Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

There is positive news for Leo Cullen’s side as Thomas Clarkson has returned to training after helping Dublin University secure a dramatic win away to Lansdowne at the weekend.

Will Connors is also due to train with the squad this week following a knee injury.

Jamison Gibson-Park missed Ireland’s win over Argentina with a thigh injury. He will be assessed throughout the week.

Jack Conan, Johnny Sexton and James Ryan are not available for selection this weekend after picking up injuries on international duty.

Conor O’Brien and Dave Kearney are also unavailable after picking up injuries in last week’s Leinster ‘A’ win away to Ulster.

INJURY UPDATE – AVAILABLE FOR SELECTION:

Thomas Clarkson – has returned to full training and played for Dublin University FC at the weekend following a hamstring injury

INJURY UPDATE – FURTHER ASSESSMENT REQUIRED:

Will Connors: will return to training this week following a knee injury and will be further assessed during the week

Jamison Gibson-Park: will be further assessed this week for a thigh injury

INJURY UPDATE – UNAVAILABLE FOR SELECTION:

Johnny Sexton: will be unavailable for three to five weeks with a knee and ankle issue

Jack Conan: will be further reviewed this week for a quad injury

James Ryan: has entered the Graduated Return to Play Protocols

Conor O’Brien: will be unavailable for a number of months after a hamstring injury in the Leinster ‘A’ game last week

Dave Kearney: will be unavailable for a few weeks following a back injury sustained in the Leinster ‘A’ game last week

There are no further updates on:

Michael Milne (calf), Rory O’Loughlin (shoulder)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Dave Kearney is just cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conor O'Brien is injured again?

That's just awful. Missed the guts of two years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hopefully we can get a few guys back from internationals; no reason Henshaw, Larmour, H Byrne, Baird and Sheehan can't play this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A number of months for Conor O'Brien.... that's an absolute nightmare for the lad. I really feel for him.

Hopefully he get's back later this season.

Michael Milne must have done a proper job on his calf too because he's not been available for selection at all this season and there hasn't been any updates on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

DK too! We will get Russell or Larmour this week. I would say the A Byrne will start.

This will be a cracking match, I think.

These seem like really poor questions to be honest. Toner took it all in his stride but asking a very recent international questions about the current international game has a 'salt in the wounds' element to it.

Toner is a grown up and took nothing of it, but there was a hint of exasperation from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGbDeJr5mw&list=RDCMUCGHjF23GPeIy1eyyBL8Ow2w&start_radio=1&rv=OMGbDeJr5mw&t=72&ab_channel=LeinsterRugbyTV

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dev probably knows the kind of game they're playing now and having such success with, is not the kind of game he's suited to playing, which probably causes some anxiety too.

It might be a bit of salt in the wound, but Dev never seemed like a guy with too much ego.

Jack Dunne with the Barbarians? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

because he wasnt going to play for leinster this weekend

• Advertisement

Mike Alaalatoa is playing for Samoa this weekend at 12, so absent for Leinster against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There seem to be rumours of Leinster signing an NIQ lock. It's being discussed on Babbling Brook and on Planet Rugby Forum. If it's true I really can't see the logic in the IRFU allowing it. Ireland are expected to compete with NZ, SA, England and France with Ryan, Henderson, Beirne, Baird and Dillane, but Leinster can't compete with top club sides with Ryan, Molony, Baird, Toner and Dunne as locks and Ireland's first choice front and back rows to go with them?

Was losing Beirne, Thornbury, Regan and Izuchukwu not enough? Are Leinster going to pass on the likes of Dunne, Charlie Ryan and Joe McCarthy too?

All hypothetical at the moment, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think you were looking at a squad list ordered alphabetically, not a teamsheet. I know the Pacific Island teams are struggling but don't think they're so desperate they're picking props in the centre.

They're mad to look elsewhere! Plenty of players in the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If they can bring in a world class lock it's not that off the wall a suggestion.

With Fardy gone there is a potential position open and who knows if Toner will be around for another year. Couple that with James ryans concussion issues it might be no harm to add to the squad if a suitable person was available..

Mike A named on the bench for Samoa.

Big game now for Vakh and Tom Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If the goal is to develop players from within yes they have players there if it’s to win the European cup then it’s a sensible thing to do.

it's possible to do both.. at the moment theres not much to suggest Charlie Ryan has the body for pro rugby, given his injury issues, Joe McCarthy is 20 and Jack Dunne is a work in progress..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As soon as Ryan is out, Leinster look quite vulnerable at lock. Definitely think a signing there is needed if they hope to make it past last 4 of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Big Mike A is on the bench for Samoa against the BA BA's.

Good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lets hope he gets 20 mins of "walk in the park" time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I agree. It's not Leinster's job to exclusively supply the Ireland team. I've been impressed by Moloney in the games he played. He might be good enough for most games, but at the top end of Europe, I'd have my doubts. He's a decent all-rounder but I couldn't tell you what he's really, really good at.

A world class lock is a good idea. They have front row and back row to beat the band. Second row is all that's missing.

It won't have escaped their attention that the teams who beat them in Europe the last 3 years, had excellent second rows. We talk about James Ryan as if he's world class (he may well be world class one day) but he was outshone in those games they lost in Europe. Maybe he's trying to do everything by himself and an equal partnership in the second row would free him up to do his job better. Or maybe they just need a world class second row.

How is Dunne going to kick on if he's only getting 'A' games and getting probably fewer than 5 appearances a season in the league?

the coaches seem him every day in training, if he isn't ready for europe theres no point in throwing him on the field just for the sake of it.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1463817142055448580

contract news today?

academy additions looks most likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It is a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A heavy weight lock would be a great signing. That's where we lost those games, getting smashed by Skelton and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

6 consecutive starts in Lions tests, ain't many players who manage that.

• Advertisement

I wasn't necessarily talking about Europe. But he's already turned in good performances at league level. He's not someone who's never played senior rugby. He needs more gametime.

Advertisement