Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I agree in that the car parks the length of the south quays in Waterford is some of the worst use of a Waterfront I have seen an any European city. Imagine if there a prom, walking and cycle paths, restaurants, shops, river cruises, bars and cafe's along the river instead of ground level car parks.

We should be celebrating being a city with such a large river flowing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There’s been large developments continuously moving down the quays in Cork over the last number of years. This is just the next section. Will it turn out exactly like that? Who knows? But it’s a relatively small part of a huge area that is being developed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

What are Cork Council doing right that our own Council are just continuously failing at?

I know Cork is a huge draw in comparison to Waterford, but we should be at least capable of one development on our North Quays that will sustain us for the next decade at least.

We now have a council that hasn't had any large scale development in the city centre for over three decades and I just don't think the quality, expertise or drive is there within the council to be able to deliver this kind of development within Waterford.

If you ask me - It's a case of small town ability in a city that deserves better and we can't even vote them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Think you are being unfair. Cork city gets huge government support/funding that like for like Waterford city just does not get. Not to mention Cork has constant senior ministers. You could barely even class the current government the government of Ireland. Realistically it is the government of Dublin and Cork. Cork can propose developments to developers on the basis of that. Just look at WIT for example and the barriers put up to stop it getting over the line to being a full university. The upgrade would be a huge economic driver that was blocked for no other reason than a “we don’t want you to have what we have” attitude.

I agree there is a small town mentality in some quarters but don’t think the council can be accused of that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

This is being done with private money. The reason these projects aren't happening faster in Cork is because the public money is so slow for infrastructure. Even if you look at the Kennedy Quay project posted above, there's a bridge in that will require public funding, and you can be sure that will be the issue with it coming to fruition in full. The other projects that have been ongoing/completed in the last few years Albert Quay, Navigation Square, Horgans Quay, Penrose Quay and currently The Prism haven't required much public infrastructure, so went through without much of a problem. And the bit that did, by Horgans Quay, took an absolute age, and wasn't to the spec originally mooted.

On the point about the council, Cork is at a huge advantage with huge swathes of land that is available from defunct industry, which have been earmarked for years. South docks all the way to Pairc Ui Chaoimh, the north dock along the entirety of Horgans Quay and further downstream at Tivoli with the port relocating to Ringaskiddy, opening up a huge area along the rail line.

• Advertisement

How am I being unfair? We are the 5th biggest city in the Country, with a council that have no managed to achieve any significant development in the city in three decades. This is an undisputable fact.

If Cork is a bad example, then what about Limerick and Galway? I understand completely that we only get scraps from the Government but that alone does not excuse the council's complete inability to develop the city centre. It is an unfathomable level of incompetence.

As said, the developments in Cork you are talking about are private developments, likewise in Limerick and Galway. The council are doing the infrastructure work needed to get the north quays moving. What more can Waterford council do?

How about having some vision beyond car parks in the city centre?

Waterside and Miller's Marsh are prime examples. I know that there are private ownership issues on the quays, but it is just unforgivable for it to be 2021 and 80% of the Quayside is still just car parks.

Even Newgate street has been downgraded to student accommodation. All we ever hear is that there is no interest there. I would say that whoever is selling these sites to prospective developers is just not up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

Agree with your comment about the student accommodation in Newgate St

And if TUSE gets the funding required and crystal site gets the go ahead (all a big if) then the crystal site will have student accommodation so what happens Newgate st then?

Left idle for another decade! There surely has to be a demand for a whytes of Wexford style hotel in Newgate St/Michael St area

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

It's actually hilarious when you think about all the car parks, proper eye sore and kills the city vibe straight off the bat when you get here.

• Advertisement

We expect the council to get a high rise development built on the North Quays, yet they cannot even get carparks removed the South Quays.

They are just not up to it, simple as that.

Underperformance of such magnitude would simply not have been tolerated in the private sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...you d be surprised what inefficiencies occur in the private sector, its not always what it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

I like to think about what Waterford City & County Council have achieved in the last number of years:

• Waterford Crystal Visitor Experience and Showroom
    • Total re-vamp of old "ESB Offices" on the Mall
    • New Medieval Museum
    • Transforming the Bishops Palace into a Museum (Waterford Treasures)
    • Municipal Art Gallery in O'Connell St
    • Silver Museum & Museum of Time
    • flood protection works
    • Chairman's Arch residential area (next to Christ church Cathedral)
    • Suir River Bridge and N25 Waterford City Bypass
    • pedestrianisation of City Centre area
    • Covering over & transforming the Applemarket
    • Greenway Dungarvan to Waterford
    • acquiring the North Quays site and clearing it (remember the Silos that used to greet you on arrival into Waterford)
    • securing €28 million in URDF Funding for future City Centre regeneration
    • renovation works at Mount Congreve House & Gardens (underway)
    • to come - new train station (North Quays)
    • to come - new pedestrian bridge across river at the Clock Tower (North Quays)
    • to come - North Quays Infrastructure Works

And in that list of achievements, there is a complete absence of any kind of significant development in the city centre in three decades. 30 years! This is just not acceptable for any so called "City" council. It's embarrassing. I appreciate trying to look on the positive side but it is just not good enough.

This all means no high paying finance and tech jobs for the people of Waterford. Jobs that have been flooding into the other cities over the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

I think the current council deserve some credit. Waterford was hammered by the financial crash, we have had back to back governments who have had little to no support for Waterford.

Pre the crash we have had the infamous Brendan McCann who objected to everything and drove developers away.

Even the people of Waterford such as the trade Unions were objecting against the Michael Street development so much so the project was delayed so long it never happened. I see former councilor Dick Roche recently saying something needs to be done with Michael St and be was one of the main objectors, you would have to wonder.

They seemed to really do all they good with North Quays but Falcon seemed to be somewhat of a bluff.

The fact of the matter is the government have held us back so long our city days are most likely over, we'll be no more than a regional town soon enough. Unless we get a senior minister we are well and truly fucked. Heck even our current political representatives here can't see that TU is a bad deal, they are contributing to this demotion of Waterford.

I would say the council pre the financial crash was a failure, they were just happy with developers building **** apartments for tax breaks and they had zero ambition, while also having little to no focus on tourism.

Current council I would have a go at for lack of upkeep and maintenance within the city centre.

the 08 crash has showed us yet again, 'high paying finance' jobs arent exactly what they seem to be, in fact many of them are actually bloody dangerous, we really shouldnt be encouraging and promoting these type of jobs and industries, tech jobs on the other hand definitely should be promoted, and it seems like we have a very healthily growing sector here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Tech jobs don' pay as well as the best finance jobs.

yes this probably is the case, but tech jobs arguably create better outcomes for society than many finance jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Fair play to you for putting those achievements down on paper. People were whinging about about them since the dawn of time esp. in the local press pre-online fair game opinions. Def one of the downsides to our tech advance into the unknown : everyone is an expert, everyone has an opinion. Just feeding the algorithms. As per the list the city centre is a more more appealing place to the eye which anyone above the age of 30 will attest to. Guess that is the dog eat dog consumerist neo-liberal world we currently inhabit. Got to have the big house, the new phone, the latest model of car.... keeping up with the Jones' but feeding their debt levels nonetheless. The WCCC have done a great job considering what they are given from central Govt IMO. If anyone walks through the city centre take a look at the number of homeless people; not all are foreign, or drug addicts etc. Many are young locals. Everyone should have access to housing in this day and age.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats debatable, social media as an example has a very large negative impact on society in many different ways. The massive collection of data on people worldwide has been used in extremely worrying and dangerous ways.

• Advertisement

yea i absolutely agree there, it is a very arguable statement, some tech jobs/work certainly is having a very serious negative effect on society, and the fact social media is also highly addictive which is causing all sorts of dysfunctional outcomes, it could be argued that both are now in fact highly dangerous for society, but id still like to think some tech work truly does benefit society as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Are you aware that the Council pulled the plug on the private sector company after they failed to meet their contractual obligations?

Not to mention the negative mental health affects social media is having.

...crypto mining, you could go on and on and on....

Yes, totally aware.

But then the questions are - should the council have spotted the signs before ever getting involved with Falcon? Were they just bedazzled by Falcons promises? Were Falcon actually genuine and just needed more time due to Covid? Would another more savy council have had this site developed by now?

We are now at the end of 2021 and there still hasn't been a brick laid on the Waterford North Quays and there's now zero developer interest. Keep in mind we were told this would all be wrapped up again by September, yet here we are!

I'm not sure how anyone can defend the council when it comes to major developments in the city. The fact that there isn't any should speak for itself.

the council only plays a part in such developments, many other factors are required in order for such developments to occur, and nobody could have foreseen covid.....

Ok, so its just that Waterford is an awful place with no promise and that's why no one wants to build here!

Something in the mix is just not right, to have such little development after all this time.

It just would not be tolerated in any other City, so it's no surprise that the whole country views us as nothing more than a 'town'. We certainly accept mediocre town-esque leadership.

"...there's now zero developer interest."

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think you have a bit of a jaundiced view of the council and you're not being objective in fairness. You're backtracking now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Valhalla90

The council put all its eggs in the one basket I feel with Falcon, the site should have been divided up to prevent a total pull out and stall like what has happened. Its a SDZ which gives huge clarity and certainty to developers so it should be attractive. When the connection to the clock tower is made and the train station relocated it will change the site completely as it will be a main access route for the trains and Ferrybank area to the city centre. I understand the retail interest may not be there but surely the accommodation and hotel part of the development could proceed in the near future.

Advertisement