Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religion and Engaging with the Teacher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jesus fuckin Christ. So instead of letting someone force catholic views on my child you want me to force my atheist beliefs?

As I already stated no one is forcing any beliefs on my child.

I’m letting him choose his own path. It’s upto him as an adult as to whether he believes or not.

And the op is a hypocrite.

if you go back and read his original post you’ll see why.

if you can’t read or understand it I’ll get my other son who is in senior infants to read it to you and then it might sink in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think part of the problem here is there's no such thing as 'atheist beliefs' - all atheism is, is not believing in a god. It's the default, everyone is born an atheist. They then chose to believe in a god at some point in their life.

There's a massive difference between raising a child as an atheist and raising them religious.

In one scenario, you're just saying you don't believe in something, there's no evidence to you that it exists. That does not mean that at some point in the future, such evidence could present itself and you could change your opinion. It's unlikely, but you're not completely ruling it out by considering yourself an atheist. Again, all it means is you don't believe in a deity right now.

In the other scenario, you are saying that yes, the deity does exist and not only does it exist, here's a strict set of rules it laid down to us humans a few thousand years ago which you must follow to get into the afterlife etc.

They are completely and utterly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What exactly do you mean by "compromise access to education" ?

Why should the right of non-catholic parents to access education be compromised?

Should this country aspire to be some sort of damp Saudi Arabia?

Scrap the cap!

Your child is receiving religious instruction so yes, you are allowing the school to force catholic beliefs onto your child. It's really not hard to understand - but many Irish people who grew up in this system have a hard time seeing how abnormal and abhorrent this is, even if they are no longer believers themselves - that's the power of childhood indoctrination in action!

And there's no need to be abusive.

You are calling the op a hypocrite for sending their child to an RC school but you've done the same thing. Explain how that works please.

Scrap the cap!

Sweet Jesus.

go back and read the op’s post.

Then go back and read my post. I’m not doing the same as the Op as I’m not looking to excuse my child from religion.

If I forced my beliefs on my child then I’m no better than the church. At least this way he goes through the same education l went through and he can make his own mind up.

he’s asked me already and I’ve

explained I don’t believe in god and why. But if he chooses to believe etc then it’s his choice and no one else’s.

I always think religious people come across really badly on these threads but thanks to you I see both sides are equally as bad.

Master of the Universe

As I mentioned above, not believing in something (aka, atheism) is not a 'belief'. You just don't believe in something. I'm sure you also don't believe in many other things, they aren't 'beliefs' either.

Excluding your child from religion is not 'forcing a belief' on them, because there's no 'belief' to force. Non belief is not a belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you want access to something but move or live where its not easily available.

Master of the Universe

It's not a belief at all. It's the absence of a belief. A belief by it's very definition is 'an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.'

Therefore saying something like 'forcing my atheist belief on..' is an oxymoron.

I know it sounds like linguistic semantics, but it's important when debating something like taking children out of religion class, especially in Ireland where the default is to teach religion.

You're not forcing any kind of a 'belief' on someone by removing them from an element of education which IS forcing an ACTUAL belief on them.

• Advertisement

You can believe in things that have nothing to do with religion. I believe Ireland won't win the next world cup. I've no proof. They may actually win.

An absence of something actually an identifiable thing.

That said I don't think there should be religious education in state funded schools.

I just don't understand how someone hasn't planned for this before a kids starts school. They've known for a least 4~5yrs its going to an issue. I assume you'd know long before that as well, discussed it with a partner etc.

If some said you know what. I'm going to demand my rights, not to have religious education on the local school. I'm going to meet that battle head on. I say fair play. I support that 100%. What I don't get is just sleep walking into it, saying I've no choice.

right... what do you propose they do?

Scrap the cap!

Grow a set and tell the school straight out.

Or else suck it up like they’ve done for the past year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Some of the atheists (or some of the ones siding with the OP, anyway) are putting forth some pretty dishonest arguments here. You might want to ask yourselves if you’re sure you’re on the right side if you can’t argue your case honestly.

• Advertisement

what "dishonest" arguments would those be?

Pretending that a system where over 90% of primary schools are under the control of a church is perfectly fine - that seems pretty dishonest to me.

Scrap the cap!

It was a bogus question.

It's the same circular argument. I can only go to this one extremely religious school. How do I avoid all religion at this school.

No, you said this:

I just don't understand how someone hasn't planned for this before a kids starts school. They've known for a least 4~5yrs its going to an issue. 

So what exactly should they have done in those 4-5 years?

And they have a constitutional right to opt their child out of religion at school btw.

Scrap the cap!

They shouldn't have done nothing about it anyway. Which is a common theme on these threads.

I see parents doing all sorts of things to get into specific school, pretend to separate, rent a house, buy a house, move in with their parent, move house, move county, move country etc. Be part of lobby groups, get ET built, get catchments areas changed, lots of things. All these things involved compromises, and hardship. often its about getting into a better school, a different peer group, different education methods, etc.

Arguably religion and avoiding it would be more important than all these things. So why put less effort in achieving what you want. It doesn't add up.

• Advertisement

I get why you're so fanatical./hardline about it. I just think its a little unrealistic.

You might be interested in this thread... https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058215428/why-are-there-so-few-state-owned-state-run-schools-in-ireland#latest

Saying people should "just move" or even better "set up a school" is laughably unrealistic. We have well under half of marriages now taking place in a church, yet about 94% of schools are church controlled. You can't move to get a school place if there are no places left there.

Anyway, why should anyone have to move for their child to be treated equally and with equal respect in a school? That's saying it's OK for certain schools to treat some kids like shít. It's not OK. It's never OK.

Scrap the cap!

Yet other people managed to fill those spaces. How did everyone else get in?

Making excuses and hyperbole isn't getting going to get anyone anywhere.

Living locally and applying at birth, usually.

It's not acceptable that well over 90% of schools are run by a church yet funded by the state. I'm not the one making excuses, you are.

Scrap the cap!

Well those admission policies at least you could plan around.

But those policies are seen unfair as it bias towards long term locals. It creates a school population that doesn't mirror recent population changes. So policies recently have been changed to not favour long term residents.

So now its a lottery regardless of how long you've been an area, often you can only apply in the year before the child attends school. So someone from Cork who moves to say Dublin school a year before schools starts has exactly the same chance as someone who has lived their for 50yrs. its mostly based on the child age and their current permanent location.

The downside is there no incentive to be resident in a area, once you get a place. Also locals can't get a place. So you get a lot of kids being ferried all over the place and the school and its community becomes disconnected from the locality in which its located.

But that's what society wanted. That's what it got. The social media generation, wants immediate gratification, or in this case change.

Like I said its a catch 22. You're not open to any compromise. So asking for suggestions is disingenuous. You only want exactly what you want, and you want it instantly. There is no solution (that I know of) to that.

So you get a lot of kids being ferried all over the place and the school and its community becomes disconnected from the locality in which its located.

Which is exactly what you suggested non-catholic parents should be doing - "find another school" or "just move"! Make up your mind. Or is it only catholic parents who have a right to be connected with their local community?

Scrap the cap!

You're basically asking how people can guaranteed a place. I'm explaining why no one can. No one is special in that regard.

Schools in rural areas are closing though lack of numbers. City schools are over subscribed.

Location, location location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Arguing dishonestly or honestly is mutually exclusive to being right or wrong.

Flat earthers can argue honestly and round pro-vaxers can argue dishonestly.

" You're basically asking how people can guaranteed a place."

I think that's muddying the waters.

It:s a right to education which we take to be universal. Not based on your baptism certificate, or lack thereof being the decider who gets the education.

I'd be very annoyed if a surgical team insisted on a group prayer before surgery, with a priest blessing the area... That's assuming I get past hospital reception without a baptism cert!

But ya I know, I could just go away and build my own hospital, or move near a non denominational one.

A state education and health have nothing to do with indoctrination.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can no longer apply at birth for most schools.

That's a recent change. (which I mentioned earlier) Anyone complaining about a child in school now. Had an opportunity to be on a waiting list, so they are complaining about a situation that didn't exist when their child applied for schools.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Where is there a state education with zero exposure to religion.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Yippee, a waiting list tens of kilometres away which in Dublin traffic means one parent giving up their job.

But yeah, "choices" 🙄

Scrap the cap!

Still a choice.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Mother of God. What a pointless debate. Religion is a minor issue in all schools today. Religion a JC and LC subject. World religions studied etc

Without a home base or societal base your kid is hardly going to become evangelical.

But we have the virtue signaling secularists raised on the poor history of the church in Ireland rushing to the battlements. But the battle is over.

Naked consumerism and me me meism is the current religion and its packing them in

But far be it from me to stop the joy of the show boaters here!

You're replacing a constitutional right to education with the illusion of a choice.

Would you tell someone they could go away and choose another hospital if they didn't want the prayer before surgery?... Oh but they should have chosen to live near another hospital before they became sick.

You might suddenly get sick.

You don't suddenly end up a kid of school leaving age and suddenly realise you can't facilitate your life choices, in your current location.

So its a disingenuous comparison.

If we go back to the OP question. How can the faith school facilitate someone who wants to attend the faith school, but have zero contact with religion in that school, while not being treated differently from all the other kids.

That's has to be a catch 22. You can't be treated the same and differently, both at the same time. So how practically is that to be achieved. What is acceptable. Perhaps if posted what worked for them this would a more productive thread.

• Advertisement

Without a home base or societal base your kid is hardly going to become evangelical.

So what exactly is the point of religious education/instruction?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I've had a few sets of friends who emigrated to good jobs, and lived abroad for years, but who moved back to Ireland over the past few years. One factor which was common was the desire to move home before their respective eldest started school. They wanted the kids to be brought up here and avail of the Irish education system.

So, in my experience, it is not uncommon for parents to leave well paying jobs and great personal lifestyles to uproot and move between continents to benefit their kids. If moving 30km is "no choice" for others then you'd have to question the actual strength of their positions. You have a 5 or 6 year lead in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Religious experience is a part of human life. You might not personally take part in it but it's undeniable it's a huge influence. The search for the transcendent is important.

I also think religion offers a better alternative than rampant consumerism and that does not mean you must accept an afterlife or buy into 100% of a religious doctrine.

It's important to you, but is completely irrelevant to a large and growing number of people, and there's no reason or value in making their children undergo religious education if the parents are not active members of that religion.

Consumerism has got nothing to do with religion or the lack thereof. Churches are notoriously cash-greedy while preaching that money is evil!

Scrap the cap!

Suggesting that people should emigrate to find an alternative to catholic education is ridiculous, simply beyond stupid so I'd have to question how honestly this is being put forward, clearly a wind-up.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

It might the most inconvenient option but its sill an option. People do it for lots of other reasons.

I'm still interested in suggestions that solve the OPs issue, how to be fully integrated in a faith school while not having any contact with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

In the interest of fairness, it might be a good idea to have random allocation of "belief system" for children in primary school, regardless of parents belief. So, say Catholicism, Islam, Hinduism and Atheism and have it taught as fact. It will be interesting to hear the howls from Catholic parents! For those who have no religion it will be the exact same situation as we have currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Or maybe they should all be taught in proportion to their prevalence in the population? That’s fairness.

It’s ludicrous to suggest that every religion that has any adherents at all should be given equal time. That isn’t what fairness looks like. That’s what pandering to a handful of malcontents looks like.

Surely you should be educating your child on all religions then? If he is to make up his own mind?

lol. This comment is so ridiculously stupid I don't know where to start.

Firstly if you know of a school that teaches all religions as part of its curriculum?

Secondly I'm an atheist. Why would I teach him about religion if I don't believe in it. Yes I get the point of me sending my child to a catholic school but I'm not being hypocritical about sending him for a few years and then once he's settled in throwing a strop and saying I don't want my son taught religion.

If he was going to a Buddhist school I'd have no issues with him being taught Buddhism etc etc. But he's going to a catholic school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement