Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Well, the advice to you is to use masks proper way so. If somebody is not able use them how they should, well that doesn't makes masks wearing useless for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I wonder which will take priority, the boosters or vaccinating 5-11 year olds? We'll hit our capacity so choices will need to be made presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NIAC haven't done their thing yet and I doubt they will look at 5-11 year olds this year. That said, as some posters have pointed out they'll do well to get above 50% of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I guess the question is whether the current vaccines for children had longer trials in order to fully flush out unknown longterm side effects.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The boosters are already getting priority to be fair. The weekly vaccination numbers will be back at June/July levels soon.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Who has argued the view on schools expressed by NPHET should go unchallenged?

While mentioning that - what was actually said was schools are safe at lower community transmission levels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

It will be a sad day for this country if masks are mandated for children. As it is, I'm starting to question whether the constant use of masks and hand sanitiser is effecting our immune systems, never known so many people to have a winter cold, especially at this early stage of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

I mean they're currently running at 1.5 times the death rate that we are. (Based on the last 7 days) So they are worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Personally i stopped bothering with masks months ago now just after i was vaccinated also i never got into the whole sanitiser thing tbh. I wash my hands after going to the toilet and food preparation but that's about it. If we don't get back to normal with this level of vaccination then we never will. One of the reasons the testing centres are being over run is every tom dick and harry with a sniffle is booking a test instead of people who are genuinely sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Absolutely. The fact that there is no public health campaign urging people to change and safely dispose of masks frequently is proof that they are only for show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's pure fiction at this stage. Numbers are dropping in hospitals. Any further restrictions if recommended by nphet need to rejected by government and questioned by the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

But the others are vaccinated and what happens in 3 months time?a booster for kids?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That's it, we have done antigens over a number of days and he is clear.He is at home for a rest for a couple of days, but his siblings are gone to school as there is nothing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Leo said today “ It would be a big mistake to impose a whole set of new restrictions in the coming days to find out the country has turned a corner anyway”

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Those vaccines last longer than 3 months,not a fair comparison really

jacdaniel2014, 'discredited' for many on boards is 'I said you were wrong and posters thanked me so that means you're discredited'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

That's pretty stark. Forget about NPHET, the HSE or the Government, none of them would particularly encourage you to follow their advice but that stat alone should be enough for every person, without a medical excuse, to get jabbed immediately. It is pretty outrageous than anyone, without a medical reason they can't, would hold out now. Clearly vaccines won't stop you getting or spreading covid, but the evidence they hugely reduce risk of serious illness and death is irrefutable. I don't care if I get labelled a fascist for saying this, but if ICUs get to the stage (I doubt they will as it happens) where there is a choice between an unvaccinated by choice covid person and a patient with some other issue, both needing a bed, then the unvaccinated person has to drop down the queue as far as I'm concerned. That poor person who lost out on a transplant this week is the perfect example of that (unless there are facts around that I don't appreciate).

Hopefully NPHET are on the same page here and Holohan doesn't do another solo run. Onwards and upwards and have a good normal social Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

But according to Tony and Ronan, Tom, Dick and Harry are right!

• Advertisement

This is a strange study.

It found increasing test positivity in people who self presented for test across a period of increased positivity and overall prevalence. These were people who had symptoms or self presented for other reason, and are not representative of the broader population. It did not compare rates of infection in vaccinated or unvaccinated across the time period.

Its obvious from the data presented that this casued problem in the results - eg. the older the person, the fewer of them were included in the later part of the study therefore the rates in this group didnt go as high - eg. there were not many tested when prevalence was high. And you can actually see in the over 60 group where the first 3 time points are flat because this group would be dis-proportionally represented in the May to Jul time period

Its even acknowledged in the conclusion

Conclusions

In this retrospective large cohort study, performed in individuals who received two doses of the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine, protection seemed to decrease over time, and the risk of breakthrough infection by SARS-CoV-2 increased progressively compared with the protection provided during the initial 90 days. Interpretation of the findings of the study is limited by the observational design, but the results suggest that consideration of a third vaccine dose might be warranted.

Now, having said all that, there is evidence of some level waning. This just isn't it. Any study into that needs to include un-vaccinated control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I posted this earlier in the restrictions thread.

I'm a teacher in primary school and also a mother to school going kids. The thoughts of having to make kids wear masks does not sit right with me. Teachers are reporting problems starting to emerge in children as they can't see the teachers face when they are learning sounds in the infant end and also problems with language development. These issues will persist and have huge impacts on children in later years. When will someone say stop? Kids should be left alone. How is it worse for my children to sit in a classroom all day than invite kids over to play with them. The pod/bubble idea only exists in Norma's head. The reality is so much different.

Totally agree the outcome of this is going to have repercussions for years to come. And they already huge waiting lists are only going to get longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Kids can get the flu vaccine yearly, travel vaccines are topped up every few years according to risk (i.e. travel to certain regions) and schedule.

And yes, you can be excited about the study that shows that vaccines begin to wane after 3 months (they last longer than that of course, but why let facts get in the way of idiotic statements), but that's been known about for a good while now so doesn't really change anything.

I mean, really, is this the level you are reducing yourself to? Did you post it in jest as a weak wind up attempt or actually believe it? (you've posted it incorrectly twice already)

Those vaccines last longer than 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Whats the actual point of NIAC?

They will and have always just followed what the EU regulators have approved.

Are they just another quango or do they serve a purpose?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Too late. The damage is done. Events postponed. Christmas parties cancelled. We’re imposing restrictions on ourselves that haven’t even been announced. All to be seen to be doing the right thing. It’s bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That unvaccinated in ICU stat is fairly damning. 10s of beds that could be available for cancer and transplant patients, accident victims, etc. taken up by unvaccinated people.

Does anyone understand the graphs which go up? I don't. There I admitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You will notice also when cases are discussed in kids they NEVER mention hospitalisations or deaths, because they dont exist and anyone young with covid issues has other serious complications far and above covid.

There are far more threatening illnesses out there for kids like RSV that actually result in hospitalisations and deaths yet we dont apply the same measures to them.

And we should also investigate the possibility of high level herd immunity in school kids because of the Governments decision to stop contact tracing and massive asymptomatic infection in enclosed environments. Be good to see a study of antibody presence in school kids.

The main issue though is ICU capacity in reality. We have 93 percent vaccinated. We should be able to cope. I don't understand why someone wouldn't get vaccinated but strangely enough I do respect it.

• Advertisement

Not far off? Are you serious? Masks everywhere (possibly outdoors soon and on small children), social distancing everywhere, bars, pubs, cafés, restaurants, and really all businesses, can't operate properly because of restrictions, vaccine cert required almost everywhere, celebrity doctors and scientists in the media every day warning about covid armageddon, constant threat of lockdowns.

While in England it's more or less life as normal. I've been there several times in the past few months. It's awful having to come back to Mask.

Advertisement