Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBS Sky BB 30 a month with 50 cashback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

New router arrived this morning, due to go live on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,811 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How long does it take to get a call back from sky usually?

Stuck in for a call back this afternoon to see what they say on a chat.

Update: VF stopped working at 9am to the minute. Connected up the new sky router and am up and running.

Speeds exactly the same as VF.

Latency: 7ms

Down: 85m

Up: 20m

Very happy with that. Now just wait for the prepaid card and a few free pints over the weekend😁

• Advertisement

Signed up this morning, really lovely agent on phone

Took my SIRO account number, checked I could switch and then went through the details. Handy the router can be sent to my work address. The card will be sent out after 2 months which is understandable. FUP of 2Tb

3 days now and no call back after requesting one on OBS website.

I think I might just give sky a call myself later this afternoon.

I rang the number, went through a menu and talked to someone straight away. I says OBS offer and he straightaway knew what I was talking about.

Well that was quick and easy I must say and at €30 a month that is a good bargain for me anyway thank you OP.

• Advertisement

I ordered last week and hub still hasn't arrived. My sky says "coming soon". Anyone know how long it should take? Activation is Mon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Spn744

Mine arrived within 24 hours of placing the order, activation was today (2 days later) if you don’t get it by Monday I’d contact them! I was with Vodafone before and strangely the wifi modem worked despite it having changed to sky so I don’t think you’ll be without internet for any time.

I am still waiting for my hub as well after signing up last Friday and I am due to be connected next Wednesday.

I'm also unable to set up my Sky ID as I had previously used my email address years ago and it won't let me create/add a new ID to that email address. I tried a new email address and I got diverted to the UK Sky site which is annoying as crap as I'm not going to burn through email addresses trying to get it up and running.

On a side note I also got my call back from OBS this morning after requesting it on the 10th of November.

got an email just now, dispatched, arriving Mon by anpost. It's switching Monday.

Well go onto Sky and ended up going back and forward with them on WhatsApp which turned out to be very handy.

They confirmed the engineer would be bring the hub with him on Wednesday and they helped set up a new Sky ID all in all that WhatsApp assistance is a hell of a lot easier that being on hold on a phone all the time waiting to talk to someone.

I'm slightly annoyed. My activation date is Mon 22nd, hub arriving Mon 22nd. But suddenly it changes on Sun 21st. Now, my pure fritzbox keeps working fine etc but what if it didn't, a date of 22nd for change over means 22nd for changeover.

On a side note, does anyone know what happens when you move from PURE, do they look for the fritzbox back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Vodafone wouldn't go lower than €35 for me, even when put through to the loyalty team. The rep's whole attitude changed from happy and bubbly to a quiet monotone as she processed my cancellation request (contract ends early December). The Vodafone support staff I've dealt with in the last year would be my only knock against them after years of good broadband service.

I'm currently on FTTC and but for the fact Vodafone sent a letter out saying they were increasing the price by €5/month for non-FTTH connections I wasn't too pushed about shopping around. Going from €40 (soon to be €45)/month for ~40Mb to €30/500Mb will be nice.

One thing I had to query with Sky when signing up was the "Unlimited off-peak calls to Irish landlines" in the ad. The Sky rep said it wasn't included and it was an error by OBS that should have been removed a few weeks ago. He talked with his manager and offered me Sky Talk at €5/month with a €60 credit to cancel it out. Not many probably care about making landline calls but it's something to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭feargantae

Forgot to post an update! Sky are €45 for 1Gb through OBS with the €50 giftcard.

I chanced my arm and tried to haggle with Vodafone (paying €55 for 1Gb atm) and they got down to €35 recontracted for 12 months! I'm delighted with that, even including the €50 card from Sky it's still cheaper. Better value than VF's new customer offer too(€45), albeit that comes with ""€160"" worth of Google home stuff.

Cheers OP, wouldn't have bothered looking without this thread!

The sky price is dear for 1Gb compared 30 for 500.

Switching with siro seems so much easier than old copper days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Filled in the callback form last Thursday and only got a call this morning. Very slow turnaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Signed up for this but didnt receive the 50 cash back as I had an account for tv with sky already, complained to OBS but they said it was in Skys

T&C. With regards to Pure they told me to keep the equipment as it was mine, Have sky broadband activated but havent set up their router yet

the fritzbox is still working.

Same here re fritzbox and have had no issues. Didn't even have to update the pure credentials. Thanks for the info re PURE and the modem.

even without the 50 cashback, it's a damn good offer at 30 a month

Well this turned into a complete disaster for me, One cancelled engineer date last Tuesday week at 5pm that was due between 8am and 1pm after I waited around all day.

The on the second date again due between 8am and 1pm he turns up at 5pm looks at the two yes TWO SIRO boxes on my house and say sorry neither of them are any good I need to run a cable from your neighbors house 3 meters away however I cannot do that and a team will be here to do that on Monday.

Monday arrives and no team arrive so I ring SKY and/Siro/Actavo the complain and ask what the story is. Sky are like nothing to do with use they are not our engineers which I say you are happy to call them your Sky engineers on the MY Sky app. Siro/Actvo say they will be there with in 5 days.

Now today at 4:30pm for Siro/Actvo saying sorry those lads won't be able to pull that cable till sometime in 2022 but the can't confirm when in 2022 so do you want to wait!

I told them where to go in no uncertain manner.

Sky then ring to say Siro/Actvo just rang us to say you want to cancel your Broadband why's that and when I tell them they say ah well sorry.

So now I have also lost whatever retention offer Eir were offering me to stay and I have to look for a new provider.

It looks like I'll have to go back to Eir with my tail between my legs for a new contract now since there's ended yesterday.

Sorry to hear that. in fairness to sky, that'd happen with every operator as the contractor would do that. I don't get why there's an issue if there's a siro box installed on your house? And why can't sky sell you FTTC if you can't get FTTH?

I asked Sky could I get FTTC while waiting for the FTTH to connected then switch and they said no they can't do that I would have to take out a 12 month contract on one or the other.

I'll shop around again tomorrow and probably resign with EIR as I am now out of contract and disconnected for the FTTC 34.99 a month and get the Prime video deal they are offering new customers and I'll chance it and see if I am considered a new customer.

A part of me wants to rip those Siro boxes off my house and see how long it takes engineers to arrive to fix them I can bet it wouldn't be sometime in 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Trevord

Hi, I have FTTC with Vodafone that they have now upped to €50pm. I am out of contract with them.

I know SIRO is available as my neighbours either side have it.

To get this Sky deal do I need to cancel with Vodafone first? My next bill is due for payment on Dec 8th?

Could I cancel with them now and would my service continue to run til Dec 8th?

Is there a risk I could end up with no service for a period while I wait for the SIRO engineer to connect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

My Vodafone FTTH contract is going to finish on 10th January. i rang them yesterday to give 30 days notice as the best they could do for renewal was €45 per month. I am just wondering if i go ahead with this sky offer and get the switch process completed before 10th January. will i be penalized for breaking contract or they just bill me till 10th January?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

If FTTH is available at your home then Vodafone will upgrade you for free (minimum contract of 12 months applicable). so check with them before ordering SIRO through another provider.

Plan B - If you are ordering SIRO through a provider other than Vodafone then you don't need to cancel your current vodafone FTTC in order to get a SIRO connection. Just order SIRO (make sure it is available at your home address) once you have an installation date then go ahead and cancel vodafone FTTC.

I had same with VF, they wanted full price for changing to FTTH from FTTC. As other poster said, your siro can be setup and you pay both side by side for 2-3 weeks but it'll still be better value if you can secure a decent offer. Note tho that siro could find an issue that delays installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Driver - how did find Pure? I have OpenEir 300K Rural fibre outside the door and Pure is popping up as reasonable - €35/mth same as Sky though without the extra #50 via the OBS offer. I don't really care about top speed as long as I can get consistent say 20mbps for HD streaming.

Advertisement