Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Landlords feel entitled to rent increases?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Grand but I'll just point out that people share personal anecdotes on these boards all the time.

You accuse me of fabricating and ask for verification because it interferes with the group sulk about how all landlords are hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

you protest too much. I knew it was a porky to start with

I am continually protesting because you are continually calling me a liar, which I'm not.

Stop replying to me and I'll stop replying to you.

"Why do tenants feel entitled to a property for a cheaper rate than others are willing to pay for it?"

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

There is plenty of threads on here about Land lord problems. The OP and I are in similar situation.

I'm able to have sympathy for a LL losing money over time, but I have more sympathy for someone like myself on the verge of being homelessness.

I think as a society and by your posts you see nothing wrong with that. You Clearly have a capitalist, negative outlook on life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Very good point but this house needs some structural work done to it and I wouldn’t be surprised if she does some renovations at the same as she has a few builders in the family. Thus meaning she’ll be able to up the price once we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

... but the tenant is required to submit the required paperwork in advance of being approved and, therefore, before any payment is received. Is that not the case? The landlord must also provide written proof of tax compliance and registration with the RTB. It is curious that the HAP is paid to the tenant who then passes it on to the landlord as part of the monthly rent rather than directly to the landlord. If that were the case the system would surely be less open to abuse by unscrupulous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

you almost make it sound like a " capitalist outlook " is a bad thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Why do you accuse of of having a negative outlook on life?? because I am not telling you what you want to hear?

It depends though.

'Market rent' is skyrocketing because of a supply shock yet some posters are implying that rent inflation struggles to match other forms of inflation.

With the exception of this year's energy prices, which may not be repeated year on year in the future, I don't see it.

So are we talking about reaping the maximum profits from a supply shock, way over and above wage inflation?

Because if so I fail to see why LLs should be the focus of intense sympathy, as they seem to be on this forum.

• Advertisement

landlords have to maximise rent , the sector is highly regulated and biased towards tenants in terms of rights so if they encounter a rogue tenant , they face years of zero income at all

a landlord needs to build a war chest while he or she can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

it is not like it is a once off they have to do the forms every year. Whether you want to accept it or not HAP and all other rent payments are more hassle for landlords. You also ignored what they did when rents went down. Landlords don't want it for many reasons and you also wonder why they don't like it. You got answers and obviously never ever dealt with it yourself so as the people providing rentals are telling you it isn't all great like you think. That is it

I was just driving yesterday and a Dublin bus pulled iup beside me. Huge ad in the bus with "Do you have a bad landlord" or something similar. Then a load of items a "bad" landlord might do with information on how to report them

Now has anyone ever seen something similar for a landlord?

At this moment the tenant has all the power and the LL none, plus the public seems to think they have the right to treat LL like dirt. Good on any of them who can make a few quid

The sector is biased towards large institutional investors who can borrow at 0% finance, operate at thin profit margins due to their scale and absorb shocks like the occasional bad tenant. Plus their tax advantage.

(A normal tenant just doesn't need the level of protection given to dishonest problem tenants.)

But these wealth consolidation schemes and deliberately pushing small players out of the market is standard Yankee capitalism, taking place across multiple industries.

That is what FG and FF are all about.

If you break the law and exploit people you are bad. Many tenants lack the experience and confidence to stick up for themselves

When did the public treat LLs like dirt? I don't see what hurt feelings have to do with price gouging.

You give FF and FG far too much credit if you think they planned or could pull off something like that , the large institutions as a factor are a legacy of the crash where we were begging for someone to enter the market , certainly overly favourable carrots were offered .

the onerous conditions heaped on landlords are due to pressure from NGO,s , media and various left wing activists

both combine to give us the mess we currently have

When did the public treat LL like dirt? just look at the press, just look at the some of the "TD's", look across social media etc.

Nobody is price gouging. The rent is at the rate based on the market. Tenants wanted all the right, they got them but forgot that meant most LL got screwed over and left the market. You can't have rental properties without LL.

Now you have a rental market which hasn't enough properties for the people looking for them, supply and demand.

Everyone told tenants and everyone else for years all the new regulations been forced on LL would drive them out of the market, it happened. Crying over spilt milk comes to mind.

As I said when LL had it rough for years and struggled to pay the bills I didn't see everyone runnig around to help them or set up organisations with advertisements on buses. Did you?

FG and FF didn't favour corporate capitalism by accident.

Or if they did are they going to reverse course now that it's obvious what's happening? Or are left-wing activists twisting their arm?

The big companies are not pushing out the smaller players. The Irish tenants are the ones pushing them out. If the "normal tenant" didn't want all the new regulations then why did they call for them and have TD's jumping up and down for years looking for them?

there is a place for institutional investors in the market , the likes of Germany has them , there is also a necessary place for small investors and REIT,s etc dont want to own property in Clonmel etc

• Advertisement

One of the main finding out of the crash was Ireland didn't have a large scale rental system like most other European cities. The recommendations from Central Bank, ECB etc was to put that in place. Which is what they did.

At the same time you had the Irish tenants demanding all sorts of new regulations so they could do whatever the f**k they wanted without getting thrown out. Cue People before Profit/Sinn Fein etc all runnig around demanding these with the backing of Irish people. They got these given to them.

FF & FG gave the Irish people what they wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Landlords are operating a business and will take full advantage of the supply V demand when they can. The market will change at some point forcing rents to fall and landlords will have no choice but to follow suit.

There is no incentive to keep rents low for your tenants. You are effectively screwing yourself over.

FF and FG were the unwitting servants of PBP/Sinn Fein who represent the people?

I presume you'll still be voting for these FF and FG TDs who brought in this legislation then? They don't bear any agency for the laws they've brought in?

As I said most tenants want some protection from huge price shocks, stolen deposits etc - most ordinary people have too much self-respect to be a dog-in-the-manger not paying any rent. Do you really disagree?

Did I say FF & FG are the servants of PBP and Sinn Fein?

I pointed out earlier during the biggest increase in homelessness and rents in Dublin, Sinn fein ran DCC and ran it into the ground. Building no properties and to this day will reject any housing when possible. It is not in SF interests for the housing crisis to be resolved. During that time DCC rent arrears built to over 33m. That 33m could and should have been used to build houses

I don't know who I will vote for next time, it is 4 years off and a lot of water to go under the bridge by then.

Not sure what the last paragraph is about as it doesn't make any sense. You have yet to discuss any of the points I made which I guess you realise are 100% correct. if the best you can come up with is pointing at FF & FG and thinking they are the root of all problem I think are sadly mistaken. Yes they have some of the blame but plenty more issues. Lots sitting with the irish tenant themselves

Let's recap what we've learned.

Right so the media, NGOs, left-wing activists, PBP, Sinn Fein, DCC and the Irish Tenant are forcing small LLs to rent to problem tenants who won't pay - pushing up operating costs in lieu of reserve capital.

FF and FG are passive bystanders both in the past and the present. All they do is write and enact legislation but they aren't the source of it. Nor are large institutional investors who stand to gain the most.

Small LLs have taken their ball and gone home but the ones who haven't should ride the supply shock as far as it'll go, it's what they deserve after being given poor treatment. Except they're only doing it to cover operating costs.

Do I have that all correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No. Your posts point to you being older, home owner and/or maybe a landlord?I could be wrong.

You paint a picture in your posts of someone very defensive and worse case scenario in your own head.

When I congratulate some for saving for a deposit because LL kept rent reasonable, you seem enraged by this idea and painted a picture of a LL not getting maximum profits and how awful that is.

You come across very much a capitalist and not much empathy for people being homelessness.

People like that just have a negative, I'm all right jack vibe to them. Just how you come across to me.

I am not enraged by anything as you keep suggesting. I have just provided an explanation. One which you don't like so you post the garbage above.

I don't know you to make any personal comments.

I don't know you either and as I said it's a vibe I get from your posts.

You haven't really provided an explanation. You just keep saying LL should get maximum profits because they can. As to the original posters point we need laws to stop massive rip offs from LL. I know sentiment on here is that LL are the victims and tenants are to powerful. I feel as a tenant, I have no power and at the LL mercy, who will keep increasing as much as they can.

Maybe smaller LL have it tough compared to the big boys, that a point, I'm not sure on. Smaller LL might be getting out now due to red tape or the massive profits they can make selling. Either way no LL is facing homelessness at the moment.

• Advertisement

I suggest you actually read people posts. If you feel you have no power then you are wrong. The regulations and laws are all with the tenant and I posted above an organisation for tenants who is advertising on buses.

Laws are already in place to stop "massive rip offs from LL".

You keep throwing out homelessness, not sure why but I expect you are hoping for a reaction. I think you actually don't understand the issue in Ireland and I doubt you ever did anything to help the people in those situations.

Advertisement