Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Hold off on any celebration until the morning numbers have been released. Each of the past 7 days have had a higher number than the same day the previous week. There is always a peak after the weekend. The number to watch out for this morning is 634.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If the cases are dropping, is it the case that we can drop the seamus shaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The pattern is the same every week, over the weekend the numbers rise and the media terrify people with terrible projections etc, Monday evening /Tuesday the hospital numbers drop and you will have a job to hear a mention of it in the media, so just for clarification are you or are you not worried about yesterday's drop in numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The CMO has been on any platform that will have him warning us that the situation is dire and we need to do something. I think we all agree that he fabricated hospitalization figures a couple of evenings ago to give the impression that for every 1000 positive cases we were seeing 100 admissions. That was done with the sole intention of alarming people and had a huge impact on some peoples health. They decided to target the hospitality sector again.

Pure panic and set the tone for the general public buying into it and the situation getting over hyped. At not one point did Holohan come on and try and cool the jets a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

609 in hospital this AM. That's a really good result, that's made my day.

Hopefully this continues trickling downward now and we get a decent drop on Saturday.

If we come out of the weekend around 600 or less, then things are looking really rosy.

Actual number of new cases in hospital is barely dropping, if at all. But as expected, the discharge rate is catching up; that surge of people hospitalised last week and the week before are now being discharged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the perspective of public health a message of alarm is what they want to deliver and it seems to be having an effect. Hospital numbers are not fictitious and it's a rate they are using in their models, one they should probably change.

Had a look at that myself. Didn't get a chance to parse the actual data though. The messaging this time around considering we are all but fully vaccinated has been erroneous at best. Hopefully we move forward from here regardless of daily numbers etc. We need to move back to a message of take caution, social distance and wear masks. Get away from harsh restrictions or talk of them from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's great to see the hospital numbers reducing. I think the media need to cool the jets. I also think the teachers unions need to settle down - they are only creating noise at this point - nobody wants to listen to their incessant moaning.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It’s an unusual drop in hospital numbers over 48 hours. The timing of it - this close to updated winter plan from department of health, which has focus on speeding discharges and interventions to triage at community level to reduce hospital admissions;

There are 100 extra community beds accessible in Q4 to assist with discharges. Obviously they’re not releasing Covid infectious patients to these facilities, but possibly elderly that need more time to fully recover.

Paul Reid’s recent letter added impetus.

Makes more sense than 88 people suddenly recovered in 48 hours and sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement

The CMO and NPHET helped fuel panic over the last week. The message has changed since yesterday morning when they realised there modelling and projections were totally wrong. They did however create a culture of panic. You can't really blame uneducated people on facebook or whatsapp worrying when our own CMO and Paul Reid were telling us how grave things were. Did there modelling take into account our successful vaccination roll out? I think not.

To say NPHET and Reid didn't help fuel and facilitate panic over the last 3-4 days is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Plausible theory. It's good as well because it means acute beds are freed up faster for those who need them.

Though at the same time 88 discharges in 48 hours is not that unusual. We had days with 80+ admissions last week and all of those people will be discharged eventually. Which means days of 80+ discharges are likely, especially when we compress most of our discharges into Mondays and Fridays.

Where is all this panic?

Can you show it?

I'm in work with ~ 150 others. No panic.

Have been out over the weekend. No panic.

Interacting with extended family members. No panic.

NPHET statements. No panic.

Listening to Dr. Ronan Glynn as I type. Not panicking. Sounding quite positive.

As I said earlier, the only panic I can see is on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Good thread by Mina,

it’s the way I’ve been using antigen all along. Only way to do it. The fact that FF are running with CMO’s take on antigen is worrying itself don’t mind the fact Holahan all but says is still very much against antigen testing.

Ronan Glynn who said it's to early to rule out any further restrictions? That Ronan Glynn?

As i said there is back pedaling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The other way of looking at it is that the CMO has given interviews and changed behaviors enough without putting any further restrictions in place.

The whole vaccine rollout was similar, scarcity led to people rushing to get it, I don't believe this was a purposeful plan, but if putting up with some TV interviews gets us through then so be it (and we'll have the hand wringers giving out about the constant doom and gloom and how dare politicians and health officials not tell us we're all wonderful, being offended on others behalf usually).

The tone has changed in the last 24-36 hours. Panic inducing tweets and interviews before that. From the CMO, NPHET, HSE and the media.

Any examples?

And did the tweets actually raise panic? And where?

I think you're seeing what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Tony Holohan suggesting there could be up to 400,000 cases in December if people don't behave themselves: Dr Tony Holohan: Covid cases could reach up to 400,000 in December unless there are behavioural changes - Independent.ie - about 4 times our previous peak in January this year when no one was vaccinated. I don't think it's unreasonable to portray that as panic.

• Advertisement

A pharmacy near home running with Holahans advice on antigen as well!!

https://www.facebook.com/782568991906895/posts/2161558980674549/?d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have felt all along that restrictions should be metrics based.

For example...

If ICU numbers hit # then the following restrictions kick in...

If hospital numbers hit # then the following restrictions kick in...

If positive test cases hit # then the following restrictions kick in...

It would remove a lot of the idle speculation.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

but is anyone except for people here really paying attention any more. certainly not among those that I know, nor is it particularly evident in town and in pubs and clubs. He lost the crowd a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

I would have thought its perfectly normal for a pharmacy to take CMO's advice on a medical matter, no ? Not liking the man or the advice doesn't necessarily mean its wrong.

It’s wrong is it not? PCR tests can’t be got. If antigen was used for symptomatic people then you’d have a lot less going for needless pcr it’s only a cold etc…

I kinda agree with this, but there's always such wiggle room and selective interpretation of rules and information here, I can't see it working in practice. Imagine if the hospitalisations number for restrictions was 1,000 - you'd have health professionals panicking at 999 looking for restrictions, and if it was 1,001 you'd have people saying there's no need, sure we're only just over the limit. I know that's very simplistic, I just can't see it working here tbh. I think it would really lead to the anticipatory behaviour Glynn spoke about many moons ago. Love them or hate them, I think there has to be an element of expert judgement in any of these calls, I'm not convinced a pandemic response can be so "check box" oriented. Trends and background info have to be factored in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

700,000 people with symptoms of covid in the lats week.

Most just normal colds coughs etc.

This madness needs to end before the country collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Yep the tone has changed.

But to be fair the panic has been from a full on assault from the media. RTE, Newstalk you name it. Anyone claimign theres be no panic only here simply hasnt been listening to a radio or seen a tv in the last few weeks.

It hasnt been helped by our celeb CMO going on every talk show, tv news programme to be questioned multiple time about bringing in restrictions, but also to be fair to him he hasnt taken the bait

I wouldnt blame NPHET etc for the panic apart from the addiction some of them have to celebrity and cant help themelves but as has been the case for the duration of this pandemic the media have been a complete and utter disgrace and ive witnessed what its done to a generation of people in the country, my own family members included.

TBH it seemed a bit counter intuitive to me too. I was under impression that antigen are most reliable when you have symptoms. But I don't know enough about their actual reliability in real world settings to say what a doctor is telling me is wrong. And that's not meant to be sort of "trust me I'm a doctor", but perhaps naively I'm assuming NPHET etc have access to much more data than I have and their fears about inappropriate use and resulting behaviours are well founded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My assumption is that the "gold standard" is still PCR, but it is impractical to do routine PCR testing of asymptomatic people, therefore antigen fills the gap. If you have COVID symptoms then the gold standard still applies, even if the reality is that you have to wait days for a test slot.

Put it this way: if you had the choice of both, and actually wanted the most accurate result (e.g. if you were visiting a vulnerable relative that you wanted to keep alive), and were prepared to wait for a result, then you would pick PCR.

That's the whole basis of the previous advice about antigen testing - it has been proven less accurate than PCR, which is why PCR is used when accuracy matters.

Advertisement