Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manufacturing Engineer II meaning

Options
  • 24-11-2021 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hi

Job hunting at the moment and iv seen a job for a manufacturing engineer II entry level.

Is entry level more suited to grads straight out of collage?

What does the II after engineering relate to?

I have a masters, engineering level 8 and 20 years experience in manufacturing, all be it as an operator and with a engineering SME for 4 yyears.my qualification were achieved late in my career.

Would I be aiming low applying for this job?

Comments

Manufacturing Engineer II would generally be some level of relevant experience. Varies by company and industry but is often at least 2 to 3 years. Eng I is usually entry level. Often companies will advertise eng II roles but a good candidate without experience may well be offered eng I position.

What salary range is on offer because that will probably give a better indication of where the role is being pitched? MEII is generally 50k to 55k. MEI ca. 42 to 48 and Graduate ME about 35k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

No salary disclosed. It's a life science company advertising on linkden.

Probably not entry level. Med device or pharma?

Med device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Just in answer to you the last part, would you be aiming low applying for this job. The next step after Eng II is Senior Eng. The experience you have described above would not be in any way suitable for that.

In my experience it would not sufficient for Eng II either but it is a job seekers market at the minute and you may be an excellent candidate.

• Advertisement

Would generally be looking for 3 years plus experience post qualification. BEng or MEng won’t make much of a difference. What was your role in the engineering SME?

Responsible for setting up CNC machines for operators. CNC programs, problems solving, carrying out FAI (first article inspection) and signing off on the part being manufactured.

I would have introduced lean practices to the department and created SOP for the setups on the machines.

I was involved in a project that utilitied the ERP system to manage bill of material parts for aerospace assembly's.

Also was involved in a project reduce setup down times on the CNC machines within the department.

Responsible for managing the material and maintenance of the machines. Would have had to get my hands dirty from time to time when maintainace weren't available.

Iso 9001 quality management

Sc21.

Gauge r and r.

SPC.

A3 projects

What was your job title?

If they are advertising ME2 they would likely hire at ME2 or ME1 level depending on candidates. If your job title was engineer, based on 4 year experience you should meet requirements for ME2 role. If it was tech or similar you’d be looking at ME1. Your cv should highlight your lean and continuous improvement activity and also project experience, quality systems knowledge etc. If you were to get an interview, being able to give specific examples of technical problem solving, change control and project management would be key. You talk of changes to setup procedures - could it have been considered a SMED project and if so could you frame it in those terms, without lying obviously. Also highlight use of statistical methods such as gage r&r and data analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I'd agree with everything raind says here hedgecutter. Great advice.

Cheers guys. I was never an engineer in the SME, felt like I was carrying out the role tho.

Some great advice raind. I must look back over the project but I don't think It could consider it SMED.

The most interesting project was the A3 one. Management of the assembly Bill of materials. Setting it up on the ERP and connecting that to a vender Management system and seeing it work was satisfying.

The SME I worked in was a bit helter skelter at times. You'd end up using tools, techniques and procedures with out realising it, then learn about them in college.

I also carried out a project for my level 8 looking at the MRP side of the ERP system. That showed big failings on the part of the company when managing there materials supply's. Once it was written I slipped it into a drawer and left it there.

• Advertisement

You would be looking at ME I roles really so, and even there they would like to see some experience, so tailoring your cv to the job description based on the Engineering type experience you have already gained would be the best bet at getting in the door for interview. Is there an opportunity for progression in your current employer. Even a year would really enhance the cv. Often prospective employers look first at the current job title. Tailoring the cv to the job description is key to get past this. Generally the hiring manager won’t have a huge amount of time to review cv’s so having something that ticks the boxes can get your foot in the door. The recruiter will just match candidates to the job description based on keywords

Contacting a coach this morning. I feel im stuck between ME I and ME II. Hopefully she will guide me. As PCeeee said its a job seekers market at the minute. I have noticed the same Engineering roles coming up since last xmas with certain companies. Im Limerick based so there is a lot of multi nationals in the shannon/Limerick area. I feel once i get in ill progress.

Honestly, based on what you have shared, you won’t be hired at an MEII level. That’s not to say you won’t be hired if you apply for a role advertised at an MEII level. From what you have shared you would be offered an MEI contract if successful based on engineering experience. Qualifications don’t really play into the level, I have seen masters and phd grads enter at graduate level, which is lower again than Eng I. With your masters you could expect a couple of grand extra on starting salary though

Advertisement