election.

Just throwing it out there mark, but would you think Leo might currently "be the most talked about politican in Ireland" for any particular reason? C'mon, anything jump out at you?

Can you think of any other politicans here currently the subject of NBCI criminal investigations?

As for the "Americanisation of Irish politics" you will note that your man is, shall we say an "FG sympathiser" ? Interesting you would suggest that about his article, considering some of Varadkars contributions in the Dail the past year or two.

Here he is at class division. race division, and sexual equality division.

Didn't he try introducing a bit of sectarianism into Irish politics too. That went well for him.

It may fool many people online, especially those on Twitter with that Pirate avatar, but it won't fool ol' Marko

You're fairly "au fait" with twitter and those pirate flags marko, that m ust be why you "don't use Twitter" except when using it to post fleets of tweets on here so?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The boy Marko is perfectly entitled to post his opinions here, once he doesn’t infringe posting rules, I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah that's fair enough Brenner, but keep in mind I was only agreeing with your post about "Markos right to have an opinion". Thats taboo now apparently though.

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I would imaging the KK youth wing of FG were voicing concern about how the leader is constantly in bother. Maybe they are tired of having to defend his monkey shines. They also cited him being under criminal investigation which on its own is a pretty damming scenario, especially considering the leak is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,888 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Except it seems that it wasn't the KK young FG youth branch expressing any opinion, just an individual or two with access to the Twitter account.

Have you polled the branch or asked FG why they shut the whole branch down? Its obvious FG holds the whole branch responsible.

And even if you are correct, my comment still stands.

No, it isn't obvious that FG holds the whole branch responsible. I am basing my comments on the media article a few days ago which ended the story pretty much everywhere except on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Would this media article from a few days ago that "ended the story" be the same media article you are now discussing in here today? How does that make sense?

As I said, it ended the discussion everywhere but here. I am not hearing about some young FG lad in Kilkenny all over Prime Time, am I?

The regurgitationrama audience for this thread you could count on one hand though...

But I'd agree,nothing about this thread makes sense

I wouldn't have it any other way

Some like fox hunting this time of year

Your past time is your past time

Sacrosanct 🥱

There you have it now, I didn't know any current affair, or event was no longer being discussed/newsworthy unless it was being discussed on certain programs or platforms, or simply because blanch has spoken and declared a "story has ended".

John Drennan, self confessed blueshirt will prob be a misogynistic, homophobic blueshirt hillybilly shinner before the weeks out now.

In saying that, his (Drennan) wasn't the only article in print at the weekend.

Some claims made elsewhere, I believe this source was the first to break the story of Leo's preliminary investigation being upgraded to a criminal one. They're now reporting on bullying and intimidation claims from within YFG.

Imagine these were shinners making these claims blanch.... You'd new wetting yourself loll.

Last week the Young Fine Gael (YFG) national executive received resignation letters from Dylan Hutchinson, its general secretary, Audrey O’Leary, Munster regional organiser, and Gary O’Donovan, the Dublin regional organiser. The three are to meet Jennifer Carroll MacNeill**, Fine Gael’s equality spokeswoman, and will write to party leader Leo Varadkar about their concerns.

**Hope it's not on a beach for their sake.

Similarly, I can hear the misogyny claims from here had this of been a shinner lady.

<snip> - copyrighted text removed - only 1 para plus link allowed

Is this considered "new" news?

Post edited by Beasty on

Don't know, can't read it, it's behind a paywall.

Not going to be fooled into bring SF into this thread by a thinly disguised attempt.

• Advertisement

Times like this I miss the "pac" emoji. 😂

Mind you when I have you, here's a NINE MINUTES OLD article on the Indo.

The youth wing of the party has been caught up in controversy since its Kilkenny branch put out a statement recently calling on Tánaiste Leo Varadkar to resign as leader of Fine Gael. In social media posts, the branch then said that members of its committee had been removed by Young Fine Gael.

Seems the story's far from finished lol. Haymakers like this could only happen to yourself blanch. 🤣

Sooo, three threw their toys out of the pram. They ignored procedures. Just immaturity, really.

Well it mustn't be anything to do with the 'story in the village' ,the subject of this thread,anyway or he would have said...

Why you as a green party supporter are being asked about internal FG matters is beyond me too 😂

It is an internal FG matter and you are asking a green party supporter about it,why? Was my valid question

Secondly you never quoted the adjunct until now about the 3 wanting the Kilkenny YFG Committee reinstated,so quite how I'm supposed to know about that when puzzled by the rest of your post,I don't know

Btw,AFAIK that branch wasn't closed,the branch still exists and will need to vote for a new committee

The actual members will have a say on matters then

A say they were it seems denied on the twitter post

Originally posted by Marine Layer

It is an internal FG matter and you are asking a green party supporter about it,why? Was my valid question

I asked blanch if he considered it "new news" he could be a green supporter or a Judean people's front supporter if he wanted to be, either or would not be relevant to asking him, if he considered a newly published article in the media to be "new news" .

Can you quote me asking them anything about "internal fg matters"?

Originally posted by Marine Layer

Secondly you never quoted the adjunct until now about the 3 wanting the Kilkenny YFG Committee reinstated,so quite how I'm supposed to know about that when puzzled by the rest of your post,I don't know

Ah here, anyone with even a slight bit of knowledge or interest in this case would be fully aware of why those members of YFG were terminated, (for calling for Varadkar to resign due to his criminal investigation) and why it was in the news again. I refuse to believe you weren't fully aware of that, as you were commenting on it last week.

Btw,AFAIK that branch wasn't closed,the branch still exists and will need to vote for a new committee

The actual members will have a say on matters then

A say they were it seems denied on the twitter post

I am prob not the only one scratching their chin now wondering how you know all the above, but couldn't understand how the kk YFG members were relevant to this thread considering?

The two things are directly related to each other after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

the members of yfg were thrown out / resigned / terminated because they called for leo varadkar to resign because he was under criminal investigation , that is pretty releavnt to this thread seeing as its all about leo and him being at the centre of a criminal investigation how much more releavant to a thread could something actually be ?

Are you not telling us not to discuss this one now either? I've no interest in Arsenal so you won't find me bitching about people who do over in an Arsenal thread. Just sayin'.

Sooo... FG shut the whole branch down because of a few "homophobic hicks"? Loose cannons?

How on earth did these members of YFG and I assume FG get access to YFG twitter is astounding!

So you're 'one of our own' until you question the leadership. The leader, to be fair, who engaged in cronyism and leaking a confidential document for which he is under criminal investigation.

When is it okay to question leadership?

You originally didn't reference the Varadkar bit in the Times article at all so you can hardly complain that I was puzzled as to how your post asking a green supporter about an internal FG matter was relevant

Regarding the branch not being closed,its on the public record that YFG hq require the members to vote for a new committee in that branch

Hardly possible if the branch was disbanded

It isn't

I'll assume that since you're lecturing others on reading posts or getting their facts straight, that you'll correct your own and indeed that you'll know where I garnered the above public information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"manipulative” “threatening”,“irremediably toxic”,

"manipulative” “threatening”,“irremediably toxic”,

"manipulative” “threatening”,“irremediably toxic”.

The walls are closing in on Captain Pugwash. What a pity. Maybe even a criminal shame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement