Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

It would be hilarious if the thing that finally removes NPHETs infallibility amongst the public is the mantra of ‘schools are safe’.

What a ridiculous, and unnecessary hill to die on. So much scare tactics, mistakes, delusional modelling and downright lies, and schools are the thing they’ve came a cropper on.

Though of course it’s a good thing that they might get taken down a peg. Maybe the public realising and seeing their outright lies on schools just might get them to question their expertise.

Actually, genuine question. Has any of NPHET, mainly Tony/Glynn/Nolan ever admitted they were wrong and said they made a mistake?

Glynn’s lying denial today was akin to Trumps’ alternative facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

If it was black, holohan would say it’s white.

in the eu we have 27 cmo and nphet equivalents. Why is tony often having a view opposing that of the other 26 cmos? Every other cmo is delighted with the mountain of peer reviewed of science showing just how effective antigen testing is.

the man needs to be replaced with someone less incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

The media's stories for tomorrow are not instilling confidence... caps on hospitality numbers, lowering household visits, Pfizer jab waning significantly within three months of second shot, masks for primary school children. Can anyone see the iceberg on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,299 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ICU nurses: 'No more clapping by the public or lighting candles. At this stage, it's an insult'

fair fûcks to them for speaking up and out...

proper behavior not false platitudes and virtue signaling...

want to help healthcare workers spend your efforts on encouraging proper behavior...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Balanced debate does not mean “alternative facts” based on misinformation and lies get to go unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Can't believe NPHET are still not admitting they were wrong on antigen tests, it's unbelievable.

Firstly, NPHET say if you get a negative test it will encourage you to do things? Well yeah, do things as in live our lives. It might seem like it makes sense now with cases so high not to do things but we could have encouraged antigen tests 3 months ago when hospitality was opened and not actively discouraged like now. Maybe if they did we wouldn't be in this mess now.

Secondly, last week Tony said in the previous 2 weeks 1 in 6 had flu like symptoms. Ronan said something similar this week but I think it was about 1 in 10 in a one week period. Let's go with the lower 1 in 10 as an example. Are 10% of the population (c. 500,000) expected to isolate for a number of days every time they have a little tickle in their throat? Go to the bother of trying to organise a PCR test for probably 2 days time, spend well over an hour combined travelling to/from the centre and waiting another 1 to 2 days isolating while waiting for the result? There is not enough PCR tests to test these 500k people every week anyway, never mind the asymptomatic and hospital testing on top of this.

Will antigen testing pick up all of the cases? No most likely not but it'll get vast majority and that's good enough. It's not like our current system us working as anytime time we try live anyway normally its a disaster anyway. Coming up to 2 years into this pandemic and our message is still to hide from covid rather than find ways to live with it.

I'm going to a show next week, I'll take antigen before and one a few days later. Going to a wedding a few days after that and I'll do the same. Why wasn't this kind of thing being encouraged months ago and NPHET and government have to be dragged kicking and screaming to it?

Post edited by Klonker on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Very well said. We cannot hide from this - we can use tools at our disposal to mitigate the risks. What many people have been doing over the recent period and will be ahead.

I have taken PCR tests, use rapid antigen tests as needed, wear masks, wash hands, keep distance. I eat out when I want, have the occasional pint, go to the office, visit family and travel abroad.

if i was a business i would dispair. Huge amount of uncertainty.

Post edited by Happydays2020 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well it's the only way at this stage, since there are no PCRs available.

Oh hang on, I see Ardee, an hour away from me, has 35 slots at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Antigen has to be used for symptoms as well! This idea that you only use them before you head out or visit family is thick!

also the headlines in the independent and Irish times about kids wearing masks is a **** joke! Leave the kids alone!

I’ve no issue If little Timmy wants to wear one but don’t force them on them! I’m sure it’s the teachers unions pushing for it in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And you are the arbiter of what's dangerous? You do need to be able to stand over opinions and to show that they are not based off things that are untrue or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

want to help healthcare workers spend your efforts on encouraging proper behavior...

No idea where you seen that in the article, because you didn't

The main thing mentioned was more money

BTW what's proper behavior?

Encouraging people to be healthy so that when they get Covid they won't be at risk?

OK, that's not the best article and it's all over the place. How does more money make people less "burnt out"? It's not a switch and you are or you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

From what I read the opinion seems to be, we want more money or we will leave

And tell the plebs to stop clapping, it's annoying

It looks like people were invited to go off and rant and The Journal promised to publish all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has anyone in Ireland clapped for nurses since March 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Didn't clap then either.

Not that I didn't recognise the work or the risk. Just don't tend to join in on social media tokenism.

It actually p*sses me off to see the nurses whinging about being busy.

Thousands of people were forced out of work for months. Lots of businesses went to the wall. Business is still not back to pre COVID levels for retail or hospitality so many more businesses will fail over the next few months.

They should be thankful they have jobs. I'd much rather be busy at work than struggling to feed the kids and having the bank screaming at me to pay my bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Where do you see the end goal with booster shots? Give your opinion on the matter (there is a whole boosters thread as well if you want to talk about it in more detail).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Just seen a tweet from the Pat Kenny show saying "New curbs for hospitality are on the table according to reports today". This is the first I heard of that. Is this true? Can't see it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Was on front page of independent. Didn’t fully read article as I won’t pay for it but mentions that and increased mask wearing for kids and outdoor events.!! The irony!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The vaccines still strongly protect you from serious illness. The waning is mostly for breakthrough infections.

i think masks might work. My line of work is very high risk and so far i haven’t caught Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hospital numbers down again. 598.

Small positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

598 in hospital this AM, down 13. Discharges are always sluggish until Friday night, so any decrease at all is good.

Not sure if it means anything, but when you chart the growth rates of admissions & discharges, they broadly tend to follow the same pattern.

Admissions start to grow, and then 2-6 days later, discharges start to grow too. Of course they do; more admissions must eventually mean more discharges.

And same on the way down, admissions growth drops or becomes negative, and in short order, discharge growth drops too.

This week, that pattern is not being followed. Admissions rate growth peaked on 15th and has been steadily declining since. As of this week, we have a negative growth in the admissions rate (i.e. the average number of people admitted over the last 7 days is dropping).

But ten days later, the discharge rate is still growing. It must peak, of course, but it's just curious. It bodes well though that the rate of discharges is still increasing week on week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Pat is foaming at the mouth trying to get a new full lockdown.

Probably thinks everyone has a few million in the bank as a rainy day fund like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Great post- we have been using antigen tests in this manner since last Christmas. We know it isn’t bulletproof but even when you wear a bulletproof vest you know there is still a risk of being shot in the face!

secondly is there any other country in Europe or the world where the government has taken a back step from direct leadership and allowed a hurriedly assembled group of medical influencers take charge of the day to day running of public information?

never have we had such a weak government.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Advertisement