Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Are you making this comment in reference to NI independence? Like actually suggesting that there IS cross community support for NI independence?!

It peaked at barely double figure support, almost entirely constrained to a particularly hardline group of Loyalism.

I'm not quite sure how to respond any further to a suggestion that SF/SDLP support NI independence...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its funny how people claiming to care for NI peoples right to be British and their well being are now suggesting NI independence as an option. I suppose the closer a UI gets the more creative they need to get.

So much for NI being a financial pit. How is suggesting they try go it alone going to support the NI people?

This is all a fear that a UI will cement SF to the top tier of parties.

Its housing and cronyism has FF/FG banjoed not support for a UI (and any bounce SF might get).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, some people care for NI people to be able to make up their own minds from all the options available.

There is a new third identity in the North, people feel Northern Irish, not British, not Irish. Some are struggling to understand this, and the full ramifications need to be worked out, but a unitary state on this island is not the answer for that identity. Putting it a different way, they are not entirely happy with being part of the UK, but they certainly don't want a united Ireland where the Northern Irish identity would be subsumed.

That is why support for a united Ireland is stuck in the 30s percentages.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

The topic is SF, not other parties or other users

I don't believe much of that is genuine. In my opinion its more to do with a UI giving SF a bounce that worries people who otherwise couldn't care less about Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

I do understand why those of a nationalist perspective are struggling with the emergence of the third identity. It is a fatal blow to the long-term aspirations for a united Ireland. Nonetheless, it is a growing view and nationalism needs to learn to engage with it firstly to understand and secondly, to incorporate it into the future political arrangements.

Sinn Fein, as the party which cries loudest on the UI question needs to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

I do understand why those of a nationalist perspective are struggling with the emergence of the third identity.

Aren't most of us Irish citizens by default "of a nationalist perspective" Blanch?

Can you name any of the mainstream political parties that wouldn't describe themselves as "Nationalist", with same aspirations? I know Fianna Fail (whom I had voted for for many years) describe themselves as a "Republican Party", and Leo Varadkar wants a united Ireland, making him a nationalist by default.

Surely yourself, a GAA going individual would be somewhat Nationalist, no? Are you struggling with the third identity yourself, or are you speaking on behalf of all nationalist people?

I don't recall anyone asking me my opinion on it to be honest with you, so am struggling to understand how you reached that conclusion.

Why would you assume that a GAA going individual (and I am more involved than that) is somewhat Nationalist?

Like many people I grew up in a nationalist tradition, but from the GAA excluding members of the RUC to CCE and their exclusionary music practices (try playing a guitar down in Monkstown back in the 1980s), that begrudging aspect of Irish nationalism and culture has always been anathema.

I would consider myself a post-nationalist, where local and international identity are as important as national identity and that identity doesn't need territory to express itself. So while proudly Irish, I am also proudly a Dub and a European and I am not beholden to any territorial expression of those identities.

As for the struggle with the third identity, you can see from these boards and threads, that there is a denial in place. Only a few posts ago we had someone saying that they didn't believe much of it was genuine.

Not everything fits in a little box. You seem stuck in an 'us and them' mindset. Every day folk know we are all the same just with differing opinions. Your idea that 'nationalism needs to learn' feeds into that old way thinking.

Why would people, including SF, seeking a UI need to change their aspiration because others might not share it? That makes no sense. Its the usual 'everyone needs to change to suit our view or they are wrong'. Hypocritical old way thinking clung on to by a minority who miss the empire and find themselves having to suffer the indignity of equality.

What "us and them" mindset? Surely, in thinking about the third identity, I have moved well beyond the limited thinking of "us and them" that you nationalists cling to. The North is evolving well beyond the duality of thinking that has blighted it for decades. Nationalism doesn't have to learn, it can continue as a permanent diminishing minority if it wants, I don't care. We may well see the ultimate pyrrhic victory after the next Assembly elections if Sinn Fein become the largest political party while also seeing the nationalist vote in the North continue to fall against the rise of the middle ground.

If you want to categorise me neatly into a box, you can put me in the "them and them" box, where I have an equal distaste for the sectarians on both sides (DUP and SF) with SF only figuring more prominently as they are the ones looking for my vote. Thankfully the other lot are stuck up North.

• Advertisement

'Third identity' for a start. People thinking independence is a way to go aren't a different ethnicity. I've heard that suggested off and on over the decades from all walks.

Gets back to your 'us and them' thinking.

Nationalism isn't a club or a political party. You need to learn that.

Stop twisting.

I said:

Not everything fits in a little box. 

So are you trying to turn that back on me like I said it with this?

If you want to categorise me neatly into a box, 

You may indeed dislike SF and the DUP in equal measure but you certainly seem to dislike the nationalist community over the BA and undemocratic partition.

Why support something set up to control one community and keep control in the hands of another, while telling nationalists they need to learn?

Nationalists and catholics have been fighting for equality and democracy for decades.

You are wrong, you are suffering from the nationalist misconception that if you are not with us, you are against us.

I have full respect for the Irish nationality, I have said that already (I have no time for Sinn Fein, but as you say yourself, that is not the same thing). As a postnationalist, I don't see the need to associate a nationality with a territory. That puts me in a far different place than the nationalists around here who cling to old and outdated notions of exclusionary nationalism based on a territory. Why else do we see suggestions of a grant scheme to ship unionists back to England? It is 15th century thinking.

For those who are Northern Irish, somewhat uncomfortable in the UK, but not wanting to be part of a unitary Irish state, what options do you offer? Increased autonomy within the UK might be on the table, independence might be too. However, there is nothing on offer from nationalists to that group. As you said in an earlier post, "why would people, including SF, seeking a UI need to change their aspiration because others might not share it?". The answer is that if they want to avoid becoming another small diminishing minority they should expand their thinking beyond the narrow confines of a unitary Irish state. It is a difficult thing to do, but someone needs to get thinking on it and move away from the old tropes and slogans.

Partition is democratic. It was accepted in the GFA, it was accepted in the 1970s referendum. Both of those democratic mandates for partition are far later than anything from 100 years ago.

No. I'm pointing out you have a black and white idea of what nationalism is. There are nationalists in all parties and all religions.

When you use terms like 'exclusionary nationalism' you are talking about a view some people have. You should acknowledge that nationalism in NI is well aware of what being excluded is all about. The British state assisting a minority hold rule over other communities. You never address that but speak on how nationalists need learn. U would say they are well aware there are others who think differently.

Partition was not set up democratically. It was set up to keep one group on top of another.

It's accepted its a fact but it was not set up democratically.

Why would you assume that a GAA going individual (and I am more involved than that) is somewhat Nationalist?

Apologies, I omitted the word "still" nationalist Blanch. As in you still consider yourself an Irish Nationalist. Maybe you forgot declaring yourself such during the conversation about the twelfth. But it was a thread I took a great interested in at the time, and therefore remember it well (it was only 2 years ago)

So I'll repeat my question if you don't mind.

Are you struggling with the third identity yourself, or are you speaking on behalf of all nationalist people?

I don't recall anyone asking me my opinion on it to be honest with you, so am struggling to understand how you reached that conclusion.

The rest of your post is kind of a paradox now, you went on quite the rant about people denying identities, while you seemed to forgotten your own.

You were an Irish Nationalist, until someone pointed out a flaw in your suggestions, then you became post nationalist.

I think you would say anything at all, depending on the argument, just to try and "come out on top", with little concerns to the truth.

Wow, I am now being held to something I said in a post from two years ago, a discussion that I couldn't have had with you.

How am I struggling with the third identity? I welcome it as people in the North maturing and rejecting the extreme sectarianists.

As I have said already, there is plenty of evidence on these threads of nationalist posters denying it exists, let alone getting to stage of struggling with it. That is your evidence for you.

As for me, as I have said already, I am proudly Irish, proudly Dub and proudly European.

I don't have a black and white view of nationalism.

For example, I don't see Irish nationalism as requiring support for a united Ireland. You can be an Irish nationalist and favour the continuation of partition. Don't you agree? If you don't agree, maybe you are the one with the black and white view.

I have a view of nationalism that allows someone to be both British and Irish, neither British nor Irish, British, half-British, half-Irish, some other combination. People can identify as whatever nationality they want, I am not stopping them, I don't have a black and white view of that and our political arrangements need to mature to allow all that.

Describing yourself as an "Irish Nationalist" in mid July 2019, you don't think would be a reasonable assumption some might still have to believe you still held on to that belief, no? It isn't like you proudly told us you had never eaten from a particular restaurant, or took sweeteners in your tea after all, people do not tend to change such beliefs as that on a whim Blanch, looks like what you are engaging in here is a "hand brake turn" because you now realise you've been snared by your own careless posting history. (My mother always used to say that you need to have a good memory to be a good spoofer by the way)

Oh, and as FYI, I have had a boards handle (or account) on here since 2008 . But under my last account I normally posted in GAA, History, the Car Forums, and occasionally Bargains, Alerts, I did read some political and current affairs threads, but seldom contributed in them (the misinformation and general lack of knowledge towards certain events in the north could be enough to deter any right thinking individual at times)

So you were a proud Irish Nationalist in the summer of 2019, but are now Post nationalist in the winter of 2021. Can I ask what happened in your life that brought on the change?

The sudden conversion hardly just come on the back of me calling you out today did it? Because that would just be coincidental by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think this discussion is about me, but would I like to see a united Ireland? Yes, under certain conditions. Does that make me an Irish nationalist? Yes. Does that define everything about me? No.

As I said already, I am proud to be from Dublin, from Ireland and from Europe.

Do I meet your narrow exclusionary definition of Irish nationalist? Probably not, but I don't think that's my problem.

This is the problem:

Do I meet your narrow exclusionary definition of Irish nationalist?

Always a negative angle about Irish nationalism.

Who is exclusionary? You are complaining about some opinions you don't like and putting them on Irish nationalism.

It seems nationalism is only a problem when it's Irish. Its okay for people to consider themselves Irish and want a UI? Just looking to confirm.

Let's be clear.

A nationalist does not have to be a supporter of Sinn Fein.

Sinn Fein have a narrow exclusionary definition of Irish nationalism.

Those who align themselves with Sinn Fein on the issue are exclusionary nationalists.

That doesn't mean all Irish nationalists are exclusionary nationalists.

Nationalism is a problem when it is of the Farage, Trump, Le Pen or Sinn Fein exclusionary type. That is not just an Irish problem.

It is ok for people to aspire to a united Ireland so long as they follow the Irish constitution in wanting to unite the people of the island first.

If people want to reject the aspiration of uniting the people of the island before a united Ireland, then they are anti-democratic.

It is not ok for people to follow the Sinn Fein line and call for a border poll now while at the same time supporting the GFA.

It is ok for people to follow the Sinn Fein line and call for a border poll now while acknowledging that they are implicitly rejecting the GFA.

There is an awful lot that is good about being Irish - music, art, literature, humour - but there is some that is bad, as with all cultures.

I have explained my opinions as above many many times, and backed them up with relevant sources. It is difficult to accept that those who follow the threads regularly are misunderstanding me. You can feel free to disagree with my opinions but my opinions are not wrong, neither are they based on false premises.

No opinion is right or wrong, it just needs to be based on sound logic and argued reason. If it is not, such an opinion is misguided, laughable or stupid.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's obvious I would have thought.

How are SF exclusionary? Are they planning on treating non-nationalists the same was nationalists were treated by most of the British/ulster Scots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The deepest irony on this thread is you parroting your usual about not speaking on behalf of others and letting them make up their own minds......while speaking on behalf of all Northern Irish people.

Parroting on about exclusionary ideals.....while excluding a significant cohort because they don't conform to what you're trying to push.

Let me be clear. I'm Northern Irish.....I'm an Ulster man....I don't and won't vote SF.....I aspire towards Irish unification. Should Unification occur, I'll still be Irish, European, Northern Irish and an Ulster man (in no particular order). I'm far from alone in this.

I, along with many (indeed MOST Northern Irish people) have no interest in NI independence...despite your blatant lies about APNI, no notable party in NI supports NI independence......NI independence is NOT a middle ground solution and this is known by anyone with even a modicum of actual knowledge of the place (it is a fringe desire expressed only by a particularly hardline sect of Loyalism).

Maybe you could do with listening to a few people you claim to speak on behalf of instead of just talking over them?

The discussion is not about you, correct.

You made a sweeping generalisation, and applied it to "nationalists' of which you and I consider ourselves to be.

I pointed out as a self declared Irish Nationalist, you didn't seem to realise this would also have to apply to yourself, you replied to that ( before realising you had posted declaring yourself an Irish Nationalist) that you were in fact a "post nationalist" distancing yourself from any notion you were some Irish Nationalist (you were just after suggesting them fellas had issues afterall.)

When I quote yourself declaring yourself as an Irish Nationalist, you firstly try to imply its ancient history, that because your post wasn't directly engaging with my current username, that it was now somehow irrelevant, before admitting you actually are an Irish Nationalist again here Does that make me an Irish nationalist? Yes.

but then try to go on to imply I'm trying to stereotype or pigeonhole your identity here

But yet in the same post try to suggest or imply that I'm relying on stereotyping you, or pigeonholing your identity here Do I meet your narrow exclusionary definition of Irish nationalist? Probably not, but I don't think that's my problem

Even though the only reason I've ever thought of you being an Irish Nationalist was because you posted describing yourself as one, in fairness you distanced yourself from that asked about it again, and then have since changed your stance to becoming an Irish Nationalist once again. I merely assumed your Irish Nationalism on your own posts declaring yourself one, not "narrow exclusionary definitions" Blanch.

My post wasn't about you per say, more about broad sweeping generalisations. I asked if you were speaking on behalf of all Nationalist people, and then reminded you of your own self declaration of being one. You tried to disown that notion, then reclaimed it again while implying I am stereotypical or have a skewed outlook rather than me simply deducing from your own posts.

At this stage Blanch, I'd say it's best to quote one of my young lads, and say you're after "being snared".

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

seems a fair few people are in denial about this. there clearly is a middle ground appearing, and it is a threat to a United Ireland.

There are an awful lot of people in denial about this.

Congratulations where it is due. I see from the Northern Ireland vaccination statistics that 100% of over-60s have now been vaccinated.

A fantastic achievement, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

How does that contradict my point that Labour and others don't want to go into government with Sinn Fein?

Surely it increases the reasons why Labour won't want anything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

It was never meant to contradict your point blanchy, it was more a bit of humour, namely even the labour cllrs would be jumping ship at the thought of attracting voters like you.

Id guess your great fun at the party's you go to.

• Advertisement

Without a smiley it is impossible to see the humour. You would be surprised at how much fun I am.

Advertisement