Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I watched it today and really liked it. Well, except for their butchering of Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back In Town

I've never heard of the man, stuck it on there on the all 4 app "Oh he's Irish"????? Googles.

Herself knows him it seems.

If you ever watch British TV, the various nighttime panel shows (8 out of 10 cats, etc) all use the same guests over and over. DO'D has managed to get himself onto these.

I also loved his shed at the start of the episode - his wife obviously doesn't insist on it storing as much crap in it as my wife does with ours 😩

His shed was a thing to behold, reminded me of the brothers round the corner where I grew up. They fixed bikes out of their shed and you'd have seen similar only not Dura Ace there lol. More the Raleigh and a Peugeot or 3 but just reminded me of having a break cable replaced in the late 80's for 50p.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Before he was famous, he wrote and starred in a musical play set in a bike shop.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once heard him asked about whether he minds british people calling him 'o'dockerty' and he said, nah, i've relatives in northern ireland who use that pronunciation of my name so i'm used to it'

my first thought was 'you're OK with your relatives pronouncing your name in a way they know you don't use?'

though to be fair, i've relatives with the surname leahy and the pronunciation changes depending on where the person saying it is from.

Yeah, I noticed they pronounce it sort of the Scottish way in UK media, even though there's no "c" in it. I think Irish people in the UK media just put up with however their names end up being pronounced. Can't even get them to stop pronouncing Irish names like Italian names (KinSELLa, CosTELLo).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gallagher is another one they can't seem to master. and even jimmy carr calls him o'dockerty, even though carr's parents are irish.

McGrath is another one. I think those ones are a little more understandable, because, even though English also uses 'h' to soften consonants (Philip, the, wrath, and so on) the idea of softening consonants that way until they actually disappear is foreign to most English speakers. But O'Doherty helpfully doesn't have the consonant written in the first place.

(The Gallagher brothers of Oasis, as far as I know, pronounce the second "g", so I presume it was just to fit in when they were kids, because I can't believe their parents ever pronounced it that way.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think if it bothered the people they'd correct it (I do with the spelling of my surname anyway, as it bugs the sh1t out of me!). Incidentally a lad I went to school with (in England) used to correct me when I pronounced his name Moran "correctly". I only really remember Big Fat Ron pronouncing McGrath and Moran "wrong" when they were at United. But isn't it just the nature of language and dialect? In my homeplace, Keane is pronounced Kane. Further off topic - we also have it with place names like Kilmacanogue and Dun Laoghaire, were Montrose has a different pronunciation to the actual residents!

"Kane" is probably the original pronunciation of Keane. "ea" used to be pronounced as it is in "great" in pretty much all words, but the "ee" pronunciation gradually took over. Ireland retains quite a few ("mate" for "meat", "bate" for "beat"). You hear it in the States in some places, with "mayzhur" for "measure".

There's a line in Shakespeare that has "raisin" and "reason" in close proximity, and it's a pun, because they used to sound identical.

Reminds me of 2 brothers I knew when I was young, surname was Keane.

One pronounced it Kane, the other keen.

we also have it with place names like Kilmacanogue and Dun Laoghaire, were Montrose has a different pronunciation to the actual residents!

can't say i've noticed this; i.e. i've only ever heard kil-mac-annog - what's the alternative used?

I think the way Parnell is pretty much universally pronounced in Ireland is not the way Charles Stuart pronounced it, and it's not the way they pronounce it in Scotland. It's PARnell there. Or at least I knew a Scottish guy of that name who pronounced it that way.

Mentioned here anyway:

"Similarly, we remember Charles Stuart Parnell as “ParNELL”, placing the emphasis on the second syllable of his name, though it is believed he would have pronounced his name “PARnell”."

https://avondhupress.ie/what-politician-cares-for-our-past-let-alone-our-future/

The RTÉ pronunciation of Dún Laoghaire is just because they're pronouncing the Irish-language version (which is its official title), and most people pronounce it with the old anglicised pronunciation (which used to bear the spelling Dunleary).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They normally say it in Irish, even in English broadcasts. All the people I know from there pronounce as you've done there (or more normally locally it's just known as Kilmac tbh).

I think I've heard it pronounced like "kill-mechanic"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

• Advertisement

don't know what prompted an editorial on this now, but i can't say i disagree with a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

What I think happened there is that the name was anglicised to Dun Leary, which at the time would have been pronounced by an English-speaker as Doon Lairy, close to the correct Irish pronunciation.

As pronunciations changed, people saw 'Dun Leary' and pronounced it as 'Done Leery'.

By the time the common spelling changed back to Dun Laoghaire, the incorrect pronunciation had become established.

I would guess that other anglicisations reflected the pronunciation when they were coined, but again the drift in pronunciation of vowels and diphthongs such as 'ea' caused a new pronunciation to become established. 'Devil' and 'kettle' would have been pronounced by Shakespeare as 'divil' and 'kittle', so 'Ennis' would have sounded like 'Inis' when it was coined, and 'Kerry' like 'Ciarraí'.

AFAIK the strangulated Received Pronunciation dates from the 18th century. Before that, English accents were much stronger. Shakespeare would probably have sounded like a Cork pirate. "Ta bay arr not ta bay, that is the kess-tee-on".

Ben Crystal, David Crystal's son, has a career in promoting Original Pronunciation for Shakespeare. Sounds good to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03gngpk

By the way, ARX, thanks for that observation. I knew about the drift in English pronunciations, but I never connected it to the idea that the spellings in the 1600s were much better approximations of the Irish.

I think Irish Cycle was writing about it recently, so might have prompted them. His article was better though, as it was about alternatives to the scheme, such as bundling e-bikes into EV grants. And it didn't have anything like that eyeroller of a final sentence.

There are limitations to the BTW scheme insofar that self employed, unemployed and others cannot avail of it. It is also at the discretion of the employing company. I recall hearing that Dunnes don't allow it for their employees for example (and this may be completely inaccurate).

Another negative is the vermin middlemen that profit from the scheme by doing pretty much nothing.

However, the scheme was designed to be simple in order to assist take up. A review of it would be welcomed but I know that centralising it will make it more complex, more time consuming and in all likleihood make it less attractive to many.

I know of one place, with over 2,000 staff onsite that do the scheme but only because one of the secretaries volunteered to handle it, otherwise it wouldn't have been offered

first step when i'm in charge would be to abolish VAT on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ya thought about this; but would rather that VAT and much more be ploughed into infrastructure.

How much would it set Revenue back a year on average I wonder?

• Advertisement

how much of the VAT currently levied on bikes is ploughed into infrastructure, though?

Advertisement