Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Apparently it does if the subject is 'schools'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This must be a new level in "searching for ominous-sounding headlines"

"Expected to consider"

Not "expected to recommend"..."expected to consider"

In other words, "We think NPHET is going to discuss whether increases in mask wearing should be recommended".

Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"increased mask wearing"

So double masking? Triple for that nice suffocation feel?

In a sense yes. If we all wore a fresh one properly every single time we were around people they would help.

However, stuffing a 10 day old disposable mask on your face while you run into the shop isn't doing anything

Or socially distancing in a queue while wearing masks and then all getting on an aeroplane and removing the masks to eat and drink etc

In other words, they are pretty useless when you factor in human behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The media pushing for more restrictions lads. Watch this space.

What do we do with primary school kids that don't want to wear a mask? Remove them from school? Arrest them?

Madness. Numbers dipping nicely and we're still having to listen to media wanting more restrictions etc. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think it's more trying to find the most negative angle rather than pushing for more restrictions. Not sure if that's much better to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

10 day old! 😁

10 months old is more like it, people only wear them for public transport or going into shops etc.

Media are a disgrace and forcing masks on 6 yr olds .shame on them but hey it’s only their education and leaning.doesn’t matter covid the bogey man trumps everything

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Since the advent of the internet and people deciding they didn't want to pay for their news anymore, it's all about the clicks to encourage ad revenue. So you're always going to get clickbaity headlines like this, with the actual facts buried deep in the article (if at all, with some outlets).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s abhorrent and oppressive towards our kids! They need to see facial expressions and mannerisms to develop. Like I said if they want to wear one then fine but don’t force masks on the kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Twice now the public have been deemed stupid by NPHET , we were all too stupid to use masks while the rest of Europe got on with it .Now we are all far to stupid to use antigen tests while Europe has coped for six months or more .

So if we are all that stupid perhaps then show us how , videos on all media that will educate us dopes .If they dont trust us then for heavens sake show us how and get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I wouldn’t have much confidence in antigen tests tbh.

My daughter was a close contact and tested positive via pcr on day 10 and was negative on her day 0 test

Out of interest we did an antigen test on her the day we received confirmation of her positive pcr and the antigen test returned a negative result

ETA- she was asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

That vaccine efficacy can decrease? Not really?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No?

This is about the risk of infection, not the efficacy of the vaccine against serious illness and death. When the vaccines were first rolled out, we had no clinical data about their effectiveness against infection. That wasn't tested. We had broad-spectrum data which indicated that there was a defence against infection for some amount of time, which we then saw - in the data and anecdotally - that breakthrough infections were more likely after a time, but the efficacy against serious illness remains strong.

People have been banging on since January that because vaccinated people can get Covid that the vaccines don't work. But it was never claimed that being vaccinated would protect against getting covid. Because that was never tested.

Any road, this is more evidence that an elimination strategy is an impossibility. Vaccination of under-12s and boosters for the under-40s are an absolute waste of money, and bordering on criminal when you have millions elsewhere in the world with no vaccines at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This week Tony is using 1 in 7

"The most important action you can take if you experience any symptoms of COVID-19 is to self-isolate immediately. This means staying indoors and avoiding contact with other people, including, in so far as possible, those you live with.

"<snip> copyrighted text deleted - 1 para plus link permitted

That's 714,285 people that Tony wants to get PCR tests

Now considering that we're currently doing about 210,000 PCR tests per week that's over 3 week wait for PCR if everyone who has a sniffle self isolated and waited for a test if nobody else developed symptoms over the course of the next 3 weeks

It's a nonsense of health advice when we don't have PCR test capacity in those numbers

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He either doesn't understand or doesn't care that his advice isn't practical for a large number of people. Not everyone can take a few days off work while they wait for a PCR test appointment and result. He seems to be under the impression that people who can't get a PCR test will wait until they can - but not everyone is going to do that. By getting behind antigen testing, at least some potential COVID cases would be caught, which is better than nothing.

The fact that the man overseeing our COVID strategy doesn't seem to realise this is concerning.

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tony Holohans incompetence was clear from month 2 of this, never mind year 2.

It says a lot about this country that he remains in his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The obsession by some here about the media is embarrassing. Fear sells and always has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Yes it was. The prominent posters in this thread who will say "it wasn't" were posting day and night to dispute anything related to waning, including studies FROM PFIZER just 3-4 weeks ago.

In general the public narrative (and on this thread) is several months behind the actual science, I'm finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

I don’t usually post much prefer to just lurk and read. I have flipped flopped from open up to lockdown myself and have had both jabs.

I have to say that in the beginning this was all about been in this together and we can’t lockdown just the old and vulnerable. Which I think everyone agreed with.

However in the last couple of months it amazes me how quickly we are to call lockdown on hospitality,the unvaccinated, How now we are starting to shift the blame to primary schools it seems to me that we aren’t all in this together by a long shot. The government are willing to blame anyone but themselves.

This virus is not going anywere but it’s clear as day that it is less prevalent in the summer months. The government needed to open earlier in the spring and then if it required masks etc coming into winter people will be more willing to do it.

There have been many mistakes made in relation to the handling of this but still we have no accountability it’s just blame blame blame. It really baffles me how the media don’t question anything. If we asked more question we may have been better prepared and maybe be in a better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They are next to useless tbh. Plenty of countries in Europe have widespread antigen use and they are no better or worse than us in regards covid spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Absolutely. The best bit is that you still need to isolate for another 48 hours even after a negative test if symptomatic (which includes a runny nose). In my household if every time one of us had a runny nose that person had to isolate while we wait 2 or 3 days for a test and 1 or 2 days for the result and then another 2 days on top even if negative, there would be someone in the household isolating on a permanent cycle from about mid October to early April. In fact I get some cold symptom most weeks in winter. I reckon I on my own wouldn't be far off being permanently isolated for 4+ months - I.e. by the time I followed Tony's protocol for symptom 1 (say a runny nose), which would take broadly a week from initial onset of the symptom, I'd have developed a new, different cold with a sore throat and would have to start all over again...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Jabbed on Monday, weakened on Tuesday, immune on Wednesday, transmitting on Thursday, waning on Friday, worried on Saturday, boosted on Sunday.

This has been highlighted by RiochtConor on twitter, whose interpretation of the data I can sometimes find to be too much confirmation bias and not objective enough. Nevertheless, we have this from Paul Reid yesterday:

5,800 staff on covid-related absence. Hmm.

In September, the HSE had a total absence of 5.89%, out of which 1.09% was covid-related. Helpfully, the HSE has around 100k employees, so we can say that's about 5,800 staff out, of which 1,000 were Covid-related.

Of course, that's September, not November. If we look at the overall data, the number of confirmed cases has tripled in the population between September and November. Which would be 3,000 HSE staff. Right? And you could argue that being on the front line, HSE staff are more at risk of their rates more than tripling.

However, the HPSC has helpfully been producing reports that tell us what proportion of cases are in healthcare workers (HCW). Unfortunately they only started at the end of October, but what they do tell us is that proportion of HCW workers getting covid has dropped by about two-thirds in the last month. 3.06% of all cases were in HCW at the end of October, as of yesterday that was 1.13%.

So what we can say is that in spite of the increase in covid cases generally, that they've been static or reducing in HCW for at least a month, if not longer.

This means that there is basically no way at all, that there are 5,800 HSE staff out with covid.

Like the discussion a couple of weeks ago about scoliosis surgery, this is another example of where HSE management is using "covid" as a catch-all excuse for gaps and failures in their organisation.

Will they ever actually get pulled up on it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Where are the educational bodies on this? Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Teachers, Principals, SNA's. They know full well masks will hinder the child's learning of phonics, literacy, communication skills, and multiple other areas in the curriculum. It is heavily covered in Third Level training before Covid was ever in existence - the importance of oral language as a foundation for most subjects across the curriculum at Primary Level. Communication skills across all curricular areas in modern day children has already declined hugely - the numbers needing help in this area is already huge. Speech therapists are overwhelmed publicly and privately. NPHET coming along with this recommendation is criminal for Primary School children - it's just a ploy to try and force the vaccine on children in the New Year. Will there be any accountability for this absolutely shameful state of affairs?

INTO should disband and a new union formed - they're listening to a noisy minority of teachers who just want to stay at home and have failed to put in simple mitigation measures with the Department. Covid is far less of a threat to children than flu, RSV, Norovirus and other bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Covid is the goldengoose for the HSE - they can blame all their organisational failings on it. Once covid is gone, it will still be blamed for the state the health service finds itself in then (waiting lists are all because of covid - not because we had massive waiting lists pre covid, etc)

They will do whatever they can to shift the blame off themselves and onto covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I was listening to Tony and Ronan saying this on multiple radio shows the last few days and I nearly felt like throwing my phone out the window in frustration that not one interviewer (that I heard anyway) pick up in this impossibility that a seventh of our population need to go for a PCR test each week, not including close contacts or hospital testing.

It might as well just be no one is allowed leave their house but for the 200k who win the weekly raffle of a PCR test. They then get freedom for a week until they get locked up again and back into the raffle. Actually, I may copywrite this strategy incase Tony steals it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think they are an absolute disgrace. Parasites at this stage. Nothing wrong with calling them out in it either.

Advertisement