Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: 10c for used bottles and cans [Expired]

Comments

People were saying it will eventually take crushed cans? I know the lidl one does not. Is this the case? are crushed ones taken in other countries. I know a guy who was in Belgium (I think) and was told off for crushing a can, so thought it might not be the case. If crushed are not accepted then this idea that kids or homeless people will do it is not going to work.

I can't see how it would ever take crushed cans if scanning of the barcodes is required. Otherwise you could have folks gaming the system by disposing of material of a similar weight to an empty coke can. Maybe its possible, but I don't see how with my limited knowledge of the process

Comparing it to the euro in trolleys is ridiculous. If you had to put a fiver or tenner for a trolley and potentially queue up for several minutes to return it, and potentially take another several minites to process the return, then people would similarly be pissed off, esp. those who always did the right thing and did not steal trolleys or leave them flying around car parks knocking into cars.

The option remains to not recycle and save your time that way. Personally, if I was segregating the waste and going shopping anyway, it would make perfect sense to take a bag of material with me to the shops. Taking a minute or two more wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Comparing to the bag tax/levy is also stupid, I DO see empty bags about the place. Most resuse them, if there was a levy on say bags of crisps, sweet wrappers, or those nets veg come in, and you had to gather them all up and process them in a machine then THAT is more comparable.

Absolutely, there are still empty bags around, but there are VASTLY fewer bags floating around than there used to be as there is now a value to them. The same will be the case with bottles & cans soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,167 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Crushed ones are not taken in Germany, they have to be in pretty much perfect condition at the barcode area of the can to be read for the refund amount. It will lead to people needing to waste more time and burn more energy requiring more food input so brings its own CO2 emissions cost, an absolute joke of a solution which is already being catered for by green bin recycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Phil.x

If this sh1t comes in, all my rubbish will be going in the general waste and organic bin, glass, tin, metal plastic, wood, garden waste, coal Ash etc etc, I've had enough.

Today I bring back my glass to the local bottle bank, pay for my recycling bin and general waste and religiously segregate my recycling, all done at home, so why the fcuk should I have to pay extra in buying these cans and bottles when I'm recycling and paying for the convenience now. Fcuk eamon ryan.

The only one you'll be hurting is yourself as you'll literally be throwing money in the trash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Right, do you know why a barcode is needed? If cans are saved now could you get money for them when this comes in? or do the barcodes have to be registered and known that the deposit was paid or something? If so that creates even more nonsense. Offies will have to overlabel imported beers, and "grey importers" or stuff like coke cans for takeaways would have to do the same.

So we will not have homeless people or kids picking up cans, as most I see discarded are not in good condition. The unintended consequence of this is that young lads will be buying bottled beers as they will be the cheapest option due to MUP, as the glass will have no deposit, and though bottles are usually more expensive MUP will see to that. So I'll expect lots of broken glass about the place. I cannot imagine gangs of lads going home from a field with big bags of intact cans to get a deposit. Another thing which might happen is people just throwing intact cans on the ground for kids/homeless to collect, "sure its not litter, I am doing them a favour, it's as good as money".

I welcomed the plastic bag levy, the bags should be reused, I already did before the levy. I liked the system in Holland of resuing beer bottles, you got the beer cheaper than in cans as the company was saving. This will likely lead to increases in the price of cans, not including the deposit. A person with a plastic bag and scrumple it up and stick in their pocket and resuse it, an intact dribbling can is not equivalent at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

National govt deposit scheme a step closer. Business opportunity ahoy!

The next step is the appointment, by the Minister, of an approved body to operate the scheme. Further engagement is also required with stakeholders, to fix the rate of the deposit to be paid on in-scope bottles and cans.

The scheme is expected to become operational across the country in Quarter 3 of 2022.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

It was answered in post number 51:

"No, you can be pretty certain that barcodes on all applicable items will change once the scheme is in place. The machines will reject items that a deposit has not been paid on, as is the case currently in the many countries that already operate this system."

And post number 11 said:

"A sting in the tail of the Scottish rollout of these. "Users are rewarded with shopping vouchers worth 10p for each undamaged empty plastic or glass bottle or aluminium can originally bought in Lidl." "

M

Worst thought out recycling scheme in the history of the country, fixing a problem that isn't there and creating so many new ones like mass congestion at retail outlets.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Have used these machines umteem times in umteem countries and have ever encountered an issue with mass congestion.

And this will tackle something that very much currently is an issue - the small percentage that becomes litter, oftentimes in high-impact locations where removal can be very resource-intensive after the fact.

The evidence from elsewhere is once you put a value on this litter, it magically disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

so far, the machine scans barcodes:

-not all barcodes are accepted ( product manufacturer needs to part of the scheme ) but the end user doesn't know if that product will be accepted or not ( will know only based on previous experience ) - in other countries, a small sign on the bottle identifies it as part of the scheme

-multipack bottles/cans won't scan, since they have no barcodes ( you can leave them on the side recycling tote, saving the planet )

There's a message on the machine , saying you can use 1 coupon for shopping on the shop upstairs : at the till you can use more than 1 coupon as long as their combined value caps at 2 euro ( maximum voucher value is 2e ) : the Lidl payment system will accept unlimited coupons ( from a technical point of view) but Lidl staff were trained not to accept more than 2e ( since it's the first to roll out the system Lidl decided to take the lion share - wants you to come more often , to spend on other items aswell, not to stock up on vouchers for a 1 shop deal - you can always split your shopping in smaller batches and pay out with coupons, at same till or same day )

Vouchers show a 31.12.2021 expiration date , but pressed by the public opinion they can honour them into 2022 ( since they were lazy to upgrade the software to give a expiration within 6 months from bottles deposit )

side note : some big retail chains employ expensive consultants and marketing strategists to come up with creative ways to improve people perception on company's ESG ( env-social-gov) stand and principals - sometimes more money is spent on running the project than what gets to the final user ( community kids, sport teams, poor people, etc )

A school just needs to put a empty barrel at the school door and ask the kids to place their empty bottles there, in order for them to buy new supplies, etc ( but that will imply the school staff needs to get their hands 'dirty' , and stop sending parents letters requiring extra funds to sustain the free education system ....)

how will they react if following a donation letter, the parents will deliver a huge pile of empty plastic bottles, double in value of asked donation ? take it? or leave it? or receive same amount of asked donation in Lidl deposit vouchers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

When they brought in the pay-by-weight rubbish collection in Cork, it didn't take long till people started seriously sorting out their bins. And from needing one overloaded wheelie-bin every week they quickly went to 1 every two weeks. Recyle as much as possible, compost garden waste, leave excessive cardboard and pacakging behind at the supermarket. In fact we went to zero rubbish bins and a trip to the dump every couple of months for rubbish and recycling. The only exceptions were those city estates where the rubbish collection was still free - and there you saw overloaded wheeliebins, with stuff in bags beside them on the ground, no attempt at all to recycle.

It's when it hits people's pockets they suddenly wake up to being green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would rather walk on a beach covered in empty cans than broken beer bottles. Young lads out drinking are not going to want to lug empty cans home, and keep them perfectly intact, with MUP cheap beer will be the same price in glass bottles and cans, and so it seems obvious to be that they will switch to glass bottles, they might not even have enough pocket money to cover the deposit when buying.

This document is very good https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_communications_climate_action_and_environment/submissions/2018/2018-01-17_discussion-paper-ibec_en.pdf

Unintended consequences for consumers

Another possible unintended consequence of a deposit return scheme would be the ending of the free kerbside recycling bin for householders or imposition of new charges for its collection. Removing easily recycled (and valuable) packaging materials like aluminium and plastic bottles (PET) from our green bins, would dramatically increase processing costs. If the more valuable materials such as aluminium cans and plastic bottles are removed from our recycling bins and brought into a separate deposit and return system, the costs to the waste collectors will inevitably increase. This will have an impact on the costs of treating material from the recycling bin. Packaging producers in a separate deposit return scheme will no longer pay into the central Extended Producer Responsibility scheme at the existing levels. This would reduce the money available to support collecting the recycling bin. It would thereby bring into question the viability of a free collection, sorting and treated for recovery and recycling of the kerbside recycling bin

Fraud

A deposit return scheme would potentially pay out more than it takes in, because packaging from Northern Ireland will enter the system unless there is country-specific labelling on every container. With 231 entry points between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and the free movement of people, it seems highly likely that substantial returns would be given to consumers who have not paid a deposit. Deposit return fraud could undermine the economic viability of any deposit return Scheme in the Republic of Ireland, while also reducing substantially the funding supporting collection, sorting and treatment for recycling and recovery. 

These schemes run successfully in many countries already. And we ain't gonna be reinventing the wheel. Of course there will be ROI-specific barcodes on bottles & cans so those from foreign jurisdictions can't enter the system and specific barcodes will have to be added to multipack cans too. And of course some people will still litter but their discarded bottles and cans will be hoovered up by others to claim back the deposit.

I don't expect it to be perfect. There will still be some residual littering of damaged bottles and cans that can't be returned as the barcodes can't be read but that will be a fraction of a fraction of the current levels of littering.

I expect it will have a similar positive impact to the introduction of the plastic bag levy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In other countries where it runs successfully do people leave tonnes of rubbish beside full bins? I've seen people looking through bins in other countries to find returns they always leave the place tidy, Irish people can't even leave the bin areas tidy before people start rummaging in them for the valuable bits and they won't clean up after themselves here if they do find returns.

How can it have a similar impact as the plastic bag levy when it'll increase the cost of recycling? When the valuable products are removed from the recycling stream the cost of collection is going to shoot up. This could lead to even more rubbish as people will just dump their recycling waste now, people dump electrical items and they've already paid for it's collect through WEEE.

It's not as if you are getting anything in return for bringing the can/bottle back as you've already paid the money when you bought it.

Well we'll find out one way or the other soon enough! 🙂

Seven months on, has this appeared in any other Lidl store? Are people using the Glenageary one regularly?

Good marketing move by Lidl!

Lidl has collected 800k cans and bottles over the last year. Lidl has paid out €68,000+ in vouchers to the customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Never seen this is any other Lidl - it should be widespread tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will be all over the country early next year as its now a legislative requirement.

However, you'll be paying the deposit on the bottle/can in the first place and only getting your own money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Which is the crux of the stupidity of it. Currently they are collected at your house, and that’s for a paid service. The scheme is a bit nonsensical at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2024, not next yr

Glass isn't, in most areas (and those that have it will continue for jars). You will still be able to put cans in the recycling bin if you wish, but you won't get the deposit back.

The point is that absolutely vast quantities of these don't make it to recycling bins. That'll change, albeit some of it may be due to people picking through bins and making more of a mess in doing so, looking for them - I have seen this happen to apartment bins in Oregon.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

back in march they said they'll put together a agency/regulator to supervise the implementation of the scheme , and reverse vending machines will be available from 'late autumn '

Staff has been recruited and agency is in place, getting paid each month, but the scheme will go ahead from 2024 - 1.5years later than promised.

Lidl have 2 shops with RVM ( reverse vending machines ) - machine reads the barcode , but if the scanned product manufacturer didn't signed up to the scheme machine will give an error, not giving any credit and you can place the item on the side big bin : you save the planet but not your pocket .

Obviously imported beer/fizzy drinks (UK included ) don't 'work' on machines - even those who have other's countries 'recycling scheme' symbols

Lidl machine is placed downstairs on ground floor - when it blocks ( not reading any codes anymore, not giving receipts etc ) - you have to go upstairs on Lidl 1st floor shop and ask a employee to come down and fix it ( not all employees are authorised to do it though ) ;

If you had 10 bottles going IN and machine got stuck on 11th - tuff luck- no receipt available either

Items bought in packs/bulk - coke cans, beer - all without barcodes - no chance to go through.

Lidl could be more flexible and allow multiple recycling receipts to be redeemed at once, not imposing the €2 limit per transaction

It is coming out of the private business' (Lidl) own pocket! It is a roaring success for Lidl in terms of advertising, attracting footfall, green credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get the deposit back? You mean get the tax back. The scheme is ill thought out. Surprised the manufacturers weren’t out crying yet

M

If this was brought in before we had already had green bins for household mixed recyclables and a fleet of a thousand or so vehicles around the country that carry the mixed recyclables which subsidises the cost of household waste collection it would be a great idea, now it's a complete and utter joke destroying a successful system already in place. Having to bring the plastic bottles and cans in a non-crushed condition will also require households to devot additional space in their homes to store it all prior to then bringing them to the recycling machine.

It was in, they got rid of it back in the late 80's I believe. Not for plastic and cans, but for some glass bottles so the basics of a system was up and running.

Not 100% of the details to be honest, I was a bit young then to be making a note of it 😉

M

Yes but it's long gone, 30 plus years gap that systems are now in place to handle.

Who will pay for the redundancy payments to existing staff working for recycling companies?

Post edited by Atlantic Dawn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Hmm all my cans are crushed and mainly from multi packs but when i have a load of metal to dump + batteries as they take the cans in also and dropped of in here.

https://www.oreillyrecycling.ie

• Advertisement

The scheme is identical to those in operation in half of Europe already. It works there

Advertisement