Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Having used several android boxes I will say that you'll find the Firestick far more reliable and more responsive.

The remote is very simple, but does the job.

The Firestick stock launcher is not great (well it's terrible really) but you can load your own one such as Wolf Launcher.

The only downsides of the Firestick are the limited internal storage space and the need to get a USB OTG cable to create a USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi have any of you managed to get the Livescore App working on the Firestick (for watching champions league)? I can load the apk and it opens, but it doesn't work.

Just trying to avoid casting it if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

goto downloader app install it i asume you already have it ?

in URL Bar put in applinked.store

then GO ...then scroll down and Install Applinked and Open it when done

click ADD A Store

put in my Applinked code i have Mouse toggle and Livescore App in my Store

the code = 277452355

then Submit ..

now click on Saved Stores and click the drop bar you will see my code 277452355

click OPEN ...scroll down to Mouse toggle select the one for you i have versions for all fire sticks and install , open and Run it

and Allow and accept the pop up .

then go to bottom of page of apps and you'll see Livescore click it and Install

you'll need mouse toggle double click play button to activate mouse toggle .

Does that version still require Mouse toggle to use the app itself? The version I installed a few weeks ago seems to be a version for phones and needs mouse toggle and set orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Monokne

Guys, is there an easy way to get the firestick 4k max in the Black Friday deals?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I Initially thought it was expensive at currys with delivery but I forget that I used to pay 4 extra for parcel motel to get the previous ones. 37 all in is a good price for a 4k stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is there any point in getting the 4K stick if I don't have a 4K TV?

I have 4k sticks in my 2 downstairs TV's as they have 4k, but then in the attic I just have the cheaper one as the TV is not 4k.

I am looking to replace it. It's just very slow comparatively.

• Advertisement

Thanks man. The max is 45 where the normal 4k one is only 30 which is a bit of a shame

the max is fastest and only one compatable with new av audio codec for youtube and netflix others will use older vp9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

From the reviews, it suggests not to bother upgrading to the max if you already have 4k. At 50% more cost, I'd prob still go for a regular 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I ordered a 4K max from Curry's this morning for €51.98 delivered - it's already on the way to be delivered by DPD. CEX are offering €44 cash for an 'A' rated 4K version or €37 for a 'B' so I am effectively upgrading for €8. (I keep the box, plastic, cable ties, the works! of any product I buy for just such a purpose).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Hi folks I’m looking to try watch the toy show tonight, does the rte app on the firestick show live stuff?

if u sideload the 1st version in post one with a mouse toggle then yes .

I dont know what a mouse toggle is so I presume I don’t have one! I have the player running on the laptop and have that connected to the tv via hdmi so that’ll have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

My understanding is that the mouse toggle is an app that allows the sites designed for mobile/touch to be used with the firestick remote. I'm open to correction on this, but AFAIK you can download mouse toggle apps to get around not having a mouse on the Firestick.

Yes that is correct. After Mouse Toggle toggle is installed you can double press a button on the remote that brings up a cursor on the screen which you can then guide around the screen. It is only required for some sideloaded apps. Some sideloaded apps are versions of Android that are not fully compatible with the Firestick's version of Android.

Unless you need live RTE, then the other version of RTE Player app (which has no live content) is better as it does not require mouse toggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi folks. Just reading the last couple of posts about the RTE Player. I have sideloaded the APK that doesn't have the Live feature. I cannot find anywhere an APK that has the Live function. I don't mind having to install a mouse toggle if needs be. I wonder would anyone have a direct link to that APK?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks for the reply. I actually checked that and I don't think it is. I think the link that's there is for the APK for the version that doesn't have the Live feature. It's the other one I want. Ive spent ages googling it before posting this but cannot find it anywhere. I got a few links bthat I downloaded the APK but they were all dead ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

I tried to install the rte player apk from the first post in the thread but it asks me to update straightaway when i launch it. So i did, now no live tv option. No option to not update as apk wont run without update. Any ideas?

Just got it working cleared data etc . but in the end had to change the vpn location - the connection type and then changed the encryption type on one of them and now it works - a lot more awkward to sort than i player . you know it works when the auto play trailors start lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Bought a basic firestick in the run up to black Friday as it was the cheapest and easiest way to get Apple TV+ on my very old SD TV (primarily using a nowtv box along with a chromecast beforehand).

Was pleasantly surprised with how much more I can get out of my iptv subscription via the firestick.

I have had issues though but I'm not sure if they're a result of the sideloaded apps and additional USB storage I added for recording purposes or whether firesticks are known for these.

I only have it setup a few weeks but I've already had a situation where turning it on one day required a full setup again. It was like I did a factory reset but I clearly didn't. Has anyone witnessed this before. Not going to be happy if for some reason I'd have to do this every few weeks as it's pretty tedious to fully set up.

sounds like you signed into a different amazon account on the stick that might have caused it ?

I don't think so, not even sure where you sign into your account within the interface. My firestick came associated with my amazon account to begin with too I think, I believe that was an option when buying direct from amazon. I don't remember ever having to give my credentials or even my WiFi password at either time I went through the setup process.

You could try deregistering it. That would unlink it from any account. Then you would really be starting from scratch. Worth a try before you back to Amazon for more help.

• Advertisement

If it happens again I will look at doing the above. I guess it's good to know it isn't a common issue but at the same time I hope it's something wrong with the device itself.

Advertisement